URGENT!!! Help Please! Is Benadryl safe for Puppies???

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Little Floyd has come down with hives all over in the last few hours. His face is fine as is his breathing so I don't feel the need for a night time emergency vet trip. But He seems itchy and looks uncomfortable to me and I'd like to go pick him up some Benadryl. He is 15 1/2 weeks and weighs 17 lbs. What type do I give him (children's/adults) and how much? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would give him one 25mg. benedryl.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Thanks, I was able to get in touch with the emergency vet and they gave me dosage instructions. They said 15mg. Hopefully this will help!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes Benadryl is safe, and many use it on a regular basis as needed for allergy symptoms and hives. You have been given great advice. There are many medications and supplements that are safe for humans that are also safe for dogs. It's always a good idea to ask your vet first, but most are safe, and cheaper to buy over the counter than from your vet. You can also request prescriptions for things like antibiotics and some pain medications to be written on a prescription and fill them out yourself at a pharmacy, it's usually cheaper to do this than to buy them from your vet.

Here is a link to medications that are safe and the dosages.

English Bulldog News Forums - Human Medications That Are Safe For Dogs and Their Dosage!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as others have stated.... it is safe at 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
How is Floyd doing today?

Floyd is doing much better today, thanks for asking. We gave him Benadryl last night and another dose early this morning and he is now hive free. He must have touched or ate something on our walk yesterday that didn't agree with him.

OP
Miss Lola

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Yes Benadryl is safe, and many use it on a regular basis as needed for allergy symptoms and hives. You have been given great advice. There are many medications and supplements that are safe for humans that are also safe for dogs. It's always a good idea to ask your vet first, but most are safe, and cheaper to buy over the counter than from your vet. You can also request prescriptions for things like antibiotics and some pain medications to be written on a prescription and fill them out yourself at a pharmacy, it's usually cheaper to do this than to buy them from your vet.

Here is a link to medications that are safe and the dosages.

English Bulldog News Forums - Human Medications That Are Safe For Dogs and Their Dosage!

Thanks for the info. I Know lots of people use Benadryl for their dogs but I had read online that you shouldn't give it to pups under 4 months so that why I was a little concerned. Thankfully one of the emergency vets put my mind at ease.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online