Help Hiatal hernia Surgery Pricing $$$$$$$$$$

pfgray2008

Aug 11, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None Yet
Hi I was wondering if you could possible provide me some assistance, my poor 1 year old English Bulldog Chubs needs surgery for sliding hiatal hernia. Iā€™m devastated my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Bulldog has been suffering for months with regurgitation. Iā€™m currently shopping for a surgeon but Iā€™m wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation with their bully? I live in Seattle WA and the estimate I got was roughly $3800.00 which including possible soft pallet resection if needed. Luckily I have a great pet insurance company which will take care of 90% of bill. But out of curiosity I thought I would try and find out what typically Hiatal hernia surgery costs? To my surprise there are no online sources for pet surgery estimates! I tried calling my insurance company and they claim they donā€™t have a database either. I find this shocking and concerning that individual in this day age canā€™t compare rates for service locally or nationallyā€¦

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have NO idea how much that surgery would costā€¦ plus you have to consider the area that you live in. I've tagged some members that live nearby, maybe you can find out where they take their bully and get an estimate from that clinicā€¦ Good Luck!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Costs vary greatly state to state, city to city and even county to county. It's tough. I don't know how much it would cost by me but I am willing to bet it is close to that amount as a bully spay near me is $750 and 200 miles up the road it is $250.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
strange as it is.... the cost do vary greatly as Todd and Tracey stated.... best thing to do is go to 2 differnt places with Bulldog experience and get estimates

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I know prices vary so much, all over the country-and I can't help you with that. Just want to say that the most important is that you find an EXPERIENCED English Bulldog Veterinarian. It makes a big difference for your Bulldog's life! I do wish you and your bullie well.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Have your vet clearly identify the procedure(s) he is estimating, if possible get it in writing this way you can shop vets because each surgeon is different using different items like meds, equipment, services like lab and X-ray, the number of techs/assistants, and medical supplies. Ask if the estimate includes everything like anesthesia, monitoring like an EKG, X-rays, labs, take home meds, overnight stays, etc for the procedure(s). Also ask vets if they have performed surgery on Bulldogs. My vet retired last year but he stopped performing surgery on brachycephalic dogs (dogs with pushed in noses like pugs, Bulldogs, Boston Terriers etc) in 2005 when he was 80 because he came close to loosing one while spading her. He actually pointed me to a vet here that is known as the bully vet because he has a lot of experience with these types of dogs.

Being able to give each vet a really good picture of what is needed will help with finding a vet that may be less. Don't be afraid to ask questions, when Canelo was fixed the vet asked me if I wanted an EKG because sometimes brachycephalic dogs have issues under anesthesia but if floored me that it was an option, to me it wasn't you do the EKG. I have been working hospital billing for years and while vets bill differently the items I mentioned are valid questions. Hospitals don't "bulk" or package bill for most things where vets do but they have to account for their costs so that's why you'll see a fluctuation in estimates based on the vet, location, equipment (new, state of the art equipment versus older but very functional equipment) etc. I hope that's not confusing or overwhelming, take your time, ask questions and know that the surgery will be worth it.

Also ask if the vet will allow a payment plan. When I looked into pet insurance I found most vets wanted payment up front and you can follow up with insurance after. See what your options are and ask away! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi I was wondering if you could possible provide me some assistance, my poor 1 year old English Bulldog Chubs needs surgery for sliding hiatal hernia. Iā€™m devastated my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Bulldog has been suffering for months with regurgitation. Iā€™m currently shopping for a surgeon but Iā€™m wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation with their bully? I live in Seattle WA and the estimate I got was roughly $3800.00 which including possible soft pallet resection if needed. Luckily I have a great pet insurance company which will take care of 90% of bill. But out of curiosity I thought I would try and find out what typically Hiatal hernia surgery costs? To my surprise there are no online sources for pet surgery estimates! I tried calling my insurance company and they claim they donā€™t have a database either. I find this shocking and concerning that individual in this day age canā€™t compare rates for service locally or nationallyā€¦

The quote sounds fine to me.
I've had bills reach that amount (per dog) in one specific veterinary hospital here in NYC (Manhattan).

Only thing that would make me question it is: was the quote from a hospital/clinic that will also keep him overnight, and provide 24 hour care? Or, is it a regular vets office where you'd be bringing him
home the same day? If it's the latter, I think it's too high regardless of the city. If it's a hospital, sounds on par with other cities.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We had two surgeries done at once and it came to about 3800 with two overnight stays. Toronto emergency clinic but scheduled referrals since they were the best in town.

sent from my droid mini

Tonyseaman

Jul 19, 2021
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Tony and ginger
Hi, where in Seattle was this? We were quoted twice as much as that for our dog in Tacoma.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Which vet in Tacoma? Iā€™m in the Seattle area as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.