Thread: tramadol and panting

Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Default tramadol and panting

Hello my 2 year/9 month old male ebd had stenoic nare / palate / saccules surgery done on Thursday and he has been prescribed Tramadol 50mg along with Deramaxx 75.00 ( half a tab 1x a day). He has been doing great. Hungry ect but tonight I have noticed that he is panting like he is tired or just ran around and he is on my bed and has been for an hour and a half. I put a call into my vet and have been seriously thinking about taking him to an emergency clinic just to make sure he is ok but I am wondering if anyone's dog has been on tramadol before and if so did it make their dog pant? He seems to be getting plenty of air. I can hear that but it is like he has been running around. Before they gave him Hydrocodone for pain.. I am kind of worried. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: tramadol and panting

I would absolutely take him in. They need to check his palate and make sure there's no swelling. My two had the surgery a month ago, and neither one panted while on Tramadol (not sure what the side effects are though).

eta: I only kept mine on tramadol for a total of 2 days. It was so strong that it sedated them way too much and made me uncomfortable. So I cut the dosage the second day.

Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Blueberrysmom, They prescribed him 3- 50 mg tablets every 8-12 hours. I have only been giving him 2 but the vet called me back last night and said this can be a side effect of tramadol and to d/c it. His last dose was at 2 pm yesterday. I may bring him in for a recheck in a few hours. I do not think his palate is swollen. I was made aware by the vet that this could be something to worry about the night after the surgery but he is breathing fine it is just intense so I am flushing the tramadol and will make sure he doesn't take it again.. Thank you

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like pain .... I would take him to the vet for a check.... Tramadol, in my experience, never caused any panting like that

Please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Tramadol is heavy stuff and my Usko has had one years ago and never again. He was panting like grazy and looks like he was seeing things. I have had something similar once for pain and never again. I felt so sick that I rather take the pain...Maybe they can prescribe something else for him.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

My boxer is on tramadol, and I've never seen her pant… I'm not sure if it effects bulldogs differently though.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Bulldoginsfl Hope Buddy is doing better now? I hope you take him to a vet if he is still panting.

Vets seem to prescribe very different types of medicines after nares/soft palate surgery. Tramadol is an opiate, isn't it? Castor did get some opiate pain reliever after his surgery, but that stuff was only to be used at the hospital. They told us he would be ok without pain killers when we picked him up the day after his surgery. Now Castor didn't have problems with the saccules - could they be the reason Buddy got Tramadol?

Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buddy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everybody. Yes I googled tramadol and dogs and the vet as well said it can cause panting. I couldn't even sleep last night I was so worried. He is fine today. I did give him half of his Deramaxx 75mg but it was definitely the Tramadol. Tramadol is not a true opioid. I know when I had a lot of dental work done is 2004 they prescribed it for me because I do not take narcotics but even 2 of those made me feel spacey and I even itched like I was taking a narcotic analgesic but that's all I take for pain unless I am having a surgery ect. Evidently Tramadol does go up and binds to opiate receptors but not a true narcotic opioid. I have heard of people who become addicted to it but to me it made me feel sick to my stomach. Thanks everyone for the support

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoginsfl View Post
    Thanks everybody. Yes I googled tramadol and dogs and the vet as well said it can cause panting. I couldn't even sleep last night I was so worried. He is fine today. I did give him half of his Deramaxx 75mg but it was definitely the Tramadol. Tramadol is not a true opioid. I know when I had a lot of dental work done is 2004 they prescribed it for me because I do not take narcotics but even 2 of those made me feel spacey and I even itched like I was taking a narcotic analgesic but that's all I take for pain unless I am having a surgery ect. Evidently Tramadol does go up and binds to opiate receptors but not a true narcotic opioid. I have heard of people who become addicted to it but to me it made me feel sick to my stomach. Thanks everyone for the support
    so glad he is doing better.... big hugs to your boy!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads