Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Are these hotspots

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    23
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ZOEY
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Are these hotspots

    I've been noticing these spots with her fur thinning out and the spots will also be scabby. I've been recently cleaning them with chlorhexadine pads. Any suggestions ? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg  

  2. #2
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,247
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Are these hotspots

    If they are dry and scabby, it could be mites, but only a scrap from the vet will tell for sure. Usually a hot spot is wet under the fur where the fur has not fallen out yet.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  3. #3
    Newbie
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    23
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ZOEY
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Are these hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    If they are dry and scabby, it could be mites, but only a scrap from the vet will tell for sure. Usually a hot spot is wet under the fur where the fur has not fallen out yet.
    The last time I brought her to the vet, she had similar issues, but the scrape was negative and the vet said allergies. She did have a bout with demodex as a pup so I'm always concerned about mites. The last two scrapes were negative. It seems as if they start off wet and oozy and then the hair falls out from her scratching.

  4. #4
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Location
    McAllen, TX
    Posts
    460
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Are these hotspots

    In my experience, not with Ace but my previous American Pitbull Terriers, hotspots would usually swell up, and at times ooze then turn into a thick scab. I would clear the area of any hair extremely carefully with scissors. Make sure you disinfect scissors. I would use witch hazel to clean them out. I've read that black tea bags, dipping them into hot water then having them cool off, work well for the swelling. Have you changed anything recently or added something to his diet?
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

  5. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11537

    Default Re: Are these hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by arodriguez02 View Post
    The last time I brought her to the vet, she had similar issues, but the scrape was negative and the vet said allergies. She did have a bout with demodex as a pup so I'm always concerned about mites. The last two scrapes were negative. It seems as if they start off wet and oozy and then the hair falls out from her scratching.

    Could be a staph infection --- this is one way it shows on the dog. did your vet say anything about that? Staph is from a weakened immune system and only a strong antibiotic can clear it up
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. #6
    Newbie
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    23
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ZOEY
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Are these hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Could be a staph infection --- this is one way it shows on the dog. did your vet say anything about that? Staph is from a weakened immune system and only a strong antibiotic can clear it up
    I think that's what it is. I'm going to bring it up to the vet for sure and get her on some antibiotics. Thanks

  7. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11537

    Default Re: Are these hotspots

    Quote Originally Posted by arodriguez02 View Post
    I think that's what it is. I'm going to bring it up to the vet for sure and get her on some antibiotics. Thanks
    keep us posted .... my first boy had this a lot till we found out he was allergic to rice, once removed from his diet, he never got it again
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •