Heartworm detected

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
We just learned that our 2 1/2 year old, Murray, has heartworm. His heartbeat is normal, and Murray's energy is good. He needs to have treatment to get rid of the adult heartworms. I'm told the first shot can be somewhat risky. I'm sad that Murray has to go through this. We gave him the heartworm meds, so we're not sure how or when he contracted this. Our vet quoted the treatment of 3 shots at around $1k. Is that the going rate?

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you have any advice or can you share your experiences?

Thanks,
Murray's mom

Otne more thing I forget to mention is that you can go to the American Heartworm Society website and read all about their recommended treatment and learn everything you need to know about HW disease!

OP
U

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Donna--
Your post is extremely helpful! Thank you! We've contacted a vet recommended as bulldog knowledgeable and hope to begin treatment soon. Murray was a rescue dog. When we first got him one year ago, he tested negative. Thanks, again for the post. I'll keep you posted.

OP
U

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray had his first treatment for heartworm today. His X-ray showed an enlarged pulmonary artery and "foggy lungs", but his heart was not enlarged. The vet is confident that the treatment should go well as long as we keep Murray very calm for the next 8 weeks. He has been pretty mellow since he's been home tonight--a better description might be miserable and sad.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Murray had his first treatment for heartworm today. His X-ray showed an enlarged pulmonary artery and "foggy lungs", but his heart was not enlarged. The vet is confident that the treatment should go well as long as we keep Murray very calm for the next 8 weeks. He has been pretty mellow since he's been home tonight--a better description might be miserable and sad.

Awe, poor fella! Please keep us posted.... hugs to him

OP
U

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray Update: The second and third round of shots has been painful for Murray. We had to take him into the animal emergency hospital after the second shot because Murray was panting and trembling from obvious pain. All of his vitals were good, so the vet said to watch him closely that night. We did, and he was back to normal by morning. He had his third shot and has been very subdued. On night two, he woke us up because he was rubbing against our bed and pacing. We thought he needed to go out, but it turned out he'd already done his business inside--he must have been uncomfortable! We noticed that he has hives this morning and have been watching him--and scratching him all day. Poor guy. His breathing and apetite are normal, so we're waiting to call the vet tomorrow. I'm not sure he can take Benadryl just three days after the immiticide shots, so we've just tried to keep him as comfortable as possible.

27 more days and Murray should be healthy again. We're counting down.

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I'm so sorry for your bully, he is lucky to have such supportive parents. I will say prayers for him to get healthy and have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Get well best wishes, Murray!!:pray:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor Murray - I hope he gets better soon! Sweet baby, I hate to hear when they aren't feeling well. Prayers for you all. Give him lots of loving & hugs.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Sending Prayers and Positive Thoughts for Precious Murray. Love and Kisses to Murray. God Bless this Precious Bulldog.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Murray Update: The second and third round of shots has been painful for Murray. We had to take him into the animal emergency hospital after the second shot because Murray was panting and trembling from obvious pain. All of his vitals were good, so the vet said to watch him closely that night. We did, and he was back to normal by morning. He had his third shot and has been very subdued. On night two, he woke us up because he was rubbing against our bed and pacing. We thought he needed to go out, but it turned out he'd already done his business inside--he must have been uncomfortable! We noticed that he has hives this morning and have been watching him--and scratching him all day. Poor guy. His breathing and apetite are normal, so we're waiting to call the vet tomorrow. I'm not sure he can take Benadryl just three days after the immiticide shots, so we've just tried to keep him as comfortable as possible.

27 more days and Murray should be healthy again. We're counting down.

How is Murray doing today? I hope he's much better--sweet little guy! Don't you just want to strangle the people who didn't give him meds before you got him!

OP
U

Ulrich

Oct 11, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray is doing very well! He has all of his energy back and can't understand why we won't let him play or jump around. We need to keep him quiet and controlled for 3 more weeks. I can't wait for him to have a clean bill of health and run around the yard again! Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.