MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
My Bulldog will be getting his "tail" removed due to chronic tail pocket infections. After 2 years a vet finally takes the time to Xray his tail area and we found out the little nub of a tail he does have is actually just skin. He has no tail bone near his "skin where a tail should be" so they said the surgery will be very quick and simple. He has a horrible infection right now as we wait for his surgery. It is bleeding and smells horrible. I have been using the Malaket wipes the vet gave and gold bond powder but it does not help. He was on antibiotics a whole month and it did not help at all so the vet pretty much said do what I can until surgery. Anyone have tips on how to soothe his tail pocket until then? And also any stories on recovery etc for tail pocket surgery?! Thank you so much!:(

Attachments

• 1613934_1383674961893155_1294314706_n.jpg
    1613934_1383674961893155_1294314706_n.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 190

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... so sorry he is going though such a rough time. I will tag a few members that had the tail amputation done with their babies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Luckily there will be no bone to remove so it should be a much easier surgery for him. I use panalog or animax or entederm ointment if the pocket gets yucky and that really works so well- but it is a script from the vet.

OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
Yes I have the entederm ointment!! It just is horrible. Like the bleeding is constant too not a ton but enough to slowly drip out if his pocket. I am glad he wont have a tail bone to worry about during the surgery but I still HATE he has to go through this. He has no other issues besides this tail pocket! But I have heard stories where it is the best thing they did for their bulldog is removing the problematic tail and it makes the bulldog so much more happy!

OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
photo.jpgI just would like to stop the bleeding till Monday and so far nothing I do works

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No hands on experience to help out, just wanted to send hugs of sympathy,
support and encouragement, it is the right thing to be doing for Rolo (so
handsome) and hopeful, all good afterwards!

Prayers for Rolo & you for quick, successful surgery & great recovery too.
GOD be with y'all and for y'all, today & everyday! Welcome here :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 82794I just would like to stop the bleeding till Monday and so far nothing I do works

Poor baby! Maybe some hydrogen peroxide will help since it's an open sore/wound (must be raw or open if it's bleeding). I was told that's the only time peroxide really works is if it's an open wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi Mackenzie, when will Rolo be getting the surgery? the vet will wait til this current infection is all cleared up, right? That sure looks painful. Not sure what else you can do besides the already suggested actions. When Rolo was on antibiotics was he also on prednisone or another steroid? that really helped clear up Finn's tail pocket infections last year before he had the surgery.

Post-surgery, it may take up to a week (or less) for full recovery. The vet won't want him to be running around or too active for at least 72 hours after the tail amputation. Finn had his done last January d/t chronic infections like your boy. Good luck and keep us updated.

OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
I find out tomorrow the exact day. That is the thing... We did a month of antibiotics, steroids and cream and it only got worse it did not help at all. They think since he has had so many infections he is immune to the medicine now because it DID help the pain but it did not clear up the infection. He has LITERALLY had this infection since August. I have been to three different vets and now that I am finally back in my home state I went to the vet we have usually used. They did the xray and saw no tail bone so decided surgery was the next route. We have tried EVERYTHING the past 1-1/2 years from vet medication, home remedies but nothing works. I do not think the vet is going to wait for the infection to go away. He honestly will probably treat it AFTER. Rolo gets no "air" in his pocket it is so tight so removing it honestly will be what clears up this infection!!

Hi Mackenzie, when will Rolo be getting the surgery? the vet will wait til this current infection is all cleared up, right? That sure looks painful. Not sure what else you can do besides the already suggested actions. When Rolo was on antibiotics was he also on prednisone or another steroid? that really helped clear up Finn's tail pocket infections last year before he had the surgery.

Post-surgery, it may take up to a week (or less) for full recovery. The vet won't want him to be running around or too active for at least 72 hours after the tail amputation. Finn had his done last January d/t chronic infections like your boy. Good luck and keep us updated.

OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
UPDATE: Rolo's surgery is Monday the 19th! Prayers are appreciated!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like Monday the 19th can't come soon enough, sending prayers!

OP
MClark

MClark

Jan 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rolo
Not at all!! I am ready for him to be pain free!! I am sad though because the vet wants to keep him a few days after surgery. I have no idea what I will do all those days without him! I swear we are together pretty much all day every day!! But a sacrifice for his health!!

Sounds like Monday the 19th can't come soon enough, sending prayers!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Not at all!! I am ready for him to be pain free!! I am sad though because the vet wants to keep him a few days after surgery. I have no idea what I will do all those days without him! I swear we are together pretty much all day every day!! But a sacrifice for his health!!

Make sure they give you Rimadyl AND tramadol for the pain. Or something better. They only gave Vegas Rimadyl and he cried for a day until I could get him the tramadol script. Vegas was only 7 or 8 months old when we did it. The best thing for him. He had a tiny little nub and it was tight and very deep. He was constantly trying to bite his bottom because of the infection in the pocket.

Advice: There will be a lot of seeping in the days after the surgery. Get a collection of old sheets and blankets to cover your carpet, couches and any other hard to clean surface.

Night before full (5).jpg
Day of full (9).jpg
5 days post surgery 5 days after surgery.jpg
16 days post op 16 days.jpg
32 days post op 32 after surgery.jpg
50 days post op 50 days after surgery.jpg
18 weeks 18 weeks after surgery.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.