Jumping off Couches and Bed

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
We have a week to go before we go into the Vet for Neutering and Xrays for Boris's rear hips and last night he gave me my biggest scare yet. We were getting ready for bed and like usual he decided he wanted to get a few laps around the apartment done before crashing for the evening. He bounced from room to room jumping on and off the couch with use of the steps we have setup for him, but on his finally lap he decided to make a GIANT leap of faith and crashed to the ground once he hit the ground he started crying in pain. I came running out to the living room to see if something was wrong, but he seemed fine. I massaged his legs and tried to locate any sore spot, but couldn't find anything. We woke up this morning and he seemed completely fine which was a relief...

Any Recommendations for keeping his "hot laps" as I call them controlled? We have increased our daily walks by 2 and extended them by half a mile which sometimes ends with me carrying him home due to him giving up on the way...

We have started him on Nuvets Nujoint Plus to help combat any possible issues with Hip and joints.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I just started my Maximus on a Joint/Hip Supplement also - he injured his ACL from jumping on and off the sofa last December, and he ended up limping for weeks. He had to be
examined and followed by a Orthopedic Vet for weeks, fortunately he managed to heal himself and did not require Surgery. I did have to put Pillows up on the sofa to deter him from jumping on and off the sofa, since that is what injured his ACL in the first place.

OP
Enjoimangos

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
I just started my Maximus on a Joint/Hip Supplement also - he injured his ACL from jumping on and off the sofa last December, and he ended up limping for weeks. He had to be
examined and followed by a Orthopedic Vet for weeks, fortunately he managed to heal himself and did not require Surgery. I did have to put Pillows up on the sofa to deter him from jumping on and off the sofa, since that is what injured his ACL in the first place.

Glad to hear Maximus was able to turn around without any surgery. I've been going mad awaiting our Xrays to determine if Boris has Hip Dysplasia or other issues with his rear end since noticing a click/pop feeling when he walks around. I just want my little man to be healthy as can be! I would imagine he will be very upset with Mommy and Daddy not letting him climb about the furniture for a while :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They all do this at some point during the day/night.... Banks did them up to about age 7 or 8 and then they became occasional.
I see you are in MN so the weather is not a friend right now for additional walks or longer outdoor time, but maybe -- some bones or antlers to distract him?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We call that the bewitching hour. For us it was around 8 to 8:30 PM, they would go crazy. They out grow it once they get a little older, but you can try a little walk outside about that time of night and see if that helps.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.