...need some opinions from other owners...

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I would get a second opinion. If you go the Bulldog Club of America Website they have a list of vets in the area who are bulldog experts (not sure if your vet is on or not). They might be able to tell you if the surgery is necessary. We had his nose holes widened to help with breathing, but it was relatively cheap and worth it to help him out. As for the tail, we just wipe his butt after every potty break and wash it thoroughly and keep it dry. Unless his tail is very tight and difficult to get around, the surgery should no be necessary.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
If you do decide to get the amputation, be on the look-out of all kinds of prblems afterwards... like stool incontinence, and even the inability to stand as all the nerves are back there. My last dog didn't have a tail... it was all inside the body and I had to clean out the tail pocket 2x/day. You also need to go to a neuro-surgeon to get it done. I would recommend NOT getting it done.

BTW, why did the breeder wait 2 years to get the entropian surgery done?

OP
S

Swanny

Jan 26, 2011
This is what I have done; I contacted the rescue group here in Houston for some local advice. She recommended a vet that is on the other side of Houston from me, but will be getting with him. She was very helpful, and calming which I really needed yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I expected to have a cost with ownership, but I don't think anyone is truly prepared after owning a dog for a week to have that many surgeries and everything be that costly. On your list here there isn't a vet in Houston. On the other link there were four.

So, I think I have a game-plan. The eyes to me are the most important because I can tell he already has problems with his vision. I guess I just start there. Her vet should have a very good handle on him as well since she does run a rescue group for the breed. The most important for my wife is the tail, since he doesn't allow her or I to clean it very well. My vet yesterday also said that it could be inflamed due to that an creating a bad circle for him!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1768]Swanny[/MENTION] It's good that you've taken a step towards getting a second opinion. It should hlep you feel more in control of the situation .. and I do agree that the eyes are probably going to have to be done. You may just have to both be very stern and work on the butt wiping!!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i don't have any advice to add other than the second opinion, which you've begun the steps. i just wanted to wish you the best and hope things work out for you and your bully.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, when I bought "Maximus" he came with eye problems, and Entropion was the diagnosis. He has since been seen and followed
by a Veternarian Opthamologist who says he may not need the surgery now (his eyes are stapled) but at some point in his life, he will require the surgery so I have no choice...

I don't know if you have a choice with the Tail surgery either. Max has a very tight corkscrew tail which I have to keep very clean and dry daily.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.