Suebeeehoney

Sep 9, 2014
Munhall, Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Summer
Hello. I have a 6 month old puppy. She has a large vulva and the vet plans to reduce the size after she goes into heat one time. As a result, she had a lot of uti's early on and we have to wipe her every time after urination.
The other day I noticed hard red bumps on her vulva. She also keeps scooting on the carpet to 'scratch' herself as she can not reach. I tried diaper rash and Benadryl but nothing seems to be helping. I haven't changed her baby wipes or anything else for that matter. We have had our first snowfall and below 0 temperatures but I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything. The earliest I could get her to the vet with their hours would be Thursday so any help would be much appreciated!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm not familiar w/this, but I'm going to tag some members that may be able to help… sending prayers for your sweet girl, and keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My girl had this done at, I think between 16-18 months and she was spay at 7 months (never had a cycle)-- it is called a vulvaplasty, she constantly had UTI's and rashes, all stopped once this was completed and there were no complications or issues with her through the rest of her life, which was 9 wonderful years.

What is the reason for waiting on the heat cycle, did the vet say?

OP
S

Suebeeehoney

Sep 9, 2014
Munhall, Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Summer
The vet said that if she waited until she had one heat cycle, her vulva would mature and potentially fix itself or at the very least require less reduction.

I wanted to add a bit more detail about the bumps on her vulva. They appear to be scabby bumps and almost look like pimples without the head. And they are very hard. I keep googling and I just tried some antibiotic cream but if anyone has seen this before, your suggestions are very much appreciated!! image.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You might also just use a warm wash cloth in stead of the baby wipes to see if that helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The vet said that if she waited until she had one heat cycle, her vulva would mature and potentially fix itself or at the very least require less reduction.

I wanted to add a bit more detail about the bumps on her vulva. They appear to be scabby bumps and almost look like pimples without the head. And they are very hard. I keep googling and I just tried some antibiotic cream but if anyone has seen this before, your suggestions are very much appreciated!! View attachment 82819

She is a beauty... what a face! Not sure on the bumps... it sounds familiar, but i can't think of how/why I know it -- banks did not have anything like that

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor girl, maybe it's rug burn from trying to itch it by rubbing on the carpet? Or maybe that's how it started, and now she's got an infection in her vulva skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColinAbraham

Dec 13, 2014
Country
en_GB
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Di
Hi my baby girl is the same with the rash and one day without cleaning her and she breaks out In the rash and bleeds...

I now wash her everyday with pampers baby wipes around the vulva and then make sure it's dry before applying sudocrem which is used for babies with nappy rash, it's an antiseptic cream, but also water resistant which protects her when she goes to the toilet and just after 3 days she is all better and her we skin is all cleared up...

7d616599765ec1f2d5338c005353d810.jpg

I hope this is of help, please let me know if you do try it x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.