Thread: Help Hiatal hernia Surgery Pricing $$$$$$$$$$

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None Yet
    Likes (Received)

Default Help Hiatal hernia Surgery Pricing $$$$$$$$$$

Hi I was wondering if you could possible provide me some assistance, my poor 1 year old English Bulldog Chubs needs surgery for sliding hiatal hernia. Iím devastated my 1st Bulldog has been suffering for months with regurgitation. Iím currently shopping for a surgeon but Iím wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation with their bully? I live in Seattle WA and the estimate I got was roughly $3800.00 which including possible soft pallet resection if needed. Luckily I have a great pet insurance company which will take care of 90% of bill. But out of curiosity I thought I would try and find out what typically Hiatal hernia surgery costs? To my surprise there are no online sources for pet surgery estimates! I tried calling my insurance company and they claim they donít have a database either. I find this shocking and concerning that individual in this day age canít compare rates for service locally or nationallyÖ

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help Hiatal hernia Surgery Pricing $$$$$$$$$$

I have NO idea how much that surgery would cost… plus you have to consider the area that you live in. I've tagged some members that live nearby, maybe you can find out where they take their bully and get an estimate from that clinic… Good Luck!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Costs vary greatly state to state, city to city and even county to county. It's tough. I don't know how much it would cost by me but I am willing to bet it is close to that amount as a bully spay near me is $750 and 200 miles up the road it is $250.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

strange as it is.... the cost do vary greatly as Todd and Tracey stated.... best thing to do is go to 2 differnt places with Bulldog experience and get estimates
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I know prices vary so much, all over the country-and I can't help you with that. Just want to say that the most important is that you find an EXPERIENCED English Bulldog Veterinarian. It makes a big difference for your Bulldog's life! I do wish you and your bullie well.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Canelo
    Likes (Received)

Have your vet clearly identify the procedure(s) he is estimating, if possible get it in writing this way you can shop vets because each surgeon is different using different items like meds, equipment, services like lab and X-ray, the number of techs/assistants, and medical supplies. Ask if the estimate includes everything like anesthesia, monitoring like an EKG, X-rays, labs, take home meds, overnight stays, etc for the procedure(s). Also ask vets if they have performed surgery on Bulldogs. My vet retired last year but he stopped performing surgery on brachycephalic dogs (dogs with pushed in noses like pugs, Bulldogs, Boston Terriers etc) in 2005 when he was 80 because he came close to loosing one while spading her. He actually pointed me to a vet here that is known as the bully vet because he has a lot of experience with these types of dogs.

Being able to give each vet a really good picture of what is needed will help with finding a vet that may be less. Don't be afraid to ask questions, when Canelo was fixed the vet asked me if I wanted an EKG because sometimes brachycephalic dogs have issues under anesthesia but if floored me that it was an option, to me it wasn't you do the EKG. I have been working hospital billing for years and while vets bill differently the items I mentioned are valid questions. Hospitals don't "bulk" or package bill for most things where vets do but they have to account for their costs so that's why you'll see a fluctuation in estimates based on the vet, location, equipment (new, state of the art equipment versus older but very functional equipment) etc. I hope that's not confusing or overwhelming, take your time, ask questions and know that the surgery will be worth it.

Also ask if the vet will allow a payment plan. When I looked into pet insurance I found most vets wanted payment up front and you can follow up with insurance after. See what your options are and ask away! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pfgray2008 View Post
    Hi I was wondering if you could possible provide me some assistance, my poor 1 year old English Bulldog Chubs needs surgery for sliding hiatal hernia. I’m devastated my 1st Bulldog has been suffering for months with regurgitation. I’m currently shopping for a surgeon but I’m wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation with their bully? I live in Seattle WA and the estimate I got was roughly $3800.00 which including possible soft pallet resection if needed. Luckily I have a great pet insurance company which will take care of 90% of bill. But out of curiosity I thought I would try and find out what typically Hiatal hernia surgery costs? To my surprise there are no online sources for pet surgery estimates! I tried calling my insurance company and they claim they don’t have a database either. I find this shocking and concerning that individual in this day age can’t compare rates for service locally or nationally…
    The quote sounds fine to me.
    I've had bills reach that amount (per dog) in one specific veterinary hospital here in NYC (Manhattan).

Only thing that would make me question it is: was the quote from a hospital/clinic that will also keep him overnight, and provide 24 hour care? Or, is it a regular vets office where you'd be bringing him
    home the same day? If it's the latter, I think it's too high regardless of the city. If it's a hospital, sounds on par with other cities.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

We had two surgeries done at once and it came to about 3800 with two overnight stays. Toronto emergency clinic but scheduled referrals since they were the best in town.

sent from my droid mini

Remove Ads