Collar or harness?

BaronTheBully

Dec 6, 2010
Miami, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Baron
My English bulldog is only 6 months old. This is my first English Bulldog. I previously had a Boxer who was nuts, but learned the basic commands fairly easily. I've tried teaching my bulldog puppy the basic commands like sit, stay, come and down. He's got the sit and stay command pretty well, but I've had very little progress with the come and down commands. I want to start training him while I walk him, along with some meaty training treats. I currently walk him for 10 to 20 minutes every evening/night. He's good on the walks. He's focused because we walk pretty fast. I'm not sure if the collar is the best tool to train him with. Should I continue to use a regular collar or maybe a harness that wraps around his chest. What about a choker? I hate the way those choke chains look, but are they effective? I would rather not use it, but I'd like to hear from another Bulldog owner.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
When we took puppy training classes, they recommended a harness. I use both depending on where we are going.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
With this type of breed...Harness! These guys already have the hard task of breathing thru those smushed noses...a harness allows you to control the puppy without adding added stress to the throat and neck. Plus...I don't know about anyone else....Vegas's head and neck are about the same size. He has, on more than one occasion, put on his breaks and backed out of his collar. Harness is the only safe way for us. Orion needs to be grabbed on a daily basis. Whether she is trying to tightrope across the back of the couch, climb onto the banister via chair, climb onto the table via couch then kennel then chair..or, if she's in her PITA mood and needs to be submitted. All the more reason to have the harness to grab vs a collar.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH only has harnesses. I'm sure she would give us the "your abusing me" look if we put a collar on her.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie and Daddy both have collars but that is only really for "show" ..... whenever they are out they have a harness. I have the same problem with Maggie as [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has with Vegas, in that her head is as big as her neck and if she chooses to go the opposite way to me then I just end up with a collar in my hand and no bully!!

Daddy is still growing and it isn't in all the same areas .... right now it's his body length and all of a sudden his head looks huge so we'll be looking for a new collar this weekend!!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
Bullet's previous owner had him on a collar but i don't like how they kind of leave an impression where they sit around their neck. they certainly don't look comfortable to me. i bought him a harness and he stands still while i put him in it...so i think he likes it. :D

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree with all the previous posters ----- a Harness is the way to go. I do have a collar for Maximus, but I don't like using it because Max is strong and he pulls and I don't like anything around his neck choking him.......I have better control of him when he wears his Harness.

krachet1634

Sep 13, 2010
I have to agree with everyone. I have much more control over Optimus with the harness, although he does wear a collar which is more for show. If I take him to the doggie park or out for a long walk he's in his harness. When I take him out for a quick bathroom break the collar is less of a hassel.

giasmom

Feb 2, 2011
Does anyone have a particular harness that they like the best for their bullie? I have one, but not sure that I like it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.