Help Needed! My puppy has a problem

Lara Penrod

Jan 12, 2015
Hi! I'm new here and I saw that a lot of people are posting about weird skin conditions their Bulldogs have. Well, my baby spartacus is a little over a year old, and we've had him about six months. He had devolped a strange lump on his ribs. We took him to a vet, but she had no idea what it was. She prescribed him some antibiotics and said if that didn't work we would need to have it cut off. I would really like to know what it is though. It's pretty large, and hard. He doesn't seem to care if you touch, or squeeze it. Also, it bleeds off and on. Has anyone seen this? I'm hoping its the result of a fixable allergy. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 82848View attachment 82847

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... Spartacus is a handsome fella!

I think this is a thing that will go away on it's own.... I have such a block on the name of these lumps, but Lisa will be able to help --- [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] is it one of those hyto - thingys?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It sort of looks like a hystiocytoma, but it's a bit glossy and wet looking.

Lara, do a quick google of hystiocytoma and see if it's the same as Spartacus's.

Did it appear pretty quickly? Or grew slowly over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good grief I just googled and many of the ones they show are pretty gory! Here is one similar to what we had. I was told to leave it and it would go away on it's own, which it did, but I did notice it really started getting better once I ignored the advice from my vet and out malacetic otic ultra on it a few times a week.

e9c683c401ce9d0188c2ed8057e9c23b.jpg

OP
L

Lara Penrod

Jan 12, 2015
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I googled it, and it looks pretty similar to that! It pretty much popped up overnight, but has gotten a little bigger. I will definetly bring that up to my vet when we go back in. He has about a week left of antibiotics, and then we are suppose to go in to schedule a surgery if it's not gone. Thank you so much!!

OP
L

Lara Penrod

Jan 12, 2015
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thank you :) he's super cute. Are those your babies in the picture? Because they are super adorable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama thank you :) he's super cute. Are those your babies in the picture? Because they are super adorable.

Yes, they are my babies... both have past, but i just can not bring myself to change the photo - too precious to me :D

This is my new baby --

003.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You shouldn't need it removed unless it's cancerous- a biopsy should tell that (I believe they are benign rumors), unless it is in a place that would get easily irritated, like an elbow joint it if it gets scratched. Also if it's stubborn and won't go away, or becomes oversized.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am sure you have gotten good advice from [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. I can not open the attachment to see it. Hope it heals on it's own!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Both of my Bostons mixes had hystiocytoma. It took about a month or two before it went away. I agreed that you should wait it out and keep an eye on it and just make sure it doesn't grow. If it grows then you should have it removed but otherwise leave it alone - it should go away on its own.

I'm sort of surprised your vet didn't know what it is...they are really common.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online