WhitneyBlanche

Mar 3, 2015
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Hi all,
I'm trying desperately to sort out my bulldog's tear stains. They aren't infected and I'm cleaning them with MalAcetic wipes and hydrogen peroxide as well as using cornstarch on them to keep them dry. They seem to look better in the evenings after the cleaning but by the morning they're looking red and wet again.
The fur is starting to look a little better but she's still tearing a lot. I've also noticed some redness on her paws.
I've been doing a lot of research into ways to get rid of this, I've switched to Fromm's and I'm hoping that will help and I'm going to try using desitin as well, but this morning I came across a product that isn't mentioned on EBN often but seems to have a lot of great reviews!
It is called Cranimal's Gold. It is an all natural supplement powder made from cranberry extract powder and seaweed meal powder. It is not marketed for tear stains but for skin, eye, joint, and urinary tract health. But people have noticed that a really positive side effect is the absence of tear staining! I'm thinking of trying this- if I can find something that will get to the source instead of just constantly chasing down the stains then that will be better for both of us! She doesn't love having her face cleaned. I have to wait until she is really tired- at that point I can do anything to her, she's like a rag doll!
I like that it is all natural and that even if it doesn't work for the stains it promotes good health anyway so it can't hurt!
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and had good results?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like it's two ingredients being cranberry extract and seaweed meal, so it would certainly be worth a try. It definitely would not hurt as those are good supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I've not heard of that before. However, I have a new cleaning idea. I went on a trip a couple months ago and my son gave Henry a lot of table food and he now has terrible stains I can't get to fade. (I've still not forgiven him) I've tried everything to get them cleaned up. My latest find was where I read that you can use baby oil then wash with clarifying people shampoo and that will clean up the stains. It has reduced his stains a lot. I am feeling good about it. I have been washing his face but not every day because I don't want to get him irritated. I've also only used the clarifying shampoo twice. I usually just use water on a soft wash cloth to clean up the oil.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never heard of it, but please keep us posted on how it works

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I want to try this too! Daisys eyes water so much and her stains are horrible. Shes been on Fromms for 2 months now and no change.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I want to try this too! Daisys eyes water so much and her stains are horrible. Shes been on Fromms for 2 months now and no change.

Have you tried switching flavors? I went through 3 flavors before I hit lamb and lentils. It helped a lot with tear stains, but Ace still has them. I blame it on seasonal allergies cause the switch to this food helped his shedding like crazy! Before he was a walking "loose hair ball". Now he sheds very little :)

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
[MENTION=10815]AceTheBathound[/MENTION] we've tried pork n peas and now we are on the Salmon one. I'm gonna try a few more flavors. How long before you noticed a difference?

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
[MENTION=10815]AceTheBathound[/MENTION] we've tried pork n peas and now we are on the Salmon one. I'm gonna try a few more flavors. How long before you noticed a difference?

I noticed about 2 bags later :) first bag I noticed tear stain decreasing from dark burgundy to lighter brown. So I went with another bag and shedding started to decrease little by little. I'm on my 5th bag with little shedding :)

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
I've heard of it and almost tried it, but I didn't. Opie had tear stains pretty bad when he was a bit younger and we kept trying different foods but had no luck. Instead of spending more money on products we decided to switch him over to filtered water. I know...spoiled dog. But it really has worked. It's the only thing that helped Opie's tear stains. He doesn't even have them anymore

Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Hi- Cricket has tear stains, too. I tried Cranimals gold and really didn't notice any difference. I keep her on it because what it HAS helped with is her tail pocket- she has a tight tail pocket and there's been a steady improvement with her tail pocket. I still clean it, but it's not as gross as it once was. However, for tear stains,.. no difference for her.

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
I've heard of it and almost tried it, but I didn't. Opie had tear stains pretty bad when he was a bit younger and we kept trying different foods but had no luck. Instead of spending more money on products we decided to switch him over to filtered water. I know...spoiled dog. But it really has worked. It's the only thing that helped Opie's tear stains. He doesn't even have them anymore

How do you filter the water? Do you a water filter/Brita installed at your sink? I'm interested it giving this a try!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online