amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Last night at around 10, Archie suddenly started frantically rubbing at his right eye. He was trying to use his paw, the carpet, the sofa, my husband's shirt, anything around him. We noticed immediately that his right eye was closed tight as well. We kept him from rubbing at it & tried to coax it open because by the way he was acting, we thought for sure that something was in his eye. He was literally fine one minute & frantic the next. We couldn't get him to open his eye on his own & didn't want to risk injuring him so we ended up giving him a half of Benadryl & he fell asleep & slept soundly all night. This morning he work up & was still favoring the eye. It wasn't closed tight anymore, but there was lots of squinting. It also looks swollen to us, much the same as it did after his eye surgeries. He's had entropion in the left & right eye as well as cherry eye surgery in the right. The swelling is more on the outside corner of his eye rather than the inside. My husband just left to take him to the vet. Hoping to get some answers. Poor boy. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor guy! Might have scratched it on a tree branch or bush?
Our Frenchie did this and it was his cornea - scratched it and we had to do eye ointment for like two weeks -- it was exactly how you described it

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have no experience with this, but I hope Archie is feeling better soon. I would call the vet.

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Well, my poor boy has entropion in the upper lid of his right eye. He had surgery in that eye for entropion but it was the lower lid. The vet told my husband that it's probably been happening slowly & then suddenly the upper lashes were rubbing & that's why he was so frantic. So, surgery tomorrow. He turns 1 next Thursday so he'll be a cone head for his birthday. My poor guy! ��

OP
amdeemer

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
So we are feeling hopeful about Archie this evening. The vet had us put a steroid ointment in his eye a few times today & now, other than some slight swelling, his eye is wide open & looks perfectly fine. It doesn't seem to be bothering him anymore. I can see his entire upper lid & all of his lashes without a problem. There appears to be no curling at all. I am now wondering if his cornea is just scratched & it looked like entropion when the vet checked it because he had his eye closed so tightly. He is supposed to have surgery in the morning, but we're going to have the vet check him out first to see if we're right. Fingers crossed that's all it is!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.