Limping

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well, he's still got a bit of a limp, but it's getting better. However, we have noticed that he does have interdigital cyst on his other paws, and that he is getting a dry spot behind one of his ears. I'm going to chalk this up to diet, but want to make sure I take the right steps to start fixing it. Nothing good happens fast, right?

Taco is currently on Natures Recipe Easy Digest: Salmon and Sweet Potato. It was the only thing we could get him to keep down after we rescued him. We were able to put about 15lbs on him, and he is sitting exactly how he should look. Taco's stools are usually firm enough to bag up, but loose enough that if it was on grass it would leave smudges, and I know this is not how it should be. Although I think he might be blowing his coat, he's always shed quite a bit, and I was reading that these guys should only need a bath about once a year,. Taco gets a bath every month, which he loves! Now that we've packed the weight on him, and he's adjusted to his new lifestyle a little better, I'm betting a lot of these issues are diet.

I'm getting ready to switch to Fromms Chicken A La Veg. Fromms seems to have the support of the community, and I would love to do raw, but don't see myself having the time or money to invest with that route. I plan to do the switch slowly, by using a half half mix for the rest of our bag, so probably over 2-3 weeks. I hope this will alleviate some of the recent issues that are popping up.

The cysts are very common in bullies. A good epsom salt soak helps dry them up. And they are bothersome to them, Ty has shown favor to paw when he had one. I think the food switch is a good idea, does he do well on Chicken? Alot of bullies are allergic, Tyson does well in moderation, but we went with Pork & Peas, and Lamb & Lentil. Either way, Fromms is great, and interchangeable so once he's on it fully, you can switch up without a transition. Also, I know this is more work, but give him a good wipe down each time he comes back in from outside, under his paws, and in between his toes. Good Luck, I hope Taco feels better soon.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
The cysts are very common in bullies. A good epsom salt soak helps dry them up. And they are bothersome to them, Ty has shown favor to paw when he had one. I think the food switch is a good idea, does he do well on Chicken? Alot of bullies are allergic, Tyson does well in moderation, but we went with Pork & Peas, and Lamb & Lentil. Either way, Fromms is great, and interchangeable so once he's on it fully, you can switch up without a transition. Also, I know this is more work, but give him a good wipe down each time he comes back in from outside, under his paws, and in between his toes. Good Luck, I hope Taco feels better soon.

Thanks for the very quick feedback! Our immediate goal was just having him keep something down, which is why we stuck with it for so long. All things considered, he's really not in bad shape. He plays, exercises, his wrinkles are usually pretty clean, and his ears only need a rinse monthly. I have been giving him an organic chicken breast (small portion) with his dry food for dinner, and it's seemed to help his stools, tremendously actually. I started Friday, and we have been free of the farts that could peel the paint of the walls. Maybe we should just start with the pork and peas, I've heard great reviews with that one also. Also, read about them being interchangeable, and that's a big plus. I found a 30lb bag delivered for $60, which is pretty much what I'm paying now, so the switch will be easy for me!

It's a pain, but I have been washing his paws when we come in. I just feel bad, as we are on the 5th floor, and I hate walking him so far to the elevator and outside while he's got some issues going on. Tough part is, the dog park is 20' away, and he tries to influence that direction. Just want to make sure we are doing all we can to keep him tip top.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.