Champb

Mar 18, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ
Hello,

I have an 8 month amazing bulldog... He was recently diagnosed with elongated soft palate.. Which has caused him aspiration pneumonia. He has been on chloramphenicol for about 3 weeks now. However, hes not eating anything at all, he vomits anything he eat, he's lost 5 pounds. He does drink a lot of water, but now i also notice he started to shiver ans his ear are always cold. Ive taken him back to the vet plenty of times, stomach xrays, barium study and everything seems good besides his lungs.

I was just wondering if anyone had their bulldog on chloramphenicol before and if they had similar sode effects? Or should I continue to search for something else besides his aspiration pneumonia

Thank you :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no experience w/this, but I'm going to tag some members that may be able to advice… so sorry about your baby, and please keep us posted!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
hi [MENTION=13896]Champb[/MENTION], is Champ still taking the chloramphenicol now and if so, how much longer does the vet want him to be on it? I had to do some reading about this drug and found that yes, the vomiting and lack of appetite can be major side effects. Has he had some blood tests done recently? the shivering can be a sign of anemia as chloramphenicol can cause certain types of anemias (this was the main reason why oral forms were taken off the market for human use).

I would talk to your vet about alternative meds for Champ, or get a 2nd opinion. The wt. loss, shivering, vomiting are all very concerning symptoms.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've had two bullies go through the procedure but never used this drug... I would definitely be asking for a different med from your vet.

Sending lots of love and positive thought to you and your baby

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hello,

I have an 8 month amazing bulldog... He was recently diagnosed with elongated soft palate.. Which has caused him aspiration pneumonia. He has been on chloramphenicol for about 3 weeks now. However, hes not eating anything at all, he vomits anything he eat, he's lost 5 pounds. He does drink a lot of water, but now i also notice he started to shiver ans his ear are always cold. Ive taken him back to the vet plenty of times, stomach xrays, barium study and everything seems good besides his lungs.

I was just wondering if anyone had their bulldog on chloramphenicol before and if they had similar sode effects? Or should I continue to search for something else besides his aspiration pneumonia

Thank you :)

One of mine had Aspiration/Pneumonia also due to an elongated palate. He wasn't on chloramphenicol though, he was two different antibiotics- Baytril and Clavamox. First two days he spent in a vet hospital receiving them through an IV.

When he was released, they put him on a ton of medications to combat the nausea and vomiting. I posted the crazy schedule here and referred back to it every day.

I'm listing all the medications he was on to stop the nausea and vomiting. As you can see, there were quite a few.

"Medication schedule is:

5 am Omeprazole (for antacid)
5:30 Cisapride (for GI Mobilitly. Thank you @cali baker for letting me know what it is)
6:00 Clavamox 1 pill (antibiotic wrapped in ice cream)
Food 1/2 cup.
8:00 half of a crushed Sucralfate tab in a syringe with 3cc of water. He hates this. (I had to squirt it down his throat to coat his esophagus)

Noon- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of food.

2 PM Cerenia for anti-vomiting.

4 Sucralfate in syringe again

5:30 Cisapride again
6:00 Clavamox 1 pill (again) with ice cream AND
Baytril 2 pills (another antibiotic) broken into pieces and given with ice cream
Feed about 1/2 cup. Since the antibiotics need to be taken with food.

9:00 1/4- 1/2 cup of food.
10:00 Last dosage of Sucralfate."

All of the above, aside from the antibiotics, was to keep him from vomiting.
Is your bulldog getting any of these? If not, speak to your vet about them.

My vet at the hospital was very aggressive when it came to treating this, and I swear all these meds. saved him.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13896]Champb[/MENTION] I think the vomiting is being caused by the pneumonia and elongated palate right now. I remember Wellie constantly gagging and throwing up a little kibble here and there until he finally aspirated. When he diagnosed with aspiration/pneumonia, it took a little over 3 weeks until his lung x-rays were finally clear. Then we scheduled him for surgery to get his soft palate fixed. After the surgery, he no longer gags or vomits. Has a ton more stamina too.

OP
C

Champb

Mar 18, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ
Hello everyone, thank you for your reply, Champ went under surgery Saturday to correct his elongated soft palate and He is already doing so much better! He has not vomited and He is back to being crazy for food. He was sent home on a few medications including Omeprazole, Cisapride baytrol, there's more but I don't remember the names. He's pneumonia is not 100% clear so he has to continue the baytrol until then.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello everyone, thank you for your reply, Champ went under surgery Saturday to correct his elongated soft palate and He is already doing so much better! He has not vomited and He is back to being crazy for food. He was sent home on a few medications including Omeprazole, Cisapride baytrol, there's more but I don't remember the names. He's pneumonia is not 100% clear so he has to continue the baytrol until then.

What a wonderful update! So glad Champ is slowing getting back to himself. Keep him on the meds, and soon he'll be 100%. Thank you for the update, love it when they are good ones! Hugs to Champ!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13896]Champb[/MENTION] glad to hear he's better.

Can you post the name of the vet or hospital that did the surgery?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

So good to hear all went well!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online