Just dropped off Tyson

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Poor baby, your hubs over exercised the little guy.. bad hubby, bad, bad hubby..lol.

You need to give him at least a few weeks, if not a month or two to get back to his old self. It's gonna take awhile so try to relax.. (i know, easier said than done)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] how long did it take Yuna (wait was it Molly?) to get back to normal after the surgery?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor baby, your hubs over exercised the little guy.. bad hubby, bad, bad hubby..lol.

You need to give him at least a few weeks, if not a month or two to get back to his old self. It's gonna take awhile so try to relax.. (i know, easier said than done)
@2BullyMama how long did it take Yuna (wait was it Molly?) to get back to normal after the surgery?

[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It was over a week for sure, but can't remember exactly how long. It did seem like a long time though. I'm guessing 2 weeks

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thanks. Your names confuse me at times!!! lol
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] was meant for you.. but you already got that..lol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Back from vet. They checked temp, lungs, breathing & incision. They said all looks good. She said it could be the weather change - we are in TX and it dropped to the 20s here this week which is low for us. Also she said the walk could have over exerted his energy. She said no walks or super short/slow ones for the next week. It wasn't a full exam like I had thought but she said that all looked ok & she saw no concerns that worried her. She said first sign of problem would be temperature, breathing or really obvious pain. Hoping he just needs to rest, I want my baby back already - I'm impatient. Let's see how the rest of the weekend goes.

Any news on Tyson? Hope he's back to his old self again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Thanks for the check in ... his recovery has been slow, but its coming along. We are starting to slowly see his old self back, and that makes my heart so happy. He wasn't drinking water for a while on his own (we had to flavor it) but after he started full kibble again, he started drinking a bit on his own. He's on the Fromms Lamb/Lentil... I switched him from Pork/Peas bc it gave him tear stains, but now I'm noticing his face is getting red (in folds) and he scratching along with licking paws. (regardless of us cleaning every day) This boy will never give his mama a break. I may try Beef Frittata next to see how he does on that, but he shows symptoms rather quickly, like within a few days. Bc the whole time he was on bland while recovering he was fine.... go figure. Here's my little heartbreaker last night... def looking more alert :)
Ty 1.18.15.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He looks great!

His immune system is probably a bit low right now due to the stress of the surgery. Bland diet can help with those symptoms indeed, as it's only 2 ingredients. Too bad it's not a good long term diet, but if you fix it up with added veggies and protein it can be, along with a supplement. Have you ever considered doing home cooked food for him?

Yes they drink less water on bland diet because they get a lot of water from the food. So him drinking more on kibble makes sense.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He looks great!

His immune system is probably a bit low right now due to the stress of the surgery. Bland diet can help with those symptoms indeed, as it's only 2 ingredients. Too bad it's not a good long term diet, but if you fix it up with added veggies and protein it can be, along with a supplement. Have you ever considered doing home cooked food for him?

Yes they drink less water on bland diet because they get a lot of water from the food. So him drinking more on kibble makes sense.

Yes! I've thought about it alot, but I'd have no idea where to start :( I'm trying to locate a protein he does well on. So far pork and lamb I guess are out. He was on salmon prior to switching to Fromms, so idk. All his issues really started after he was neutered due to his prostate issues. It could also be environmental. I just want to find something to keep him semi-comfortable. The bland chicken & rice seemed to be fine... so I wonder if I should try the Game Bird instead. Trial & testing I guess. He also needs a good bath, he doesn't stink, but I know it helps with the allergins - I just needed to research when I can do that since his belly incision is still healing.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
For my home cooked I use a 5lb chub of hamburger, about a cup of cooked dried beans (red kidney is a good one), a little rice, quinoa, potatoes (preferably sweet pot) or pasta. Maybe about a half cup. Then I steam the veggies on top once it's done cooking. I will also add any veggies from the crisper that i need to use up like tomatoes or bell peppers. I like the Normandy mix from Costco for the veggies part and always add plenty, about 2 cups at least. They also get a nuvet supplement to make sure they are meeting all their vitamin and mineral needs.

You can use chicken instead of hamburger since he does well on it . I've found fresh chicken seems to do much better than chicken in kibble. Probably for obvious reasons, it's fresh! Chicken in kibble though doesn't always do well though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes! I've thought about it alot, but I'd have no idea where to start :( I'm trying to locate a protein he does well on. So far pork and lamb I guess are out. He was on salmon prior to switching to Fromms, so idk. All his issues really started after he was neutered due to his prostate issues. It could also be environmental. I just want to find something to keep him semi-comfortable. The bland chicken & rice seemed to be fine... so I wonder if I should try the Game Bird instead. Trial & testing I guess. He also needs a good bath, he doesn't stink, but I know it helps with the allergins - I just needed to research when I can do that since his belly incision is still healing.

So glad he is coming along... he does look good! I would suggest the Game Bird ... if not try Honest Kitchen!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
For my home cooked I use a 5lb chub of hamburger, about a cup of cooked dried beans (red kidney is a good one), a little rice, quinoa, potatoes (preferably sweet pot) or pasta. Maybe about a half cup. Then I steam the veggies on top once it's done cooking. I will also add any veggies from the crisper that i need to use up like tomatoes or bell peppers. I like the Normandy mix from Costco for the veggies part and always add plenty, about 2 cups at least. They also get a nuvet supplement to make sure they are meeting all their vitamin and mineral needs.

You can use chicken instead of hamburger since he does well on it . I've found fresh chicken seems to do much better than chicken in kibble. Probably for obvious reasons, it's fresh! Chicken in kibble though doesn't always do well though.

Thank you !!! I will definitely give this a try. Do you do large batches to last the week? I've been doing that with green beans, to supp'l the kibble. And he's on his Nuvet & Nujoint now!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So glad he is coming along... he does look good! I would suggest the Game Bird ... if not try Honest Kitchen!

Thank you!! Yes, he's looking more like his old self, just taking a while. I assume because of his age, plus its been oddly cold in TX this year, which I'm not complaining about (I'm a born/raised NY girl) and dreading the summer heat. I may buy a small bag of the game bird to try, if that still doesn't do well, I have bullmama's home cooked recipe.... so I can try that too! I'm just glad that I don't have to do the transition with Fromms.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ty looks very alert in the photo. So relieved to hear that he is recovering more every day. Mama needs a rest!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you !!! I will definitely give this a try. Do you do large batches to last the week? I've been doing that with green beans, to supp'l the kibble. And he's on his Nuvet & Nujoint now!

Up to 3 days in the fridge, you can also freeze portions if you make big batches. :up:

You can also feed one meal of home cooked, on of the game bird too. I like mix it up to keep things interesting :D

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online