sexton

Mar 13, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Hello Everyone, after many years of loving Bulldogs I got my first bulldog in August. She is an absolute sweet heart. My children love her and she is part of our family.

The biggest issue we've had with her is shedding. Honestly, I have no idea how she has any hair left. I sweep up dust pans full every single day. I've asked everyone I know and the only answer I get is "some dogs shed a lot" Its really almost unbearable. I have hard wood floors and must sweep twice per day. We can't hold her or pet her without being so covered in fur we have to change clothes.

After reading these forums I purchased Alaska Salmon Oil and gave it to her twice per day with her food. No change. Kinda just accepted what everyone said that "some dogs shed a lot"

About a month ago she developed a "spot" on her left shoulder. Searching I thought it might be a "hot spot" and I purchased Vetericyn hot spot for dogs and sprayed it 3 to 4 times per day as instructed. This "spot" never became like an open wound or anything and I would kind of second guess my self pretty regularly if it was getting better, staying the same, or worse, as some days it would look one way and the next day it would look another. The hair appears to be growing back, I think.

Today, I found another spot of concern on her left rear leg. Looks like a tiny "spot" similar to what I think is healing on her chest. I started spraying with Vetericyn already but I was wondering if you experts might have any ideas?

Neither spot seems to give her any pain or discomfort, she doesn't seem to notice they are even their. I guess the next stop is the vet next week. Honestly, I am starting to think its allergy related, likely related to her food (Iams Lamb & Rice) but I was wondering what the experts here thought.... IMG_2727.jpgIMG_2732.jpgIMG_2731.jpgIMG_2728.jpgIMG_2729.jpgIMG_2730.jpg

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Congrats on your new bulldog baby! I am sure others with much more experience than myself will be able to help you even better, but my guess is a food allergy. From everything I've learned, bulldogs are prone to lots of food allergies. Most need a high quality, grain free food.
Like Riggins....I had him on a good top of the line food but he was still having issues on his face. We narrowed it down to the fact that he is allergic to chicken fat. We switched him to Fromm Beef Friatta. Much better. We then added Answers Fermented Fish Stock and that changed the game. His skin has been 100% clear as long as he continues to eat the fish. I also give him coconut oil. People comment all the time on his skin and coat...how soft and clear it is. BUT...I will say that he does shed like crazy! Lol. I haven't met a bulldog owner that has said their bullie doesn't shed much. I think it comes with the breed. [emoji4] Riggins sheds an insane amount at certain times a year. We have black hardwoods and a white dog. Not smart on my part! And I warn people about wearing black when they come over. Lol.

Anyway, I would definitely try to get her on a high quality, grain free food. The lady that runs the rescue I foster for says that you need to work from the inside out. It's all in the diet. [emoji4]

Good luck! I hope her sore spots get better very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Hot Spots, but from what I've seen and heard from other members who have dealt with this, it looks like it may be a hot spot. It could be allergy related as well, Iams is not a really good quality food, and has many fillers which Georgia may not tolerate. You can go on the Homepage and check out the dog food ratings. It seems you were able to clear up the other spot with the Vetericyn. I would use the spray on the other spot and keep an eye on it. The best thing to do is to shave or remove as much hair around the spot as possible and also keep the area dry. If it doesn't clear up, take her to the vet to have it checked out. You can also rinse her with equal amounts of warm water and white vinegar after you shampoo her. Vinegar is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal.

Hot Spots on Dogs: Causes and Treatment

Hot spots are an irritating skin condition that affects countless dogs every year. Here, Dr. Henry Cerny, DVM, MS of Yankee Hill Veterinary Hospital, answers some common questions about hot spots.

What are hot spots on dogs and how can we detect them?

A hotspot (also known as pyotramatic or moist dermatitis) is a condition which involves an area of skin which has become inflamed and infected. The affected skin often appears as a moist, oozing, reddened area that is painful and very itchy to the dog. Hair loss may also be seen. Continued licking and chewing at the area by the dog worsens the condition dramatically.

What causes hot spots and can they be prevented?

Anything that causes itchiness of the skin can lead to the development of hot spots on dogs. Some common triggers are atopy (allergies to things in the environment such as grasses, trees, weeds, dust mites, etc), food allergies, fleas, mites, insect bites and skin wounds. A bacterial infection of the skin (typically caused by staph) develops by taking advantage of the damaged inflamed skin. The infection is often deep in the dog's skin and, in addition to the moist oozing appearance, an odor is often present.

How are hot spots treated?

