Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
This isn't a question or anything but I thought I would share that I just brought my 2 year / 9 month old male bulldog home from having stenoic nare / palate/ and Sacules done. I think that word ( sacules) may be wrong but anyways he is asleep on my bed. The surgeon said he did really good and that I did it when he was young so his outcome is good. He went on to say some people wait until they are older and that can, at times, present problems.. I am so surprised they didn't keep him for the night but they said no one would be there so it was better if he went home with me. The only potential problem at this point is swelling evidently so I will probably be up all night listening to him. I asked one of the vets that I wished they would have been able to kept him for the night to monitor him and they did offer to have him transported to an emergency vet close by where he would be monitored but she said she thinks he will be fine so I am here with him. I asked her how would I know if the palate area swelled and she said I would notice him get restless and or pant more that usual. They did give him 2 dose's of steroid shots to keep the swelling down and I have pills he is to start on tomorrow. He can drink water but no food and starting tomorrow she wants me to roll some canned dog food into balls the size of a marbles, keep them in the refrigerator and give him one in the morning then one more in the afternoon. She said he may cough some which is to be expected. Anyways I just thought I would share this with you guys. I won't be able to relax until I know he is going to be alright ! Thanks everyone

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Get a pot of coffee going.... been there done that, no sleep to make sure your awake and alert if your baby needs you.

sending lots of hugs and prayers that you have a good night and Buddy has a quick recovery. keep us posted

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yup we did it month ago with 2 dogs. One had the palate/nare/saccules/neuter. The other had nares/neuter (he had the palate done a year ago). Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said - get a pot of coffee and stay alert to any changes with Buddy.
Hopefully it will be a peaceful night.

Are you sure it was a steroid shot and not a shot of Benadryl? Steroids suppress the immune system so it wouldn't make sense to give it for this type of surgery.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Wishing him the best recovery!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Hoping everything goes smoothly!!! I know you won't sleep much, hopefully things will be peaceful

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
wow. Good Luck. I'm sure the fruits will follow eventually. Going through the same thoughts of having the same surgery for my dog. Kindly post periodic updates.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks for the support everyone and believe it or not, Buddy slept through the night and I ( with the help of some benadryl ) did as well. I carried him out to the couch where he usually sleeps for another hour or so until I take him out. Blueberry's mom.>I am pretty sure that is what she said. She said they load them up with steroids to keep the swelling down. She called me ( vet) later and she said he does not need an anti inflammatory until tonight because one of the injections of steriod ( I think its steroid) is a 24 hour acting one. I do have to go out in a few to get some canned dog food. I have no canned dog food around here, Again Thxz everyone for all the support!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Glad to hear he slept through the night. The worst of it should be over now (fingers crossed).

For food, you can always just water down his kibble, wait about 20-30 minutes for it to get very mushy then feed it to him in small portions. If you're going to use a different canned food than what he's on, the water method would be better. You don't want to upset his belly with a new food while he's healing.

The steroid bit is really surprising to hear. My two didn't have any steroids prior or post surgery, and my vet wouldn't even give Blue a low dosage of prednisone 2 weeks before the surgery. He needed it too because he was itching so bad.
I guess every vet does it differently.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
For food, you can always just water down his kibble, wait about 20-30 minutes for it to get very mushy then feed it to him in small portions. If you're going to use a different canned food than what he's on, the water method would be better. You don't want to upset his belly with a new food while he's healing.

^^agreed! When my two had this done.... we just did bland diet for about 5 days and back to kibble

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hope Buddy is doing well today!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This isn't a question or anything but I thought I would share that I just brought my 2 year / 9 month old male bulldog home from having stenoic nare / palate/ and Sacules done. I think that word ( sacules) may be wrong but anyways he is asleep on my bed. The surgeon said he did really good and that I did it when he was young so his outcome is good. He went on to say some people wait until they are older and that can, at times, present problems.. I am so surprised they didn't keep him for the night but they said no one would be there so it was better if he went home with me. The only potential problem at this point is swelling evidently so I will probably be up all night listening to him. I asked one of the vets that I wished they would have been able to kept him for the night to monitor him and they did offer to have him transported to an emergency vet close by where he would be monitored but she said she thinks he will be fine so I am here with him. I asked her how would I know if the palate area swelled and she said I would notice him get restless and or pant more that usual. They did give him 2 dose's of steroid shots to keep the swelling down and I have pills he is to start on tomorrow. He can drink water but no food and starting tomorrow she wants me to roll some canned dog food into balls the size of a marbles, keep them in the refrigerator and give him one in the morning then one more in the afternoon. She said he may cough some which is to be expected. Anyways I just thought I would share this with you guys. I won't be able to relax until I know he is going to be alright ! Thanks everyone

Just saw your post, I just went through similar experience with my Tyson. He had exploratory surgery to remove a sock from his belly this past Monday. Trust me when I say I know the feeling. Like Blue's mom said, his "critical" time has passed, so now its just watching over him & making sure he heals up quick! Just keep an eye on him, and make sure nothing looks unusual. I myself had not slept in days, and was awake nearly 48 hrs straight after his surgery - slowly but surely he'll get better & be back to himself in no time! I know that this site, and these wonderful members helped keep me sane, and seriously were such wonderful support, so if you have any questions at all, you know we are all here. Prayers for Buddy, smooth, quick healing. :pray:

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks again. He is still sleeping. we went out earlier this morning and he pee'd but no poop. He didn't eat anything after midnight the night before his surgery. I did go out and get a few little plastic tins of this Ceaser from Walgreen's and I made up a few marble sized balls and they're in the frige. He managed to eat one as directed this morning and I put 2 of his tramadol inside for pain. I am supposed to be giving him 3 but he was already groggy and kind of out of it so I used my discretion. Hopefully the worst is over. I know he has stitch's in his little nose but you cannot see them because they're black. The stitch's in his palate are self dissolving so I don't have to worry about those. Thanks everyone for being supportive.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks again. He is still sleeping. we went out earlier this morning and he pee'd but no poop. He didn't eat anything after midnight the night before his surgery. I did go out and get a few little plastic tins of this Ceaser from Walgreen's and I made up a few marble sized balls and they're in the frige. He managed to eat one as directed this morning and I put 2 of his tramadol inside for pain. I am supposed to be giving him 3 but he was already groggy and kind of out of it so I used my discretion. Hopefully the worst is over. I know he has stitch's in his little nose but you cannot see them because they're black. The stitch's in his palate are self dissolving so I don't have to worry about those. Thanks everyone for being supportive.

another great hiding tool for pills is vanilla ice cream... just enough to cover the pill(s) since it is cold they just swallow -- I had success with it for 9 yrs!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just saw this - good to hear Buddy slept well! My Castor went through the soft palate and nares surgery in November. He stayed over at the hospital but after that didn't get any pain killers, just meds for acid reflux. He threw up a lot after a day or so at home (and couldn't keep the medicine down), so we put him a bland diet of boiled rice and chicken for a week.

Wishing Buddy a speedy recovery!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.