Real Name
    Ulrich
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Heartworm detected

We just learned that our 2 1/2 year old, Murray, has heartworm. His heartbeat is normal, and Murray's energy is good. He needs to have treatment to get rid of the adult heartworms. I'm told the first shot can be somewhat risky. I'm sad that Murray has to go through this. We gave him the heartworm meds, so we're not sure how or when he contracted this. Our vet quoted the treatment of 3 shots at around $1k. Is that the going rate?

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you have any advice or can you share your experiences?

Thanks,
    Murray's mom

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heartworm detected

I have no experience with this and wish you and Murray the best -- sending prayers and positive thoughts.

I will tag some members they may have experience or just some knowledge. A lot of dogs that end up in rescue have them and are treated while with the rescue groups and go on to a full happy life.

Please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

So very sorry to hear this, I'm hearing dogs on HW prevention are
    experiencing infestation, not sure WHY, hoping more experienced
    post. That sounds like expensive quote from Vet, maybe 2nd opinion.
    I do know there are holistic options that are not as hard on the dogs.
    Please let us know, am praying for him!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

So sorry to hear this. I wish Murray the best
    My smooshy face boy!

Hi, I do not have any personal experience but I do have a message in to some of the rescue directors and fosters who have had experience. I will post whatever I get from them. Sending love to Murray

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

So sorry to hear about Murray. I had two German Sheps who had heartworms way back in 1968. They both had treatment, and did well through the process. I actually don't think the treatment is much different after all these years. There is someone on here-whose dog recently completed treatment. I am sorry I don't remember her ID-but the dog's name is Jack. Maybe @2BullyMama or @brutus77 may remember who it was. That cost sounds outrageous to me-but I am way out in the country! Get some other estimates. Best Wishes for your baby!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I agree that the price is exceptionally high. Of course we don't know the level of infestation and other factors, but that seems high except in cases where the dog will be kept at the clinic for around the clock monitoring during the treatment. Dr. Becker (our rescue vet here in Kansas City) charges the rescue about $250 for treatment. I do not know how much he charges private owners, but I would imagine it is probably close to what Cindy's local vet charges.

Depending on the level of infestation Dr. Becker has a couple of different methods. His usual method is the slow kill method giving accelerated doses of heartworm medication (pills) to kill the eggs/young worms and once that is completed he then gives the dogs the typical 2 shots. Yes, the first shot is usually the "harder" of the two on the dogs, but the second one is usually better only because they don't have as many worms to kill. I think the dogs still feel pretty awful each time after the shot. The biggest thing in this is that your friend keep her dogs quiet and calm during treatment (or until her vet gives her clearance to start certain activities).

The above is from one of our rescues foster moms

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Im sorry you and Murray are going through this. Like others have said, I have no experience with this either but....My uncle's German Shepherd got heart worms WHILE taking prevention medicine. He contacted the company and the company ended up paying for the vet bills. I am not sure exactly how he went about this but maybe this is something you could look into. It's worth a try.

P.S. His dog went through the treatment very well and she is a happy healthy dog, no lingering issues.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    So sorry to hear about Murray. I had two German Sheps who had heartworms way back in 1968. They both had treatment, and did well through the process. I actually don't think the treatment is much different after all these years. There is someone on here-whose dog recently completed treatment. I am sorry I don't remember her ID-but the dog's name is Jack. Maybe @2BullyMama or @brutus77 may remember who it was. That cost sounds outrageous to me-but I am way out in the country! Get some other estimates. Best Wishes for your baby!
    @Donnam (I hope I spelled the name right!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Oh no....Its been several years since I've dealt with heartworm but from what I remember for my Lab it was around 500 or 600.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Before we got Monty, we fostered a Boxer for a while. She was HW positive and the rescue was doing the 'Slow Kill method' with her. She was at least 8 years old and they thought it would be easier on her. It was the normal dose for her size but would probably take a couple of years if I understood correctly. We didn't have her long as we found out she wasn't cat friendly, we couldn't take our eyes off her and for an older girl that had other health problems, she was really fast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads