...need some opinions from other owners...

Swanny

Jan 26, 2011
As you may know from my other posts, I recently adopted an English Bulldog. Today was his first trip to the vet. I trust my vet and have a relationship with her built on past animals. So, she told me he was going to need three different surgeries: entropion, tail amputation, as well as the nasal surgery whose name escapes me.

Now, I like the dog. He seems to have a real good temperament (beyond the stubborn-ness). However, I don't have the thousands to spend on the surgeries, nor was I presented with the problems when I adopted. I don't feel right pawning the dog off on someone else as was done to me (at least that is how I feel). So what do I do? I called the breeder and spoke with her and she said that since he is 2 and has never exhibited problems from the breathing, that he probably doesn't need that surgery, even though it was suggested from my trusted vet.

So, I'm open to ideas folks... I'm really not sure how to proceed...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If it was me, and I trusted the breeder, I would seek a second opinion, unless the breeder already suggested that he needed the first two done. Those surgeries are common in EBs but to have them all done all at the same time, I'm not too sure.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I would get a second opinion as well. I know you trust your Vet but does he/she have experience with bullies??

OP
S

Swanny

Jan 26, 2011
Well, the entropion(sp?) has to be done. The tail amputation, I feel probably needs to be done because it really is that corkscrewed. The questionable surgery would be the nasal passage.

Starrbulldogs

Jul 14, 2010
If the dog has never had problems with having an inverted tail there is NO reason to remove it! I find it sad that your Vet would even consider it unless there were problems & same goes for the nasal! I have 2 Bulldogs with tails like that a 6 year old & a 9 year old & they still have their tails!! Get a second opinion!!!

Starrbulldogs

Jul 14, 2010
An inverted tail is where the cork screws is covered up with skin & you really can see it. The thing with removing the tail is it should be the last resort as the tail is part of the spine :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree, even though you trust your vet, anytime a vet will ever tell me surgery is required I will always seek a second opinion. Also make note, when you get a second opinion, NEVER tell the second vet what the first vet said until AFTER they have come up with their own diagnosis. ONLY THEN, should you point out that is was recommended by another vet, and what they think of the prior vet's diagnosis.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with the other posts, 2nd opinion for sure. Find a vet who is great with bullies as someone already recommended. Having a good vet isnt the same as having a good bully vet. Bulldogs are SO different than other breeds and most vets arent practiced with the smooshy nose dogs. Surgery alone should only be done by someone who works with them often anyhow since they are more at risk when being put under. Even if every one of these surgeries is necessary and I find it hard to believe they all are when your pup is 2 now right? I wouldnt have just any good vet perform them anyhow. Seems to me if the tail needed amputated you would have so many problems with it being infected and untreatable to begin with. If that isnt the case then there is no way it should be amputated. There are many on here with tight tails and if taken well care of they are just fine. I hope for this pups sake this vet is wrong. Poor thing. Let us know what the 2nd opinion says.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Cadi has a very tight tail with a tail pocket and I just keep it clean and dry and my vet has told me there is no way it should be removed.... so along with her nose rope being cleaned, her tail pocket is cleaned. Try cleanning and keeping it dry before even thinking about removal.... Chesty has had his soft palete removed and his nose drilled out and the vet said it would save his life, with out it he would have been dead before he was 2 years old..... Chesty hacked and was always having breathing problems. I have one of the best bulldog vets in this state... he stayed with him and when he left had him on video at his home. would not let us take him home until he thought he was ready as he said the only bulldog he had ever lost was because he let him go home to early.... Chesty brother lived in warmer weather and his mom didn't know about the problem and they lost him before he was two. So in my opinion look for a good bulldog vet and get a second opinion.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
stenotic nares & entropian surgeries are very common and help your bullies quality of life. The tail amputation should be a last resort! I work with alot of bullies and have only known a couple that "needed" it done. I loved the Vet we used to see...until we got a bully. Most Vetss are not knowledgable about the breed. I went through 3 before finding a good bully vet. I would definately get a second opinion!!! Did you look to see if EBN has a vet recommendation in your area?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm with everybody else in getting a second opinion. This site has a list of recommended veterinarians in your area, just link to it from the home page. If not go to the Bulldog Club of America website - www.thebca.org - on the left hand side as you scroll down you will see the link "Veterinarian List". If you click on that it will give you a list by state of all the vets that are recommended by the bulldog club of america.

Daddy has a very tight corkscrew tail, it sits tightly up against his butt and he always comes in with poop under his tail! The eyes I wouldn't hesitate to get done, but the nose I would say also needs a second opinion along with the tail.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I agree with everyone else, find a good Bully vet and get a 2nd opinion. I'm new to this breed and not at all familiar with these surgeries. Maybe you can get them done one at a time, if they truly do need to be done. Make it a little less hard on the budget. I admire you for not just passing him on to some other unsuspecting person.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Have you found anything out yet? Like everyone
else I would get a second opinion. Hope everything
goes well for you.

Members online

No members online now.