General Question Cold Laser Therapy for Chronic Ear Infections

hushhushgreb

Jan 13, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Has anyone had success with cold laser therapy ?

My Samson is almost 7 and has had allergies on an off his whole life(most of it has been manageable). However, last November, he started to get ear infections. In March, I had the vet flush his ear and suggested he may have allergies.

I switched his food to Fromms Beef Fritatta(thanks to this forum)

Since then, I’ve taken him to a dermatologist and Samson has been treated with a few rounds of Respit, a topical steroid for his ear, very low dose or oral steroid, and daily ear cleanings. After several months of doing this, his ear canal is practically closed.

The dermatologist said though his skin and coat look wonderful, he suggests the next step, which is a steroid injection direct into the ear under anesthesia.

Due to his age, anything with anesthesia makes me nervous. I found a place in my neighborhood that does cold laser therapy and I’m taking Samson in to see if he’d be a candidate.

I was curious if anyone had any success with the treatment or can offer advice on how you’ve successfully treated a closed ear canal.

Thank you !

Jennifer

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Have you ever heard of the otic pack? My boy fatso has chronic ear infections and would never let me apply the drops to his ears so last year we tried a new medication called the otic pack which is a medicated wax that is packed into the ear canal and medicates for 2 weeks and we do it twice and it has worked great..2 weeks ago his left ear canal was practically closed and he went in today for his second application and his ears look great..he still gets infections but the treatment works quick and no more steroids..we have used it 3 times this year and no problems

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Have you ever heard of the otic pack? My boy fatso has chronic ear infections and would never let me apply the drops to his ears so last year we tried a new medication called the otic pack which is a medicated wax that is packed into the ear canal and medicated for 2 weeks and we do it twice and it has worked great..2 weeks ago his left ear canal was practically closed and he went in today for his second application and his ears look great..he still get infections but the treatment works quick and no more steroids..we have used it 3 times this year and no problems

We did that w/our bully Bella and it worked wonders!!! I believe we would pack her ears about twice a year...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My Fr/eng. has had several ear infections,even though she has stand up ears. In fact she has lost alot of her hearing due to it. The last infection she had, the otic pack was used and something finally worked! That was about 8 mo. ago-so far, so good.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Have you ever heard of the otic pack? My boy fatso has chronic ear infections and would never let me apply the drops to his ears so last year we tried a new medication called the otic pack which is a medicated wax that is packed into the ear canal and medicated for 2 weeks and we do it twice and it has worked great..2 weeks ago his left ear canal was practically closed and he went in today for his second application and his ears look great..he still get infections but the treatment works quick and no more steroids..we have used it 3 times this year and no problems

I am actually going to do this with brutus. He also gets chronic ear infections and is horrible about doing his drops. Our vet suggested to wax. Im glad to hear so many success stories.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
no experience with this.... wish you the best of luck!

OP
H

hushhushgreb

Jan 13, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thank you for the suggestion. The two vets I'm seeing hadn't mentioned this, but the new vet that did the laser treatment had used the was before and will special order it for me. Its promising that others have had success!

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
@hushhushgreb it's definitely worth a try..the first time we used it my vet didn't carry it either and we had to order it from roadrunner pharmacy..which is who makes it..because I was tired of them giving fatso the oral steroids because they made him feel bad..but the vet tech had used it before and suggested it..they now carry it..fatso will be 7 this year and his ear infections are allergy related as well...his paws also get irritated and I have also switched to Fromm pork and peas this year which has given some relief..he still gets ear infections but at least the otic pack helps clear them quickly..I have read about the laser treatment though and it said it seems to help and the dogs seem to enjoy it but it's a long term commitment that you have to do multiple time a week and is expensive

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.