Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Skin redness

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    Hi @Texas Carol, I just came back from the vet for another consultation. She shaved off the fur on his back and prescribed an anti-fungal topical cream and some supplements to strengthen Ziggy's immune system. So far the redness on his head is doing well, it doesn't appear to be as irritated as the past few days. The irritation on his back looks like it's healing. It formed a scab and starting to peel off to reveal new skin underneath. I apply the topical cream thrice a day. I also wipe him all over with 50/50 ACV water every morning and before he goes to sleep.

I stopped giving him store bought food/treats and focused on giving him whole foods so I decided to bake some of my own. He is liking it especially when used with his Bob-A-Lot toy.

Attachment 85267

I will give your white rice and hamburger combo a try. Heading to the grocers in a few. The ground meat I give him is usually chicken or beef, depends on what I have on hand.

You can also use frozen green beans as treats... my guys all love them. best of luck and please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes Maryjane liked this post
    Country
    No Permanent Address
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Ziggy
    Likes (Received)

Vet said Mr.Ziggy has Puppy Pyoderma. I did some research and apparently it's a form of bacterial infection that stemmed from all sorts of things such as food allergy, environmental allergy, flea or tick bite and a whole lot more. The initial wound/spot on his back was a pustule (pimple) that burst and has since spread to a larger size. The vet shaved off a portion of his fur to let the skin breathe. The vet gave Canisep, an anti-bacterial natural topical ointment and said to apply it 3x a day liberally. She also prescribed Immunol, an Aryuvedic tablet to strengthen the immune system along with a mixture of virgin coconut oil, borage oil and vitamin e orally daily. The wound has dried up, dried skin came off with small amounts of fur and revealed some pink skin underneath. It doesn't appear to be infected anymore and is healing but not at the rate I was happy with. His back looks like a map of the world due to hair loss. LOL. Small bald spots can also be seen on other parts of his body.. it's in his legs, neck, trunk. Some with mild pustules, some without. I was extremely worried that this might spread further or worsen as what happened on his back so I did further research and bought Nu-Stock to try it out as I have heard tons of great reviews with it. It is also natural so I am up for it! I started with the Nu-Stock treatment last Saturday, applying the ointment anywhere I can see a bald spot or irritation. I cannot believe how quickly Mr.Ziggy's condition dramatically improved overnight. A couple of pustules dried up and the best part, I can see teeny-tiny hair roots sprouting in some of his bald spots. I am extremely happy that he is improving day by day. I will post some photos when he's awake, can't take a decent photo as of the moment. I am keeping positive that my furry baby will look like his old self in a few weeks time! Nu-stock is definitely a must have for me and will always have it on hand!!
    Last edited by Maryjane; 04-01-2015 at 04:12 AM. Reason: typo

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Maryjane, welcome to EBN to you and Ziggy. You are doing all the right things, and are being proactive with your baby, by taking him to the vet, and trying to figure out what is causing the reaction. Great job Mom. Everyone has already got you covered and given you excellent advice and suggestions as usual. I was going to suggest that it may be Demodex Mange, or Dermatitis caused by an allergy. There are many ways that you can naturally boost the immune system, such as adding plain yogurt to the kibble for the probiotics, I add 2 Tbsp's to the morning kibble everyday, I also add 1Tbsp apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are many benefits to acv, and I add 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil to the evening kibble for the Omega Fatty Acids.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

6. Likes Maryjane liked this post
    Country
    No Permanent Address
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Ziggy
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vikinggirl, thank you for the suggestion. I've been giving Mr.Ziggy a teaspoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar daily in his food as well as Virgin Coconut Oil. I also give him Primrose Oil (for his skin), Quercetin (natural antihistamine), Probiotics (strengthen immune system) and Bach's Rescue Remedy (for stress) and lots of organic whole foods. Here's a photo for update, he is lathered with nu-stock:

-img_20150402_133753-2-jpg

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    Hi Vikinggirl, thank you for the suggestion. I've been giving Mr.Ziggy a teaspoon of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar daily in his food as well as Virgin Coconut Oil. I also give him Primrose Oil (for his skin), Quercetin (natural antihistamine), Probiotics (strengthen immune system) and Bach's Rescue Remedy (for stress) and lots of organic whole foods. Here's a photo for update, he is lathered with nu-stock:

-img_20150402_133753-2-jpg
    Aww he's so cute. Sounds like you've got him covered. You're a great bully mom.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    No Permanent Address
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr.Ziggy
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, just want to give an update regarding Mr.Ziggy's pyoderma. I started the Nu Stock regimen last week of March. Here is his before picture:
    -img_20150406_031631-2-jpg

and this picture was taken awhile ago:

-img_20150425_153529-jpg

It's almost a month and what dramatic improvement! His fur is almost 95% grown and I am extremely happy. I will continue to apply Nu Stock until there are no longer bald spots and fur has fully grown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads