Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Hi-
I let Cricket out last night at about 9:30. She was in the back yard for maybe 10 minutes. When she came back in, she had about eight mosquito bite sized lumps all over her back and on her legs (none on her belly, paws, or chest. I even checked in her mouth- no welts in her mouth). The biggest one was on the side of her ribs.. that was about 2 or 3 mosquito bite sizes. There's no scabbing, no hair loss, and she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. She's been a bit itchy, but I think it's because pollen levels are through the roof right now (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area). It was pretty warm yesterday, but not when I let her out last night. I gave her half a benadryl last night (she's small- only 40 pounds), a full one this morning at breakfast, and another one just now with dinner. Some of the lumps have gotten smaller, but not a whole lot.
Do bulldogs react to mosquitoes? My other bully never showed any symptoms of reacting to mosquitoes, so this is new to me. What topical medicines could I use to help Cricket? (I'm thinking about Avon's Skin-So-Soft.. it has citronella in it)
Is this even a mosquito bite or could it be something else? This came on pretty fast.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Definitely sounds like hives, but I don't know exactly what caused it, happened to us once with a bee sting, but she also swelled up in her face. The welts were pretty big. Could be grass pollen ants or anything that can cause a reaction like you are describing, the benedryl will help with the itching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Definitely sounds like hives, but I don't know exactly what caused it, happened to us once with a bee sting, but she also swelled up in her face. The welts were pretty big. Could be grass pollen ants or anything that can cause a reaction like you are describing, the benedryl will help with the itching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree… it's hard to know what the reaction could be from. I've had bullies get stung by bees/wasps and onetime we think it was a spider bite. Benadryl is a MUST, and if you notice any breathing issues (or the swelling gets worse especially in the face area) take them to the vets ASAP!!! This is considered an emergency… keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could even be a tree or bush she is allergic to or a spider bite :faint: Keep Benedyl on hand... 1 mg per pound of dog up to 3x a day

OP
B

Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Cricket's much MUCH better. maybe one or two tiny bumps, but when I gave her the once-over last night, the biggest one had shrunk to 1/4 its original size. I don't feel any bumps on her anymore... I don't know what it was but I'm thinking spiders, mosquitoes, or ants. I don't think wasps/bees are too active at night?
She's still a little itchy but it seems bearable. Her face isn't swollen nor is she having problems doing anything she normally does (this includes chewing on things she's not supposed to chew on)...
I'm going to keep her on the benadryl for another 24 hours, just to be sure... but.. whew. that was just bizarre. Thanks for the help, everyone! I feel a lot better knowing you're around. :)
Cindy (and Cricket)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.