Are these hotspots

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
I've been noticing these spots with her fur thinning out and the spots will also be scabby. I've been recently cleaning them with chlorhexadine pads. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 166

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If they are dry and scabby, it could be mites, but only a scrap from the vet will tell for sure. Usually a hot spot is wet under the fur where the fur has not fallen out yet.

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
If they are dry and scabby, it could be mites, but only a scrap from the vet will tell for sure. Usually a hot spot is wet under the fur where the fur has not fallen out yet.
The last time I brought her to the vet, she had similar issues, but the scrape was negative and the vet said allergies. She did have a bout with demodex as a pup so I'm always concerned about mites. The last two scrapes were negative. It seems as if they start off wet and oozy and then the hair falls out from her scratching.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
In my experience, not with Ace but my previous American Pitbull Terriers, hotspots would usually swell up, and at times ooze then turn into a thick scab. I would clear the area of any hair extremely carefully with scissors. Make sure you disinfect scissors. I would use witch hazel to clean them out. I've read that black tea bags, dipping them into hot water then having them cool off, work well for the swelling. Have you changed anything recently or added something to his diet?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The last time I brought her to the vet, she had similar issues, but the scrape was negative and the vet said allergies. She did have a bout with demodex as a pup so I'm always concerned about mites. The last two scrapes were negative. It seems as if they start off wet and oozy and then the hair falls out from her scratching.

Could be a staph infection --- this is one way it shows on the dog. did your vet say anything about that? Staph is from a weakened immune system and only a strong antibiotic can clear it up

OP
A

arodriguez02

Dec 9, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
ZOEY
Could be a staph infection --- this is one way it shows on the dog. did your vet say anything about that? Staph is from a weakened immune system and only a strong antibiotic can clear it up
I think that's what it is. I'm going to bring it up to the vet for sure and get her on some antibiotics. Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think that's what it is. I'm going to bring it up to the vet for sure and get her on some antibiotics. Thanks

keep us posted .... my first boy had this a lot till we found out he was allergic to rice, once removed from his diet, he never got it again :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.