WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Hi all,
Today I got home from work and noticed Ollie's eye was extremely bloodshot and bright red. It was swollen and she was squinting a lot and rubbing it. I brought her right to the vet and he did a fluorescent dye test and diagnosed her with a corneal ulcer.
I adopted her last month and my vet had warned me that corneal ulcers can be common in bulldogs so we were both sad to see it happen already.
She is on antibiotics to prevent infection and pain killers as my vet has explained that this is extremely uncomfortable for her. (My poor sweet girl!!)
He said that if her eye hasn't cleared up in a week I am to take her back in so he can check it again to see if it is healing. If not then she may require surgery to fix it.
Has anyone had experience with this? Did it heal naturally without the surgery? Has this recurred in your dog? Is there anything more I can do to relieve her discomfort? I just want this to heal up quickly so she can get back to feeling herself again!
As always, thanks for all your help! I would be lost without this site!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey had this. He was prescribed with 2 drops and an ointment. I also had him wearing a doughnut collar so he does not rub his eyes. He went through the medication was ok after a week.

OP
WhitneyBlanche

WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Thanks for letting me know, I'm hoping Ollie recovers as well as Harvey did. No cone for her but she isn't scratching too much. She tries to scratch for a few minutes after the drops but I've just been snuggling her after so she can't get her paw up there. She forgets about it a few minutes later!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wally has one right now… we are giving him drops and ointment. Sometimes ulcers occur because of injury (which is what we believe happened w/Wally) or sometimes it's because of eyelash disorders. Wally was diagnosed w/distichiasis which is in laymen's terms eyelashes that grow inside the eyes that cause irritation. He will need surgery to remove these eyelashes or they will just keep growing back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.