JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
My poor Farley has started this year off with extra itchy skin. The Benadryl 3 X's a day wasn't cutting it anymore along with the medicated baths 3 times a week.:no:

I've been trying to get him on food that would give him some itch relief the past year. Salmon grain free food seemed to work really well in the beginning, but then he started turning pink and started having runny eyes and rash like bumps on his belly and torso. So I went to a lamb grain free food. He flared up even worse. Then I went back to salmon while I found another food to try and it was Bison TOTW. He flared up very badly with that one too.(Ended up having Lamb in the ingredients) Then I saw a new Halo brand that is a Pork and Peas flavor so I bought that. That didn't work at ALL! Even between his toes became red and then swelled. He couldn't stop rubbing his face and he developed a hot spot along with a rash on the front legs. He has been miserable for the past 5 days. This vet appointment couldn't get here fast enough!! :whew:

Off to the vet we went today. I told her about everything and how his skin just has really gotten out of control the last 3 weeks. She said we needed to do a food trial and he needs to go vegetarian first. She approved the use of Halo Vegan Garden Medley. No treats, no dairy only his vegetarian kibble for the next few months.

Meanwhile the poor boy has a skin infection and secondary yeast infection in his ears and on his body. He was put on an expensive antibiotic for his skin infection: Cefpodoxime proxetil 200 MG, prednisone, Mometamax ear ointment and MiconaHex-Triz shampoo to bathe 3 times a week.

And she pulled blood to check his thyroid just to rule out any issues with that. I feel like a bad mom for him getting this bad, it didn't take long to get his skin out of control. I have to bath him every 2- 3 days due to him getting dandruff and getting really stinky and greasy feeling. ( I guess that is the yeast issue) I'm hoping that we are going to be on the right track and can get him feeling better soon. :pray:

I'll have to keep this updated as time goes on. I just wanted to share this in case it can help someone else in the future too.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Poor Farley(and Mom). I sure hope all this will help him feel much better. Being so itchy is just miserable-I've had poison ivy really bad a few times-I know it drives you nuts!
Feel better soon, Farley Foo!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a good game plan, keep us posted on his progress. You are right, these problems can come up so fast! Especially yeast and skin infections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
You should ask your vet about Apoquel. Hershey is on it...its a new medication that works wonders for skin allergies. Hershey would get the pink belly and rash and bumps just like you described...its worth a shot..so many people are asking for it now that it's in short supply. Google it and read up on it.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, and Farley i'm sure is not having the greatest time. Lola has had skin issues in the past, some food aggravates it but in general we think its environmental. The only thing that saves her and us is a 1 pill per day prescription of vanactyl-P (i think temaril-P) in the states. It's a vet-only prescribed medicine that combines steroid and anti-inflammatory. Normal dosage is 6/day and weaned down to 1/2 pill to nothing within two weeks. It is a steroid and thus does have some side effects and long term usage effects but my vet and I are ok with the risks of a low dose compared to Lola not being on anything (nightmare quality of life).

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, and Farley i'm sure is not having the greatest time. Lola has had skin issues in the past, some food aggravates it but in general we think its environmental. The only thing that saves her and us is a 1 pill per day prescription of vanactyl-P (i think temaril-P) in the states. It's a vet-only prescribed medicine that combines steroid and anti-inflammatory. Normal dosage is 6/day and weaned down to 1/2 pill to nothing within two weeks. It is a steroid and thus does have some side effects and long term usage effects but my vet and I are ok with the risks of a low dose compared to Lola not being on anything (nightmare quality of life).

This is something I keep asking myself too. Do I want to put Blue on Pred. until Apoquel becomes available.
I've done the math, and he's on it an average of every 4 months for about 2 weeks total (with the weaning) so I decided to hold off for now.

I hate steroids, but I hate seeing them miserable even more.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
A medicated shampoo -- peroxide shampoo or Duoxo makes a good one -- might help alleviate some of it. Poor guy I hope you're able to get him some relief soon.

OP
JennyBean

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
Thanks everyone. Farley is resting today.
[MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] : Apoquel sounds very interesting! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Due to the short supply that may be why my vet didn't bring that one up. She mentioned the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cyclosporine drug could be an option down the road. I just hate having to use autoimmune drugs or steriods, but I understand it is necessary to get inflammation under control quick to make him comfortable. [/FONT] [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] : I know what you mean! It makes me feel worse seeing them so dang uncomfortable.

I know this is Farley Foo's only first day on meds and his vegan diet. But I could tell already this morning that the redness was almost gone to his skin and he isn't feeling so hot to the touch. Poor baby has been sawing some LOGS today!!
Zzzz He must have been so exhausted from all the itching this weekend.

He had his bath tonight and has been very good about taking his meds in his food. I was worried since I used to use cheese as my pill dispenser! Thankfully Farley is such a chow hound he doesn't notice what the heck he is eating! :sarcastic:

So hopefully this food trial will help and we can figure out what exactly he can eat again.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awwww, poor Farley Foo and you too! Hoping he finds relief asap,
thank you for sharing your story & updating, please continue doing
so, it helps others so much. Will keep y'all in prayer ~GOD bless!

Members online

No members online now.