Hhusband710

Feb 6, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hello All!

I am a new English bulldog momma as we fostered one with heartworm, fell in love and adopted him. We've had him since August (he's estimated to be 1 1/2 yrs), and in the past month or so we have noticed head tremors, the first time rushed him to the vet very concerned. All blood tests came back normal and everything then I started to do some research as I'm sure everyone does, and I am finding this to be a common problem.Our vet recommended medicating him (not happening, and also going to find a new vet).

It has happened twice in the past 4 days while we have been home to experience it. They last anywhere from 2-8 minutes. We try to distract Brutus with peanut butter, or honey. But I would rather they not happen at all.

I was wondering if there was any remedy anyone has found that works for their dogs to stop them from even starting. I read that feeding them frozen yogurt with honey a couple times a week has stopped a couple dogs from having issue. I found a natural recipe online that I was going to make and try with him.

Any help is greatly appreciated, it seems to just be an annoyance and no real pain is felt, but its hard to watch and I'd rather him not go through them anymore!

Thanks!

Heather

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Tracey Halvorsen

Jul 16, 2013
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Birdie and Fanny
Our 15 month old bully Fanny just started having tremors last night - had about 5 episodes with diminishing intensity before making it back to sleep. Playing and treats got her to snap out of it temporarily, with the toys working best to keep that particular episode from continuing. Had another round this morning of about 3 episodes. Then another once we got to work. Each "episode" lasts about 3-5 minutes, she is aware the entire time and responsive, not drooling or foaming at the mouth or rigidity in limbs. Easy to snap her out of it but then they often come right back until they run the coarse. Giving her Tums in case it's calcium related and using honey and yogurt during episodes since she likes that a lot and hopefully helps if it's sugar related. The only other thing I can think of is that she was playing a TON this past weekend and yesterday, and when she plays she shakes her toys around with her head - pretty aggressively. Perhaps this is a muscle spasm thing that is (for her) triggered by too much shaking and neck muscle fatigue. No idea. Keeping notes for now and will only go to vet if we see symptoms not consistent with head tremors, or if she has a tremor that won't stop after a good period of time. Wish us luck, it's so hard to see our little pup having this, with that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it's something worse. She got through a round of pretty bad distichia requiring two surgeries, and had a bout of allergies two weeks ago that we don't know what was the cause of, so she could really just use some non-bulldog-issue time, and so could her parents! I'll try to upload soon - I have one of it happening when it's more intense, and one where she's trying to go to sleep and it's still happening but very lightly. I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, or just well wishes. We are a special group that cares for this special breed, and I very much appreciate forums like this and all the knowledge everyone shares. It's been extremely helpful especially in the past 12 hours as we've started experiencing this very scary but hopefully harmless syndrome. I guess my main questions is - how much is too much? How many is too many or how long is too long? So far, she's doing about 5 episodes in a row until it completely stops, with each tremor series lasting about 3-5 minutes, in decreasing severity. She's had 3 "bouts" so far since 2 am last night.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I believe that vitamin B is the best remedy for this condition. Vitamin B's play a big role in the nervous system and deficiency could be the reason for these. At least I know a few bulldogs who have not had them since starting to supplement with vitamin B. It is also water soluble, so there is no risk of over dose.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our 15 month old bully Fanny just started having tremors last night - had about 5 episodes with diminishing intensity before making it back to sleep. Playing and treats got her to snap out of it temporarily, with the toys working best to keep that particular episode from continuing. Had another round this morning of about 3 episodes. Then another once we got to work. Each "episode" lasts about 3-5 minutes, she is aware the entire time and responsive, not drooling or foaming at the mouth or rigidity in limbs. Easy to snap her out of it but then they often come right back until they run the coarse. Giving her Tums in case it's calcium related and using honey and yogurt during episodes since she likes that a lot and hopefully helps if it's sugar related. The only other thing I can think of is that she was playing a TON this past weekend and yesterday, and when she plays she shakes her toys around with her head - pretty aggressively. Perhaps this is a muscle spasm thing that is (for her) triggered by too much shaking and neck muscle fatigue. No idea. Keeping notes for now and will only go to vet if we see symptoms not consistent with head tremors, or if she has a tremor that won't stop after a good period of time. Wish us luck, it's so hard to see our little pup having this, with that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it's something worse. She got through a round of pretty bad distichia requiring two surgeries, and had a bout of allergies two weeks ago that we don't know what was the cause of, so she could really just use some non-bulldog-issue time, and so could her parents! I'll try to upload soon - I have one of it happening when it's more intense, and one where she's trying to go to sleep and it's still happening but very lightly. I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions, or just well wishes. We are a special group that cares for this special breed, and I very much appreciate forums like this and all the knowledge everyone shares. It's been extremely helpful especially in the past 12 hours as we've started experiencing this very scary but hopefully harmless syndrome. I guess my main questions is - how much is too much? How many is too many or how long is too long? So far, she's doing about 5 episodes in a row until it completely stops, with each tremor series lasting about 3-5 minutes, in decreasing severity. She's had 3 "bouts" so far since 2 am last night.

