Right eye squinting

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I've seen aces right eye squinting off and on. Yesterday after picking him up from my dads place I noticed it more. I have him on antibiotic drops, but for allergies, not for this reason. I've seen this happen before, and I would just think it was allergy flare up. This morning he had very little eye boogers. I'll be keeping an eye out, if he doesn't get better by tomorrow I will take him in. Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Take a look to see if there are any eyelashes rubbing against his eye. Would help if you had a magnifying glass to look.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I tried doing that, seems his lashes are outward. But I will continue to check.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He could have a lash in his eye. He might have rubbed it and caused an irritation. Just keep an eye on it, if anything worsens, call the vet.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Went home for lunch, he's doing better. He has his eye open now and squints here and there. Much better than last night. If it were to be an ulcer, it wouldn't have gotten better right? I just googled eye squinting and freaked when I saw eye ulcer subject.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Went home for lunch, he's doing better. He has his eye open now and squints here and there. Much better than last night. If it were to be an ulcer, it wouldn't have gotten better right? I just googled eye squinting and freaked when I saw eye ulcer subject.

Google is so full of :poo: sometimes. If it were an ulcer there would be redness around the skin and eyeball closet to his nose, what kind of food are you feeding him? Only reason i ask is because I saw your post on the other thread about tear stains.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

LOL This totally made me laugh, because I thought about myself. I google things, and then get freaked out thinking worst case. Anyway.. yes, an ulcer should be visible to you. If you have already checked the lashes, and you physically can't see anything in there, he could have maybe scratched his eye or something. Tyson did this once when he was sniffing around some bushes.. if you have regular plain tea bags, or green tea bag - get them nice & warm, and you can do a compress. I didn't think Tyson would let me do it, but he actually seemed to like it, I noticed it really helped with the red irritation - I just would hold it on his eye & pet him... so he stayed relaxed.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Google is so full of :poo: sometimes. If it were an ulcer there would be redness around the skin and eyeball closet to his nose, what kind of food are you feeding him? Only reason i ask is because I saw your post on the other thread about tear stains.

definitely take google with a grain of salt. They will have you, or your dog dead and buried with their hypochondria!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
or it could be something serious like an eye ulcer from accidental trauma.. getting poked by shrubs. A vet visit with antibiotic drops will be necessary. Harvey had this and off to the vet. He was prescribed with 3 different drops.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
This happened to Jovi when she was about... a year old so about 6 months ago. She was squinting in her left eye and barely opened it and all I thought to myself "great, another vet bill." Because this happened right after her hip displaysia visit, and torn ligaments. But everyday it was getting better and then after about 4-5 day it was back to normal and she's been fine since! I also gave her benedryl but I have no idea if that actually helped.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
With our boy it was Distichiasis, basically wayward lashes under his lid.Thankfully it didn't give him ulcers.He has had two eye surgeries for entropian, lid folding.He may need to go back soon because he still has squinting and runny eye issues.So if yours keeps squinting even if its just off and on I'd make a vet trip.We took him to an Optimologist. Be prepared for some cost.It was almost 400 to have him sedated and lashes cut out.But healing was fast.

OP
AceTheBathound
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Got home this evening and it was back to increased squinting. I'll give it one more day. Then if I see no improvement, I'll take him in.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Google is so bad sometimes! Ugh!

But the information is right to an extent. Squinting the eyes in dogs is a sign of eye pain. Ulcers, scratches or lash rubbing are three very high possibilities. I hope Ace is better tomorrow. Give him a big hug from us!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with the others, if Aces eye doesn't clear up, then a vet visit would be a good idea. Your vet has eye drops he puts in the eye which shows if their is an ulcer, scratch or other break in the tissue. He will use a dye which will show up if there are any breaks in the eye tissue. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got home this evening and it was back to increased squinting. I'll give it one more day. Then if I see no improvement, I'll take him in.

any update? How is he doing

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.