mkennedy

Feb 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My 2 1/2 year bulldog, Tank, has a bright red rear end with a large bump that's been forming on the outside of his rear from a couple of months. He's constantly doing the boot-scoot on the carpet and sometimes it bleeds a little. He has numerous allergies, to both food and environment, and I wonder if his rear end is an extension of the inflammation going on inside his body. He also has hives down his back and licks his paws all the time. Any advice? He's in a constant state of inflammation and we aren't sure how to help him. We've tried switching his food numerous times, Chinese herbs, essential oils, etc.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so sorry to hear about Tank! He will need to see a vet about this, as it sounds like an anal gland infection or a rectal prolapse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i was also thinking infected anal gland... our Frenchie had a prolapse rectum which has to be surgically put back in place (inside stitching).

have you had allergy testing done... I wonder if her is allergic to dust/storage mites if nothing helps with change of food. Can you post a picture?

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
My pup had a hot spot on her butt from using baby wipes to clean her. It was extremely uncomfortable for her, and she would yelp and try to bite at it (we don't have carpet, but if we did she would've probably scooted on it). Her butt was the redest deep red when we got her in to the vet to be checked out, it went from normal to inflamed and super red in about 2 days.
Try putting some powder on it to see if that calms down the scoot until you can get to the vet.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Poor baby, put some Gold Bond's pdr on that and either a diaper
or toddler underwear to prevent further irritation & bleeding. It
sounds like the other's have suggested, infected anal glands or
rectum prolapse but take to your Vet.

What are you currently feeding and how long before changing foods?
It generally takes anout 4-6 weeks to clear out of system before judging
results of new food change. Find out problem with rear end then let's
address possible allergy help. Keep us informed, I send prayers & hugs!

OP
M

mkennedy

Feb 28, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks, everyone. I did some more research and I'm fairly certain it's an anal fistula...of course they're common in bulldog's.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online