OP
N

nkjordan23

Jan 24, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Grady
I think I am onto something here. After zoning in on jaw tremoring, I am finding mass amounts of info within the comments of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSO1kQFFVdU

This youtube video, the owner mentions something related to a unique plaque/ulcer building up in the throat. I'm still going through a lot of the comments, but i think this worth posting in here for anyone who may come across this issue. May not by my dogs issue, but it sure as heck looks similar to his issue.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I have no experience with tremors or seizures, so I'm not help there... but my Tyson does the same exact lip smacking thing all the time - but only when its time for bed & he'll do it for about 1-2 mins like you mentioned - but his jaw does not vibrate like Grady. I explained this to the vet, along with a short video, and she claims its a sign of nausea/upset tummy. Tyson did just had exploratory surgery about 2 1/2 weeks go to remove a sock from his stomach. The lip smacking part is spot on with what he did before the surgery and still does now. Vet claims as his belly heals, it will get better. He's on cerenia for nausea & pepcid. The only thing with Grady is that tremble/vibrate, that is different. Wish I could be of more help, but wanted to give my experience as its spot on with my Tyson.

OP
N

nkjordan23

Jan 24, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Grady
I just wanted to update this thread since its been a couple of months now. About 4 weeks ago, I switched up Grady's food and moved him to Great Life through Chewy's website. I also started supplementing with Fish oil. Since the change, I can say that Grady no longer had these issues! I have watched closely for weeks now and have not seen even the slightest sign. The only other variable that could possibly have an impact is the temperature change. It is starting to warm up here, but if anything, I would expect it to make things worse.

What I can say about the food change is I spent hours and hours looking for a food that did not have peas and canola oil. I had read some negative things about peas and noticed many manufacturers going in that direction because of the protein. The other issue is peas are used in multiple forms in the ingredients - pea fiber, ect. I set out to eliminate all of them and so far its been a positive experience.

I obviously cant say with 100% certainty that the food change had everything to do with it, but i watched him deal with this issue for 2-3 months and it stopped as soon as i switched him.

The new food is definitely more expensive, but if it saves me vet visits and he thrives off of it, its more than worth it!

So to summarize, i switched from Natures Domain (Costco) Turkey --> Great Life Grain & Potato Free Wild Salmon

https://www.petflow.com/product/gre...Usqd9O29hWyF6Ol1pFo93Y-ZYLzbvAB_AdhoCLlTw_wcB

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@nkjordan23 Sounds like very good news!! I hope Grady continues to do well on this food, and no more issues!! You may have made an IMPORTANT discovery here!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the info and so glad it is paying off for your baby

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I just wanted to update this thread since its been a couple of months now. About 4 weeks ago, I switched up Grady's food and moved him to Great Life through Chewy's website. I also started supplementing with Fish oil. Since the change, I can say that Grady no longer had these issues! I have watched closely for weeks now and have not seen even the slightest sign. The only other variable that could possibly have an impact is the temperature change. It is starting to warm up here, but if anything, I would expect it to make things worse.

What I can say about the food change is I spent hours and hours looking for a food that did not have peas and canola oil. I had read some negative things about peas and noticed many manufacturers going in that direction because of the protein. The other issue is peas are used in multiple forms in the ingredients - pea fiber, ect. I set out to eliminate all of them and so far its been a positive experience.

I obviously cant say with 100% certainty that the food change had everything to do with it, but i watched him deal with this issue for 2-3 months and it stopped as soon as i switched him.

The new food is definitely more expensive, but if it saves me vet visits and he thrives off of it, its more than worth it!

So to summarize, i switched from Natures Domain (Costco) Turkey --> Great Life Grain & Potato Free Wild Salmon

Wow! I was just going to post about looking into his food and here you've
posted, so great hearing this news! GOD bless you for reporting back, it's
so important and helps our bully owners very much, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
So Glad Grady is doing better, Give Grady a Hug and Kiss from Me and Elmo.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
LOVE hearing great updates! So happy that Grady is doing better, hugs to him!

pursuitburst

Aug 28, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
I can't thank you enough! For the past month, my bulldog has been having the jaw issue and we thought it was seizures! I found this thread from a random google search, after reading those comments on that video I mentioned it to my vet. He Looked deep in my bullies mouth and sure enough there were four ulcers deep in the back. After further testing, the official diagnosis is Eosinophilic Granuloma which is the same as on that video. It is very common in cats but apparently rare in dogs. This thread was one of the only places I found mentioning this after hours and hours of research, thanks again! Course of action now is Prednisone and will be doing food testing as my vet thinks the problem is from food allergies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I can't thank you enough! For the past month, my bulldog has been having the jaw issue and we thought it was seizures! I found this thread from a random google search, after reading those comments on that video I mentioned it to my vet. He Looked deep in my bullies mouth and sure enough there were four ulcers deep in the back. After further testing, the official diagnosis is Eosinophilic Granuloma which is the same as on that video. It is very common in cats but apparently rare in dogs. This thread was one of the only places I found mentioning this after hours and hours of research, thanks again! Course of action now is Prednisone and will be doing food testing as my vet thinks the problem is from food allergies.

I'm so glad you were able to get help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

so awesome you were able to get the hep you needed and your baby is on his way to getting better! please try to keep us posted.

Most Reactions