Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lip smacking and jaw shaking

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grady
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lip smacking and jaw shaking

@Manydogs - No need to apologize. I know everyone is here to help!

Thanks for the explanation and the great videos. So interesting to see the differences and similarities in some of these conditions.

Something odd I just noticed not more than than 10 min ago. Grady yawned and the jaw tremble happened again. However, it was only one time. What I wonder is if you put the restful stage part of this to the side, and you focus on only yawning (where this occurs frequently), what does that say?

I started searching for jaw trembling after yawning and there are tons of videos of dogs doing this. Some of them actually look exactly like my dogs condition. Sadly, their videos are asking the same question.

This one is spot on the same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6kInR7zOE

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your understanding! I actually could see the jaw vibrate in the beagle video. Seems like no one has the real answer-so it seems that it would be neurological. You could try distracting him, as @Libra926 suggests, and see if it helps him.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

They say that yawning is a way to get increased oxygen to the brain. Another point for something neurological.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grady
    Likes (Received)

I think I am onto something here. After zoning in on jaw tremoring, I am finding mass amounts of info within the comments of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSO1kQFFVdU

This youtube video, the owner mentions something related to a unique plaque/ulcer building up in the throat. I'm still going through a lot of the comments, but i think this worth posting in here for anyone who may come across this issue. May not by my dogs issue, but it sure as heck looks similar to his issue.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just taken moments ago!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I have no experience with tremors or seizures, so I'm not help there... but my Tyson does the same exact lip smacking thing all the time - but only when its time for bed & he'll do it for about 1-2 mins like you mentioned - but his jaw does not vibrate like Grady. I explained this to the vet, along with a short video, and she claims its a sign of nausea/upset tummy. Tyson did just had exploratory surgery about 2 1/2 weeks go to remove a sock from his stomach. The lip smacking part is spot on with what he did before the surgery and still does now. Vet claims as his belly heals, it will get better. He's on cerenia for nausea & pepcid. The only thing with Grady is that tremble/vibrate, that is different. Wish I could be of more help, but wanted to give my experience as its spot on with my Tyson.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grady
    Likes (Received)

I just wanted to update this thread since its been a couple of months now. About 4 weeks ago, I switched up Grady's food and moved him to Great Life through Chewy's website. I also started supplementing with Fish oil. Since the change, I can say that Grady no longer had these issues! I have watched closely for weeks now and have not seen even the slightest sign. The only other variable that could possibly have an impact is the temperature change. It is starting to warm up here, but if anything, I would expect it to make things worse.

What I can say about the food change is I spent hours and hours looking for a food that did not have peas and canola oil. I had read some negative things about peas and noticed many manufacturers going in that direction because of the protein. The other issue is peas are used in multiple forms in the ingredients - pea fiber, ect. I set out to eliminate all of them and so far its been a positive experience.

I obviously cant say with 100% certainty that the food change had everything to do with it, but i watched him deal with this issue for 2-3 months and it stopped as soon as i switched him.

The new food is definitely more expensive, but if it saves me vet visits and he thrives off of it, its more than worth it!

So to summarize, i switched from Natures Domain (Costco) Turkey --> Great Life Grain & Potato Free Wild Salmon

https://www.petflow.com/product/grea..._AdhoCLlTw_wcB

8. Likes bullmama, Libra926, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@nkjordan23 Sounds like very good news!! I hope Grady continues to do well on this food, and no more issues!! You may have made an IMPORTANT discovery here!!!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

10. Likes Libra926 liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info and so glad it is paying off for your baby
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

12. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Lip smacking and jaw shaking

Quote Originally Posted by nkjordan23 View Post
    I just wanted to update this thread since its been a couple of months now. About 4 weeks ago, I switched up Grady's food and moved him to Great Life through Chewy's website. I also started supplementing with Fish oil. Since the change, I can say that Grady no longer had these issues! I have watched closely for weeks now and have not seen even the slightest sign. The only other variable that could possibly have an impact is the temperature change. It is starting to warm up here, but if anything, I would expect it to make things worse.

What I can say about the food change is I spent hours and hours looking for a food that did not have peas and canola oil. I had read some negative things about peas and noticed many manufacturers going in that direction because of the protein. The other issue is peas are used in multiple forms in the ingredients - pea fiber, ect. I set out to eliminate all of them and so far its been a positive experience.

I obviously cant say with 100% certainty that the food change had everything to do with it, but i watched him deal with this issue for 2-3 months and it stopped as soon as i switched him.

The new food is definitely more expensive, but if it saves me vet visits and he thrives off of it, its more than worth it!

So to summarize, i switched from Natures Domain (Costco) Turkey --> Great Life Grain & Potato Free Wild Salmon

Wow! I was just going to post about looking into his food and here you've
    posted, so great hearing this news! GOD bless you for reporting back, it's
    so important and helps our bully owners very much, thank you!
    Last edited by bullmama; 03-22-2015 at 10:16 PM.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

14. Likes bullmama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

So Glad Grady is doing better, Give Grady a Hug and Kiss from Me and Elmo.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

LOVE hearing great updates! So happy that Grady is doing better, hugs to him!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads