jennylynnstevens

May 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Winston
Hi Everyone! About a month ago my 8-year-old EB, Mr. Winston developed a small staph infection on his back (scab about the size of a pencil eraser). My vet prescribed antibiotics and a prescription cream. Everything cleared up but then it came back in a new spot! Back to the vet for more antibiotics and cream....everything cleared up in a week. Last night I noticed a third spot! This has all happened in about two month's time and I don't know what to do. He needs a bath but I don't know if it's a good idea to wash him and let soap touch it? Is it bad to put him on antibiotics again in such a short period of time? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks all!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi Everyone! About a month ago my 8-year-old EB, Mr. Winston developed a small staph infection on his back (scab about the size of a pencil eraser). My vet prescribed antibiotics and a prescription cream. Everything cleared up but then it came back in a new spot! Back to the vet for more antibiotics and cream....everything cleared up in a week. Last night I noticed a third spot! This has all happened in about two month's time and I don't know what to do. He needs a bath but I don't know if it's a good idea to wash him and let soap touch it? Is it bad to put him on antibiotics again in such a short period of time? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks all!

This could be allergy related - we had the same issue with Tyson, they would just pop up everywhere, fall off, then the hair would grow back, but they were spreading. We changed food, added supplements (salmon oil, omega), and that did the trick. However, now we still have tear stains, and read/brown itchies.. However the scabs are gone. Its a never ending battle I tell you. I wouldn't do the antibiotics again unless its really bad.

By the way, bath is great for it, you want it clean & dry... we used neosporin on Tyson's and it would heal within a few days. Just make sure the shampoo you are using is gentle... no chemicals, or anything harsh that could irritate it.

OP
J

jennylynnstevens

May 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Winston
Thanks Jessica! We have been feeding him the same food for over a year and he has done great. Do you think allergies can change and I should re-evaluate the food? I'll definitely put a bath on the schedule this week and look for some gentle shampoo. Thanks again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed -- it is allergy related. My guy had them until we identified his allergen was rice... removed rice from his diet and they cleared up

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks Jessica! We have been feeding him the same food for over a year and he has done great. Do you think allergies can change and I should re-evaluate the food? I'll definitely put a bath on the schedule this week and look for some gentle shampoo. Thanks again!

Yes, sure can - we had Tyson on the same food for years, then the little scabs started. Vet said they can become immune to it, which is why the food had to be changed to another protein. Just make sure you if you decide to switch, that you do it with a transition period of at least a week, (not at once - as it will upset his tummy) and make sure you are reading the ingredients to ensure you're not feeding the same protein. Alot of foods have more than one protein - even if the food is called "beef" you may read the ingredients and find out it also has chicken. Also, like @2BullyMama said check for rice, grains, chicken, those tend to be the top contributors to allergies ;) During the transition, you can also add some regular canned pumpkin to help his belly with the switch. If you aren't supplementing him, maybe consider or research some omega, fish oil, salmon oil, coconut oil, all of those are really good for healthy coats :) You'll find lot of info on the forum regarding it :) And plenty of helpful members to guide you!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It very well could be allergies. However, I would have the vet do a culture to rule out MRSA as that is a pain to get rid of.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This could be allergy related - we had the same issue with Tyson, they would just pop up everywhere, fall off, then the hair would grow back, but they were spreading. We changed food, added supplements (salmon oil, omega), and that did the trick. However, now we still have tear stains, and read/brown itchies.. However the scabs are gone. Its a never ending battle I tell you. I wouldn't do the antibiotics again unless its really bad.

By the way, bath is great for it, you want it clean & dry... we used neosporin on Tyson's and it would heal within a few days. Just make sure the shampoo you are using is gentle... no chemicals, or anything harsh that could irritate it.

:goodpost:

OP
J

jennylynnstevens

May 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Winston
How often do you guys typically bathe your doggies? Winston doesn't have many skin issues so I have been once a month or every 6 weeks. Maybe I need to up that to twice a month?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How often do you guys typically bathe your doggies? Winston doesn't have many skin issues so I have been once a month or every 6 weeks. Maybe I need to up that to twice a month?

I do my guys twice a year... yes, a year. Unless they look bad I might do more.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

I try to once a month, but it doesn't always happen. Now, when he was having his issues with the scabs, I did do like twice a month with like a medicated oatmeal or very gentle shampoo just to give him some relief.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We give Harlea a bath once a week due to allergies and previously having MRSA.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=11764]jennylynnstevens[/MENTION] - How is Mr. Winston doing? Has his staph infection healed up? Any changes on the food?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Does he have any signs of allergies? Licking, scratching, redness? If he doesn't have any signs and he's doing good on his current food, I wouldn't change it. The staph can be caused by something else..

Most Reactions

Members online