Rabies Vaccination. Dangerous or not?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I posted a thread about Goob's recent vet trip already but... while we were at the office, they gave him a heartworm test and a rabies shot.

I was putting off the rabies shot for as long as possible. I had heard from a friend that rabies shots can be life threatening and that contracting rabies is SO uncommon that it's not even something to worry about (especially with an indoor dog). He got one while in California but was due for another one here in Tennessee. I told the receptionist that I was hesitant to give him the shot and she had no concern about it being dangerous. She told me I could also get his boosters at the visit but I was thinking....If rabies can be a serious vaccination...why in the world would I add other ones on top of it?

I feel like an idiot now because I didn't even see exactly where the vet administered the shot so I could keep an eye on the injection sight. I combed through his fur and there weren't any irritations thank God!

Are vets so much like doctors who only want to medicate and vaccinate that they don't care about other options/risks OR is the rabies shot safer than I realize and I am being a little crazy??

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Rabies vaccine is overall a safe vaccine. Of course, like all drugs there are potential side effects but i understand the risk is low. To me, the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risk b/c once a dog contracts rabies, the chances of survival are not good.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rabies vaccine is overall a safe vaccine. Of course, like all drugs there are potential side effects but i understand the risk is low. To me, the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risk b/c once a dog contracts rabies, the chances of survival are not good.

^^ totally agree! Besides, in most states is is law/required

Members online

No members online now.