They are scary to us especially since we have no clue was causes them... when we took Nitschke to the neurologist he said they are harmless and there is no know cause or reason at this time (how frustrating for us). As long as your baby is responding to you and will look at you when called... it should be nothing more than tremors, but it will be good to see the video if you can load it.. in case it is something more.. others can add insight. Nitschke's would last, on/off up to an hour, but Banks usually got them after something stressful for her (car rides being a big one) and she was falling asleep as you mention..... call her name, give a treat and it stopped, but Nitschke's would continue even after all that. My point it, they all seem to be different on some level and you have to try and find the right balance. Another thing that helped with Banks was marrow bones or an antler... gave her something to focus on

Tracey Halvorsen

Jul 16, 2013
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Birdie and Fanny
Here's a link to a video. We didn't intervene for this video as we wanted to see if it would resolve without the treat, toy, etc. This one lasted about 4.5 minutes, and did resolve. She had about 2 more before having them taper off and letting her get to sleep. https://youtu.be/ojc5-Y85ToA

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's a video of her with the tremors almost gone. Apologies for the audio - we were on a conference call so just mute it. https://youtu.be/mZH2Os8E8Oc

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, just like Banks had. Treats to distract ... there is no pain for them, they are scary looking and annoying to them.

Tracey Halvorsen

Jul 16, 2013
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Birdie and Fanny
Phew - thanks SO much for weighing in. PS your Banks was a real beauty, as was Nitschke. I guess Fanny will have to get used to getting treats and being spoiled :) One last followup question, any recommendations on amounts for things like Tums (calcium), Yogurt (sugar / calcium) and Vitamin B? I want to give each a try, but also don't want to cause stomach or system upset by being too aggressive. I was going to look on Amazon for a good B vitamin to use but if anyone has a type they like - please shoot me a link. Thanks again for the input!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phew - thanks SO much for weighing in. PS your Banks was a real beauty, as was Nitschke. I guess Fanny will have to get used to getting treats and being spoiled :) One last followup question, any recommendations on amounts for things like Tums (calcium), Yogurt (sugar / calcium) and Vitamin B? I want to give each a try, but also don't want to cause stomach or system upset by being too aggressive. I was going to look on Amazon for a good B vitamin to use but if anyone has a type they like - please shoot me a link. Thanks again for the input!

Tums -- maybe one a day
Yoguart -- I give a 'sloppy' tablespoon of plain greek with breakfast
Vitamin B -- I give one pill a day -- forget the milligram I will check when I get home and let you know. As Rikka told me previously, it is water-soluble so you can over do it

Thank you for the comments on my babies. I need to update pictures with our new babies, but just have not have the heart to do so :(

Tracey Halvorsen

Jul 16, 2013
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Birdie and Fanny
Once I figure out how this forum works, I'll post some of my babies and our girl Stella who passed away 2 years ago. She was a very sick bully who had a hypo plastic trachea and multiple bouts with pneumonia. That is what ultimately took her life at the young age of 7. But she lived a full and happy life, and was loved immensely. She also turned us into lifetime fans of this breed - for better or worse. For the record, our 12 year old lab / pit mix from the pound (you know - those mutts that are supposed to have less problems) has cost us way more in vet expenses between the allergy testing (that he outgrew) the multiple rounds of various cancers (and chemo treatments) and the splenic tumor that required emergency surgery. But we love them all - for better or worse. They remind us we all need to live in the moment and take every good day as a reason to celebrate! Thanks again for the info and feedback today, and can't wait to see some pics of your new nuggets - don't worry, your angels won't mind.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Once I figure out how this forum works, I'll post some of my babies and our girl Stella who passed away 2 years ago. She was a very sick bully who had a hypo plastic trachea and multiple bouts with pneumonia. That is what ultimately took her life at the young age of 7. But she lived a full and happy life, and was loved immensely. She also turned us into lifetime fans of this breed - for better or worse. For the record, our 12 year old lab / pit mix from the pound (you know - those mutts that are supposed to have less problems) has cost us way more in vet expenses between the allergy testing (that he outgrew) the multiple rounds of various cancers (and chemo treatments) and the splenic tumor that required emergency surgery. But we love them all - for better or worse. They remind us we all need to live in the moment and take every good day as a reason to celebrate! Thanks again for the info and feedback today, and can't wait to see some pics of your new nuggets - don't worry, your angels won't mind.

Let know what you need help with on the forum--- happy to help

Brancholympia

Dec 4, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Branch, and Beethoven
Any suggestions on type of vitamin B and where to buy from?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online