The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea had he semi annual vet check this morning and we got bot good news and not so good news which I expected.

The good news is that she is I great health and all tests are normal with no signs of MRSA. Woohoo! As expected she only weights 35.4lbs but the vets are pleased with her fit, fill and muscle tone so she is just going to be a naturally petite bully with tons of allergies and to keep doing what we are doing food wise as it is working well for her. Insert shameless plus for The Honest Kitchen here. They also checked her hips again and while the is a little popping when she trots the x-rays show her hips to be in good order for a bully and are not any different from the ones taken over a year ago when they checked her and was diagnosed with Pano so that is good as well.

Now for the expected not so good news. I have noticed in the past few weeks that her snoring is worse that usual so they took a look around and yep she needs her nares done as well as a soft pallet reduction. Good thing is that it isn't so bad that it has to be done right away so we are going to hold off until after her 2nd birthday in May before we schedule it. Other than that she is as healthy as can be.

Oh and to top it all off my wife was the one that took her in this morning and she got totally embarrassed as Harlea decided to take a :poo: as they were checking out... I couldn't stop laughing when she told me that.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hah! Harlea, way to embarrass mom! That is actually great news for Harlea, I say this because the MRSA is obviously the most dangerous of all. So happy that she is healthy & strong. As for the nares & pallet, this seems to be so very common for the bullies. The great thing is that you are dealing with a wonderful vet, I cannot rave enough about them after Tyson's surgery & how wonderful, and reassuring they were to us. So I know she will be just fine! Tyson goes in to Brittmore for his vaccinations next Saturday :) That will also be the 2 month post op check up. Now, if we could get Tyson's huge self down in weight that would be great. 35 lbs seems so tiny compared to his 79lbs! :no:

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Hah! Harlea, way to embarrass mom! That is actually great news for Harlea, I say this because the MRSA is obviously the most dangerous of all. So happy that she is healthy & strong. As for the nares & pallet, this seems to be so very common for the bullies. The great thing is that you are dealing with a wonderful vet, I cannot rave enough about them after Tyson's surgery & how wonderful, and reassuring they were to us. So I know she will be just fine! Tyson goes in to Brittmore for his vaccinations next Saturday :) That will also be the 2 month post op check up. Now, if we could get Tyson's huge self down in weight that would be great. 35 lbs seems so tiny compared to his 79lbs! :no:

When she had MRSA it sucked. Took almost 9 months to fully get rid of it. I love our vet and know they aren't in if for just the money. Even the estimate they gave us wasn't bad and I think it is actually cheaper than what we paid them for her spay. Sure they are a bit expensive for general checkups and shots but I can deal with that just because of their bully knowledge. How has Tyson been doing since the surgery?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
When she had MRSA it sucked. Took almost 9 months to fully get rid of it. I love our vet and know they aren't in if for just the money. Even the estimate they gave us wasn't bad and I think it is actually cheaper than what we paid them for her spay. Sure they are a bit expensive for general checkups and shots but I can deal with that just because of their bully knowledge. How has Tyson been doing since the surgery?

Wow - 9 months! It just goes to show that with good medical care, love, willingness & dedication from the parents, we can all help our babies. Hats off to you for your amazing care of Harela :) I agree 100% with you...I will pay the higher price any day for experience & knowledge of the breed, along with sincere care. Brittmore has seen me in my weakest, pouring out tears in the front lobby & in rooms - the doc even hugged me a few times. They actually put me in a private room in the back once because I was so emotional. (probably so I wouldn't scare others, haha) I was actually expecting a much higher price for his exploratory surgery than what they charged. Not that it was cheap, but still, I did my research & it wasn't a bad price. On the day of his surgery when we dropped him off, one of the vet techs came to me with a small post it and asked for my cell phone number - she said she would text me little updates throughout the day with pictures. The amount of comfort that gave me was unreal; no one even knew she had done that. It wasn't until I brought her a small gift about 2 weeks later to show my thanks that the girls up front found out.

Tyson is doing so good! He's finally back to what I consider normal, lol - we're still working out foods, and allergies, but he's good. I can deal with tear stains as we navigate & figure out the perfect combo for him. Last night, he got stung by a wasp. Ugh, I panicked when he started holding his back paw up. But after a quick baking soda dip, some witch hazel & neosporin, he was fine. No swelling, thank goodness - and where the heck did this wasp come from when its 30 degrees outside?! Hah. Sorry,this post went longer than I had intended. Tyson is great... he's getting up there in age, so he's slowing down a bit, but I've been told not only by other people, but also the vet that he is in great shape for his age! That makes me happy. Hugs to Harlea from Tyson :heart:Maybe one day we'll run into each other & they can meet.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am so glad to hear her MRSA has finally cleared. The good news of the bad news is that all the bullies here have done well with the nare/pallet surgery. Frankie likes to drop "surprises" wherever we go also. lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] Todd, so good to hear that Harlea had a good check up. Even with her nare/pallet news-you know you have a good Dr. that you trust. So happy that Harlea is feeling well!! Your wife definitely got all the :poo: scoop on your baby!!!! I am very sure that was not the first time that happened to the vet!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm glad to hear about the MRSA… Thank GOD!!! And I know you've done your homework in the food jungle, I'm so glad that Honest Kitchen is working for you guys!!! That's a bummer about the nares and pallet, BUT at least your vet seems knowledgable about bullies and as long as you trust him Harlea is in good hands. Plus you know that we have your back here… ;)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]...yea for great news, give all there HUGS (cold, wet ones) from us!

I think the petite bullies are adorable, Harlea certainly is the MOST adorable,
Baby O (Orion) is another [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Cami did the same to me at a Vet checkout so I know how your wife felt ;)

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] Todd, so good to hear that Harlea had a good check up. Even with her nare/pallet news-you know you have a good Dr. that you trust. So happy that Harlea is feeling well!! Your wife definitely got all the [emoji14]oo: scoop on your baby!!!! I am very sure that was not the first time that happened to the vet!!!
Actually it was the first time. She has never done it when I take her. Lol
I'm glad to hear about the MRSA… Thank GOD!!! And I know you've done your homework in the food jungle, I'm so glad that Honest Kitchen is working for you guys!!! That's a bummer about the nares and pallet, BUT at least your vet seems knowledgable about bullies and as long as you trust him Harlea is in good hands. Plus you know that we have your back here… ;)
Oh yeah. I have the same vet that [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] has. They even sent home a little packet with before and after pictures to show what it looks like.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If not all great news, at least good news...and what is wrong can be fixed...so congrats!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love great vet visits! Sad about the nares/palate, but with her being in such great shape she should not have any issues.... GREAT bully daddy!!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I will try and scan the pictures they gave us and post them for future reference for other members if they come out ok.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.