new bulldog owner...have a few ?s

clowens1971

Jan 29, 2011
We just became proud parents to a year and half old english bulldog who we've named Nigel. I know that they have a few more health problems and other issues more than most dogs. So, i'm unsure about a few things.
He's been with us for 2 days and has only urinated 3 times and had 2 bowel movements. Both of which looked and seemed healthy but our other dog goes 4-5 times a day...so, it seems odd to me.
Nigel's not the most active dog. It takes me tugging on him to get him up from his constant napping, even to go for a walk. But, once we're out walking, he's fine and energetic.
I know the snorts and grunts and random gas bombs are normal for bullys...so, none of those have been shocking. How about panting, is that normal even in cool weather?
I'm not sure if any of this is normal or if he's having seperation anxiety from his former owners and their other dogs...who he'd lived with for over a year. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. We just want to make sure he lives a long, healthy, happy life with us.
Thanks!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
The panting is normal unless you see it being strained or something. My boy pants most the time to some extent, in fact my 2 year old thinks that is what he "says" vs the pug who barks. haha (she imitates them both) As for the peeing, he should be going as often as any other dog. Is he drinking a lot of water tho? My boy was 9 months when we brought him home and he didnt eat hardly anything for a few days. I am not sure if he stopped drinking water too, it was a long time ago now. Maybe your boy is still trying to adjust and hasnt gotten to want to eat and drink so much yet? I would watch to make sure he is drinking enough tho, maybe even try to get him wanting more with little ice cubes? If he hasnt been pooping it is probably because he isnt eating as much also? He should come around and eat but the water is very important. Maybe give some healthy veggie snacks like carrots, green beans, lima beans etc... There is at least water in those as well so that will help. What kind of food is he on, just curious. Getting him on a good food is important for sure if he isnt already.
Oh and welcome to the board. :) Ask any and all questions you have, we have a good mixture of people on here who can answer most all of your questions. Please share more pics, we love them here. Your avatar is cute!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome. @cali-Jenn couldn't have said it any better. Just watch him closely.

You will soon learn to love the snorts, grunts and gas to the point you will never be with out a bully. The place gets addicting, that is not a warning but a welcome.

OP
clowens1971

clowens1971

Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the quick response. He's been drinking periodically and has eaten 3 times a day/ about a cup and a half each time. We're in the process of weening him and our other dog off of dry natural food to a homemade diet of chicken, brown rice and veggies. I will also be picking up a few supplements for him that i have found recommended on a few breeding sites.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How old is Nigel? That seems like a lot of food maybe. If he is eating that much then I would think he should be poo-ing more often also. I would just watch him closely and if you feel like something isnt right go with your gut and take him in. Having only had him for 2 days you should probably get him checked out overall anyhow just so you know what exactly you have with him. Do you have a good bully vet in your area that you know of? Regular vets are ok for things like shots and stuff but bullys have so many other things that they need checked out I would see what else is in your area as far as being bully knowledgeable.

Here is the link to the vets that have been recomended on here if you need.
English Bulldog Veterinarians-Veteranarians

L

Lucy-licious

Hello and welcome :) i'm sure u'll find answers to all the questions u have plus some :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome! Bulldogs pant when excited and/or nervous. He should settle down soon. If there is a wheeze in that pant he may need vet attention. Congratulations!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to our group, and congratulations on your new Bully!! You will get all the info you need on this site. Ask whatever questions you have.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome, it sounds like you are getting him on a great track on his diet. I think he is just getting used to his surroundings, and stress can last for several days to several weeks. Just keep giving him lots of love and hugs, and soon enough he will trust. You never know what life he had before, so this could be very traumatic for him.

He sure is a cutie pie! Glad you joined us and looking forward to getting to know you and Nigel better!

OP
clowens1971

clowens1971

Jan 29, 2011
so, it turns out that he has a thing for eating socks. well, one didn't make it all the way through and apparently had him a little "stopped up". he threw it up the other night and since then he's been eating and everything normal. :whew:
Nigel's definitley become very comfortable and happy with us....just in the way he plays and runs around the house.
and, thanks for the advice and welcomes.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Welcome. Glad he's feeling better! Yup, they eat anything that they can get their mouths on, dirty underwear included :barf:, so what out! lol.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.