Bully spinal cord deformation?

jwjbama

Jul 27, 2010
Madison, Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Hi all. I have a friend who breeds bullies. They had one pup with some type of spinal deformation and the little guy will not be able to walk. They're saying he'll need diapers and a wheelchair. It appears he can move the legs, but can't bend them. I'm really torn on taking care of him. Anyone seen this before?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
If you have never had a bulldog before, I honestly would not recomend it. A bully is A LOT of work on their own, let alone one with all of these special needs, not to mention the extreme cost of vet care that insurance will not cover. I understand your compassion and willingness to help butvI am sure that if they get with a resuce they will be able to find a home capable of giving him the care he needs. If you have had a bulldog before and have a good sized disposable income and don't work or work from home then by all means go for it.

Cat01

Jan 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Maddie
Speaking from experience- I will say that it is a tremendous amount of work, money(insurance will not touch any of the cost for care), and patience. Not to mention devotion and love for your bully. If you can commit to this, it is worth it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have seen some bullies who have had leg issues and spina bifida but never together at the same time. I will share this post and see what kind of things you could expect.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It is capable of being done, but yes you will have a tremendous amount to deal with both with expense and dedication. I fostered a Frenchie with this sort of condition, he can control of the bowels but not the bladder. He got along in the wheel chair while outside, but inside he would pull himself around with his front legs. He could do anything but get up and down the stairs and furniture.
I also own a bully who when little (3-6 months) had no bowel control. She was in a diaper when she felt like it, otherwise we would be cleaning out the crate and washing baby blankets every day. When she would wiggle out of the diaper we would wrap her in the baby blankets to keep from getting :poo: all over. Bella's bowels moved things out all day long, constantly.
Now if you aren't willing to take on the expense and work, there are many rescues out there that will and will find a fur-ever home. A lot of times with families and parents who have experience in this. I don't know how much you are attached to this pup, but if you choose to keep it, you have a special heart and I wouldn't blame you at all for helping him out. I would have kept the Frenchie myself if I didn't already have 3 dogs.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Wow, that's quite an undertaking! I admire the fact that you are considering doing this. I'm wondering, have you had a Bully before? They are WONDERFUL!!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Its def not something to do spur of the moment. These dogs require ALOT more time and attention. They are more suitable for a stay at home or someone who only works a few hours. Its alot of poo cleaning, eventually you will have to learn bladder emptying. You will have to keep their areas clean and dry to prevent infection. They are very very loving and require alot more care on top of the normal bully care. Please be well educated about the pups condition and if u believe this would be right for u and the pup. The reward is great and the love u will recieve is unexplainable. This is the frenchie [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] was mentioning we shared foster and i tell u he was the sweetest loving boy ever.
101_3596.jpg

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Wow! I agree with all the above posts. I would love to take a bully with special needs but I know my lifestyle wouldnt allow for it right now. If you are able to do it, that is a true blessing.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I guess what everyone's saying is that please take note of the commitment required to take care of the pup. Consider all the resources and time needed. It's touching that you're considering taking care of the puppy. You have such a big heart.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.