OP
T

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
oh and he definitely eats 3 times a day! sometimes maybe 4 but just not as much each time! he wouldnt let me not feed him if I tried!! I would come home to him eating my furniture or something! This is all a huge learning experience for me so anything that anyone thinks would be helpful in general would be great too! I want to be the best mommy I can be for him <3

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
oh and he definitely eats 3 times a day! sometimes maybe 4 but just not as much each time! he wouldnt let me not feed him if I tried!! I would come home to him eating my furniture or something! This is all a huge learning experience for me so anything that anyone thinks would be helpful in general would be great too! I want to be the best mommy I can be for him <3

I think the first thing you have to do is get him off Beneful. There are major recalls of that food with many dogs dying from it. There is a food rating on the home page and you can pick a food that is better for Boss that will fit within you budget. Many of them are all stage foods so I won't matter how old he is. Please if nothing else just stop feeding the Beneful.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It sounds like bile to me too. Too much acid in the belly. He may just need some Omeprazole (prilosec) for a week or two to calm his stomach down. Call your vet and ask them about it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Please please don't take this negatively, but I would stay far away from Purina - like FAR FAR away. That is not a quality food. If you want something quality & grain free, that doesn't break the bank, try BLUE, Merrick, Natural Balance... the better quality food will highly improve him overall health wise. Alot of members including myself feed FROMMs, but they are higher priced for sure. We did Natural Balance & BLUE for years and were very happy. Choose grain free. You actually don't want bullies to put on too much weight, the heavier they are the harder on their joints, etc. When you switch (please do asap if possible), please transition. So do 3/4 his current kibble, and 1/4 of new, and slowly increase if you see no negative reactions. I'm curious to see if the food change helps the vomiting as well. Also, adding a teaspoon of plain greek yogurt.. do things slowly ... one at a time. So if you're switching foods, start that. Make sure he's adjusted, then add the yogurt... too much at once could also upset his belly.

He is the CUTEST!!! Also, as soon as he tears those toys apart, remove them immediately. They will swallow anything, and again obstruction... no bueno. Its better to always supervise while they have toys. Keep us updated!!! Please :)

OP
T

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Yes I do make sure to remove the toys asap when they are chewed up... I've actually been taking them away as soon as he gets a good hole in them and I can see any fluff at all. Which is usually the day I buy them or at the latest the next day lol. My boyfriend is going to buy him new food tonight so I will send him with the suggestions you all gave me (thank you so much!) and hopefully he will find something that will work properly for him and that we can keep happily feeding him for a long time to come!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes I do make sure to remove the toys asap when they are chewed up... I've actually been taking them away as soon as he gets a good hole in them and I can see any fluff at all. Which is usually the day I buy them or at the latest the next day lol. My boyfriend is going to buy him new food tonight so I will send him with the suggestions you all gave me (thank you so much!) and hopefully he will find something that will work properly for him and that we can keep happily feeding him for a long time to come!

SO SO happy he's getting a better food! That will help so much.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Please please don't take this negatively, but I would stay far away from Purina - like FAR FAR away. That is not a quality food. If you want something quality & grain free, that doesn't break the bank, try BLUE, Merrick, Natural Balance... the better quality food will highly improve him overall health wise. Alot of members including myself feed FROMMs, but they are higher priced for sure. We did Natural Balance & BLUE for years and were very happy. Choose grain free. You actually don't want bullies to put on too much weight, the heavier they are the harder on their joints, etc. When you switch (please do asap if possible), please transition. So do 3/4 his current kibble, and 1/4 of new, and slowly increase if you see no negative reactions. I'm curious to see if the food change helps the vomiting as well. Also, adding a teaspoon of plain greek yogurt.. do things slowly ... one at a time. So if you're switching foods, start that. Make sure he's adjusted, then add the yogurt... too much at once could also upset his belly.

He is the CUTEST!!! Also, as soon as he tears those toys apart, remove them immediately. They will swallow anything, and again obstruction... no bueno. Its better to always supervise while they have toys. Keep us updated!!! Please :)

Yes, please get off the Beneful..... great Post Jessica!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
PLEASE DO NOT FEED HIM PURINA BENEFUL, THIS FOOD IS VERY BAD, I GIVE ELMO FROMM HARD FOOD AND CANIDAE CANNED FOOR ADDED TO IT, PLUS VEGTABLES. THIS MAY BE WHY YOUR BOSS IS THROWING UP, PURINA, BAD FOOD. LOVE TO BOSS.

OP
T

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
Thank you all for the awesome advice. He is actually doing so much better and has not gotten sick since Thursday. He also seems to be feeling better overall. I changed his food, have been giving him rice cakes at night before bed and early in the morning along with some pepcid ac prescribed by the vet. I think it was a combination of everthing that is helping. Again thank you so much for everything from helping me help him to feel better to helping me save money on what could have been some costly and timely vet visits which would have most likely ended at the same place we are now. I will definitely be visiting this web site a lot to gain advice as well as give advice to things that I learn along the way!

much love from me and my main man boss
much love.jpg

OP
T

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
oh and one more thing...WHY IN THE WORLD IS PURINA BENEFUL STILL BEING SOLD? ALONG WITH ANY OTHER PURINA PRODUCTS?? if its so terrible and harmful why is it even legal that anyone sells it anymore?? especially since so many people seem to know its bad, but then you have a new pet owner like myself who had no idea what she was doing...and no i would not buy the bottom of the barrel cheapest food i could find...but i was just trying to find something middle of the road since this would most likely be the food i would be purchasing for the duration of his hopefully long life!! that just makes me mad!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.