Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collar or harness?

Real Name
    Robert
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Baron
    Likes (Received)

Default Collar or harness?

My English bulldog is only 6 months old. This is my first English Bulldog. I previously had a Boxer who was nuts, but learned the basic commands fairly easily. I've tried teaching my bulldog puppy the basic commands like sit, stay, come and down. He's got the sit and stay command pretty well, but I've had very little progress with the come and down commands. I want to start training him while I walk him, along with some meaty training treats. I currently walk him for 10 to 20 minutes every evening/night. He's good on the walks. He's focused because we walk pretty fast. I'm not sure if the collar is the best tool to train him with. Should I continue to use a regular collar or maybe a harness that wraps around his chest. What about a choker? I hate the way those choke chains look, but are they effective? I would rather not use it, but I'd like to hear from another Bulldog owner.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Collar or harness?

When we took puppy training classes, they recommended a harness. I use both depending on where we are going.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

With this type of breed...Harness! These guys already have the hard task of breathing thru those smushed noses...a harness allows you to control the puppy without adding added stress to the throat and neck. Plus...I don't know about anyone else....Vegas's head and neck are about the same size. He has, on more than one occasion, put on his breaks and backed out of his collar. Harness is the only safe way for us. Orion needs to be grabbed on a daily basis. Whether she is trying to tightrope across the back of the couch, climb onto the banister via chair, climb onto the table via couch then kennel then chair..or, if she's in her PITA mood and needs to be submitted. All the more reason to have the harness to grab vs a collar.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

we are going to get a harness but as of now he has a leash

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

Harness, it's the most effective and safest.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

HRH only has harnesses. I'm sure she would give us the "your abusing me" look if we put a collar on her.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

I keep thinking I should try a harness, but for now I've only used a collar and leash with Gertie and Ida.

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Harness all the way with bullys!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Maggie and Daddy both have collars but that is only really for "show" ..... whenever they are out they have a harness. I have the same problem with Maggie as @Libra926 has with Vegas, in that her head is as big as her neck and if she chooses to go the opposite way to me then I just end up with a collar in my hand and no bully!!

Daddy is still growing and it isn't in all the same areas .... right now it's his body length and all of a sudden his head looks huge so we'll be looking for a new collar this weekend!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullet {booboo}
    Likes (Received)

Bullet's previous owner had him on a collar but i don't like how they kind of leave an impression where they sit around their neck. they certainly don't look comfortable to me. i bought him a harness and he stands still while i put him in it...so i think he likes it.
    Amy

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I agree with all the previous posters ----- a Harness is the way to go. I do have a collar for Maximus, but I don't like using it because Max is strong and he pulls and I don't like anything around his neck choking him.......I have better control of him when he wears his Harness.

I have to agree with everyone. I have much more control over Optimus with the harness, although he does wear a collar which is more for show. If I take him to the doggie park or out for a long walk he's in his harness. When I take him out for a quick bathroom break the collar is less of a hassel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads