Slight body Twitching?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Quick update: Tyson is 2 weeks, and 3 days post exploratory abdominal surgery. He had a 3rd sock that had adhered to his stomach removed (he vomited 2 other socks days prior to surgery). His incision looks like its healing nicely, he's eating normally. Drinking less than normal, but drinking. He's finished his antibiotics that came home with him, and we've been giving him pepcid twice a day since his stomach acids were a mess. Also did bland for a while, and slowly brought in kibble with some pumpkin (again to ease the belly)

Now, he's still not fully back to himself, which is fine, it was a big surgery & understand it takes time, but he recently started doing these small twitches. They are not fast/head only, I've researched tremors, and its nothing like that. It looks like someone falling asleep & then they catch themselves, and it kinda twitches in his belly area, front leg, and head (but its just once, not repetitive). He does it standing & sitting. He actually did this while he was sick prior to surgery. It seems to be an indicator to me that he's not feeling well. Question is this, how long does it take the stomach to heal, I wonder if his GI is just still a mess from that sock, surgery, etc?? He does show signs of nausea, but has not vomited at all. We have cerenia on hand but I haven't given it to him, bc I swear he's been drugged for the last 2 months with all the sock drama! It happens every few minutes or so. Does not happen at all when he is laying down, asleep or attentive to something. Only when he's just "relaxing" - he's always been a usual sleepy/lazy bulldog, but he's still sleeping longer than usual. I haven't worried much due to him recovering from surgery... but I just wonder what could still be lingering around, my husband says he's probably just literally (like I described) falling asleep then catching himself, lol but how come he's never done that before?....has anyone experienced anything like this?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well, I am by no means an expert and if it doesn't stop I would ask the vet, but when I had abdominal surgery, I know that I would get twinges in my tummy when the nerves were reattaching themselves after being cut. I think I would put a call into the vet and just get an opinion.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Well, I am by no means an expert and if it doesn't stop I would ask the vet, but when I had abdominal surgery, I know that I would get twinges in my tummy when the nerves were reattaching themselves after being cut. I think I would put a call into the vet and just get an opinion.

Very interesting - and helpful info. Thank you. I already have a call into the vet. I know when I mentioned it to her in the past (before the surgery) she said its normal with bulldogs as long as they don't fall over when they do it. While I can see it maybe being normal, its not normal for him, and he's done it only when something wasn't right. So maybe its the belly healing like you said. I am just paranoid (as you all know by now, lol)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
hi Jessica, I don't have experience with what you describe Tyson doing but I think these are good questions to ask your vet. I would think the abdomen healing process will take some time as he had major surgery there. The meds he was on post-surgery could be why he may still have some lingering sx's of nausea. Is he currently on any pain meds? Thank-u for the update and I continue to send positive thoughts for Tyson's continual healing.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He's not 100% yet. Give it more time. It could be a tummy ache, or the skin around the stitches is tight or feeling itchy. It could be that he's just still exhausted.. who knows. But I would give it another few weeks.

The Cerenia will absolutely help with nausea. Wellie was on Cerenia, Cisapride and Omeprezole (pepcid) for about 6-7 weeks total (pre and post surgery). They help.. a lot.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
hi Jessica, I don't have experience with what you describe Tyson doing but I think these are good questions to ask your vet. I would think the abdomen healing process will take some time as he had major surgery there. The meds he was on post-surgery could be why he may still have some lingering sx's of nausea. Is he currently on any pain meds? Thank-u for the update and I continue to send positive thoughts for Tyson's continual healing.

Thank you so much :)

He is no longer on pain meds, he was on antibiotics until about 2 days ago when he finished. I have a call into the vet, so I'll see what they say. Most times they just say "bring him in" so I'll see.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He's not 100% yet. Give it more time. It could be a tummy ache, or the skin around the stitches is tight or feeling itchy. It could be that he's just still exhausted.. who knows. But I would give it another few weeks.

The Cerenia will absolutely help with nausea. Wellie was on Cerenia, Cisapride and Omeprezole (pepcid) for about 6-7 weeks total (pre and post surgery). They help.. a lot.

Okay, I will give him one tonight then (cerenia). I appreciate it, I tend to get anxious when he's not well. I have been giving him pepcid these past weeks, but this morning I did the omeprezole (prilosec) instead to see if I noticed a difference. His incision area is tight, my husband has been softly massaging the area at night to help soften the tissue around it. He's a athletic/rehab therapist, and says it helps. 6-7 weeks, wow. Okay, I need to relax then, while I know the surgery was big, sometimes my emotions just want to speed up the recovery. My husband thinks I'm a total nut case, so I come to vent here instead!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Okay, I will give him one tonight then (cerenia). I appreciate it, I tend to get anxious when he's not well. I have been giving him pepcid these past weeks, but this morning I did the omeprezole (prilosec) instead to see if I noticed a difference. His incision area is tight, my husband has been softly massaging the area at night to help soften the tissue around it. He's a athletic/rehab therapist, and says it helps. 6-7 weeks, wow. Okay, I need to relax then, while I know the surgery was big, sometimes my emotions just want to speed up the recovery. My husband thinks I'm a total nut case, so I come to vent here instead!

Yeah, we all get nutty when it comes to these babies. But there's nutty, and then there's N-U-T-T-Y. You haven't reached the second stage yet ;).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This may seem totally random, but my boxer has been having slight tremors that are directly related to her medication. I know because I discussed this w/the vet… completely different than a classic seizure. I just try to keep her calm, and they usually pass right away.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This may seem totally random, but my boxer has been having slight tremors that are directly related to her medication. I know because I discussed this w/the vet… completely different than a classic seizure. I just try to keep her calm, and they usually pass right away.

I've done alot of research on tremors, but I don't think this is it. It literally looks like someone bobbing their head bc they are falling sleep, lol.
I don't have to distract him or keep him calm, bc its like like a split second thing. Its weird. But I'm relating it with him not feeling well because a while back when he was dealing with allergies & yeast issues, he was doing it. After it all cleared, he no longer did it. So I wonder what's triggering it now.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah, we all get nutty when it comes to these babies. But there's nutty, and then there's N-U-T-T-Y. You haven't reached the second stage yet ;).

Bwahahaha.... phew, good thing I haven't reached stage 2 yet, however I think I'm close. I want to pitch a tent next to him at night. LOL
Well, I got a call back from the vet, she said that we need to give him more time, just like you said. She said not only was the surgery big, the fact that they had to peel the entire sock off his stomach makes it even harder on the belly verses just removing something that was just loose & bouncing around. She said to continue the pepcid every day bc even if I think its not helping, it is. She said as long as he's eating, drinking, not vomiting, we are okay. I freak out thinking something could be wrong inside with his actual internal stomach incision but she said that we would see very drastic signs of change in him at this point already - so that helps a bit. The lethargic part is normal she said, and he could have better days than others while he's healing. So, with that said, I will give him a cerenia tonight along with his nightly pepcid, and see how he does.

Oh, and on the twitch part - she again confirmed that its a bulldog trait that can happen either when they are really young or as they get older. She said she see's it alot in the breed, but its not an indicator of anything wrong unless he's falling over when he does it. I'll say this, it semi-eases my mind, but I still think that for Tyson its a sign that he doesn't feel great. Maybe as he heals, he'll stop doing it. ::Sigh::

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the gang has you covered.... just wanted to say keep up the great nutty bulldog momma work... he needs it right now!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.