The goal to treatment is to clear the bacterial infection, relieve the itching and pain, and identify and remove the underlying triggers if possible. The hair in and around the dog's hot spot is usually clipped to allow initial cleaning of the area and the application of topical medications. Topical treatment with sprays, creams or ointments to kill bacteria and help with pain and inflammation are often used. Oral antibiotics are usually prescribed for a course of three to four weeks and sometimes longer. Often a short course of corticosteroids (i.e. prednisone) is given to relieve the itching and pain due to the inflammation. Antihistamines may also be used to help with itchiness.
Would Vetericyn be helpful in the treatment of hot spots on dogs?

Yes. Vetericyn liquid or hydrogel can be applied topically to kill bacteria and help cleanse the wound and speed healing without depleting vital moisture from the skin. It has the additional benefits of being non-irritating, non-toxic and non-staining to your dog's skin or dog's haircoat.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It does look like it could be food related. I'd go with a better quality food - most importantly - "grain free" no more rice or grains. See how she responds on that after you transition. BLUE, Merrick, Fromms, Taste of the Wild, Natures Variety . Just some examples. Try cleaning w water water & soap. Dry the area & apply a little Neosporin- if you don't see the Vetericyn working .... I'm willing to bet it's something in the food!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They are usually caused by an allergic reaction, mostly food related. Cut the hair around it and then wash with an antibacterial soap and then keep dry. I would also think about changing food with a different protein source to see if that helps.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome to EBN, everyone has you covered advice wise. Keep us posted on her progress.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

I agree with the gang --- she needs a better food and add a dollop of plain greek yogurt to her breakfast each day, high quality grain and chicken free food will help with lessening the shedding.

I think a skin scrape may be a good idea as to rule out mange.... all dogs have mites just some immune systems are not strong enough to fight them off resulting in mange.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Looks similar to what I'm battling with at the moment, tried antibiotics and vetericyn to no avail, for the past few days i've been applying a cream called exmarid which seems to be helping, im in the uk dont know if it's available in the USA. My bullie is allergic to quite a few things like rice, peas, corn, fish (the list goes on) that makes it difficult to find a food that he can have. After home cooking for 12months I have finally found a food that he can have so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I feed Winnie Orijen (Six Fish) which is a high quality grain free food. I supplement with Fortiflora in the morning which is a probiotic. At the evening meal, I give her a teaspoon of coconut oil, a dollop of Greek yougurt and a quarter cup of Answers Fermented Fish on her food. I have never noticed her shedding much, but I have another dog who is a huge shedder, so maybe she sheds more than I've noticed.

I agree with Christine that you should have the vet do a scraping to rule out Demodex mange. It's not uncommon for young dogs to have that because their immune systems are still immature. Winnie was treated for Demodex. She only had a couple of small spots that were missing hair and just barely pink when I took her to the vet and started treatment. So I don't know what it would look like when it's further along.

I read about the Answers Fermented Fish on EBN and it sounded so good for bully skin, that I just started giving it even though she wasn't having any skin issues. Good luck!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! Sounds like everyone has you covered! I would have a scrape done to make sure it is not mange. Also the change in food is a good idea,and the yogurt. I also give my dogs a supplement. I use a product from Kauffman's. If it is not mange-you can call and they will recommend a product that will help her alot. Many people here also use Nuvet. The best way to start, is to make sure it is NOT the mange!

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I feed Winnie Orijen (Six Fish) which is a high quality grain free food. I supplement with Fortiflora in the morning which is a probiotic. At the evening meal, I give her a teaspoon of coconut oil, a dollop of Greek yougurt and a quarter cup of Answers Fermented Fish on her food. I have never noticed her shedding much, but I have another dog who is a huge shedder, so maybe she sheds more than I've noticed.

I agree with Christine that you should have the vet do a scraping to rule out Demodex mange. It's not uncommon for young dogs to have that because their immune systems are still immature. Winnie was treated for Demodex. She only had a couple of small spots that were missing hair and just barely pink when I took her to the vet and started treatment. So I don't know what it would look like when it's further along.

I read about the Answers Fermented Fish on EBN and it sounded so good for bully skin, that I just started giving it even though she wasn't having any skin issues. Good luck!

A lot of the ladies from the rescue sat in on a seminar about the fermented fish and goats milk. It's amazing! [emoji106]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome3: to EBN!

I agree with the gang --- she needs a better food and add a dollop of plain greek yogurt to her breakfast each day, high quality grain and chicken free food will help with lessening the shedding.

I think a skin scrape may be a good idea as to rule out mange.... all dogs have mites just some immune systems are not strong enough to fight them off resulting in mange.

I agree… you should get your vet to do a skin scrape to rule out mange. I dealt w/this on Wally and it can get out of control quickly, better safe than sorry… keep us posted!!!

OP
S

sexton

Mar 13, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Thank you guys and gals SOOOOO much! I appreciate the feed back. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am just crazy busy. Following your advice I started transitioning her to Blue Freedom Grain Free on Saturday. I plan to follow up with Vet next. Thank you again...more updates coming soon

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online