OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
Oh my gosh thank you so much for the pictures and info!! He had his surgery today(well Monday since it is past midnight here). They said the surgery went great and that his tail pocket was a lot deeper than they expected and they could definitely see why he was always in such pain! He just turned 2 a month ago so I definitely believe I procrastinated a while before making the decision to get him the help he needed; Surgery. They are keeping him over night to monitor the surgery site to make sure it stays in good standing before sending him home. I should be picking him up tomorrow. Thank you so much for your advice! I will be sending you a private message if you don't mind!!

Make sure they give you Rimadyl AND tramadol for the pain. Or something better. They only gave Vegas Rimadyl and he cried for a day until I could get him the tramadol script. Vegas was only 7 or 8 months old when we did it. The best thing for him. He had a tiny little nub and it was tight and very deep. He was constantly trying to bite his bottom because of the infection in the pocket.

Advice: There will be a lot of seeping in the days after the surgery. Get a collection of old sheets and blankets to cover your carpet, couches and any other hard to clean surface.

Night before View attachment 82852
Day of View attachment 82853
5 days post surgery View attachment 82854
16 days post op View attachment 82855
32 days post op View attachment 82856
50 days post op View attachment 82857
18 weeks View attachment 82858

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm so glad he did well! Leaving him there is probably a good thing.....the first 24 hours were horrible for me as a mom. Day 3 and 4 gets better....but remember to cover all your couches with sheets and blankets....his little bottom will be seeping for a few days.

Now the recovery! It took so long for all the hair on his bottom to grow back....but as you can see 18 weeks after the surgery all was back to normal. I have never regretted doing the surgery....he is much happier without the itchy bottom. It's so sad that so many little ones have to deal with infected tail pockets. Too bad there isn't an easier way to make it all better!

Now you will be a go to person for people wondering and seeking advice about the surgery. Take photos and document his days so the next time we need someone with expertise on the subject....we have another person we can tag!

Thanks for the message. Keep us updated on how he's doing!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my gosh thank you so much for the pictures and info!! He had his surgery today(well Monday since it is past midnight here). They said the surgery went great and that his tail pocket was a lot deeper than they expected and they could definitely see why he was always in such pain! He just turned 2 a month ago so I definitely believe I procrastinated a while before making the decision to get him the help he needed; Surgery. They are keeping him over night to monitor the surgery site to make sure it stays in good standing before sending him home. I should be picking him up tomorrow. Thank you so much for your advice! I will be sending you a private message if you don't mind!!

So glad it all went well... keep us posted and give him big hugs from all of us

OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
UPDATE. They are keeping him another night. They kept the wound open so they could laser the wound to heal it from the inside out because of how deep his pocket was. He is doing great other than that! Tomorrow I will know more if they decide to keep him another day. Prayers for a fast recovery! I just want him back!

So glad it all went well... keep us posted and give him big hugs from all of us

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm glad and relieved to hear that Rolo's surgery went well. I will be praying for his speedy recovery and that he'll be home w/you before you know it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.