TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Checking in, how was your night?
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

Morning, night was good, but looooong. My eyes were on him each inch he moved. He did well! He slept most of it besides this strange hour around 1am-2am where he just sat there dozing off, looking drunk & being his standard stubborn bully self trying to fight the meds. He was very clingy & wanted one of us by him at all times. So we took turns on the floor next to him.
He's been licking his lips a lot then will burp, that freaked me out the first few times,but I have a call into the vet to see if I can give him Pepcid or not with his other meds (tramodol & antibiotic) I feel like our first big hurdle is down! We passed the dreaded 15hr mark! I swear being home is so good for him. I can tell. Thanks for the follow up this morning, hopeful to get a few zzzz's tonight for myself. I will continue to keep you all posted! I gave his stinky butt all your hugs & kisses, he thanks you for them all !

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great news, now YOU need to get some rest! :babysleep:

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Great news, now YOU need to get some rest! :babysleep:

Yes! I sure hope to get some tonight!!! I don't remember if it was you or @2BullyMama - but I recall one of you had the donut thing that nothing would catch it, X-rays, etc. I forgot to tell you guys that the sock was partially adhered to his stomach already, just like that donut thing!!. The doc said she literally had to carefully peel it off. There was no shot that he would have vomited that last one. I am still in utter shock that he swallowed not one, but three socks! I feel guilty for leaving them within his reach but this boy prior to this has never eaten anything. So this was a huge learning experience I want everyone to know. It's just way to risky, regardless of what they may or may not do, don't leave anything out they can swallow.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great update! I knew the baby would be ok. Now, we need to have a conversation with Mr. Tyson about eating socks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Manydogs @2BullyMama @Blueberrys Mom @brutus77

Morning, night was good, but looooong. My eyes were on him each inch he moved. He did well! He slept most of it besides this strange hour around 1am-2am where he just sat there dozing off, looking drunk & being his standard stubborn bully self trying to fight the meds. He was very clingy & wanted one of us by him at all times. So we took turns on the floor next to him.
He's been licking his lips a lot then will burp, that freaked me out the first few times,but I have a call into the vet to see if I can give him Pepcid or not with his other meds (tramodol & antibiotic) I feel like our first big hurdle is down! We passed the dreaded 15hr mark! I swear being home is so good for him. I can tell. Thanks for the follow up this morning, hopeful to get a few zzzz's tonight for myself. I will continue to keep you all posted! I gave his stinky butt all your hugs & kisses, he thanks you for them all !

SO HAPPY to hear the night was good -- now make sure you nap with him today and catch up on some much needed sleep -- excellent bully momma!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes! I sure hope to get some tonight!!! I don't remember if it was you or @2BullyMama @Blueberrys Mom - but I recall one of you had the donut thing issue that nothing would catch it, X-rays, etc. I forgot to tell you guys that the sock was partially adhered to his stomach already. The doc said she literally had to carefully peel it off. There was no shot that he would have vomited that last one. I am still in utter shock that he swallowed not one, but three socks! I feel guilty for leaving them within his reach but this boy prior to this has never eaten anything. So this was a huge learning experience I want everyone to know. It's just way to risky, regardless of what they may or may not do, don't leave anything out they can swallow.

the donut was Lisa (bullmama)

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
SO HAPPY to hear the night was good -- now make sure you nap with him today and catch up on some much needed sleep -- excellent bully momma!

That means so much to me, thank you. I try my ultimate best to be as good to him as he's been to me. Thank you!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So glad to hear the night went well. You can finally breath a sigh of relief. Oh, and keep the socks away!!!

I need to ask though- is there any reason why she didn't give him any meds. to settle his tummy. I know with bullies, they're usually very nervous about them vomiting after surgery.
so they give omeprezole (pepcid) along with other meds. to keep the stomach calm. I know they did with Blue and Wellie and I've read about other bullies getting meds. too.

I'm wondering why your vet didn't give you anything. Then again, maybe the meds. would upset the belly more? hmm..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad to hear the night went well. You can finally breath a sigh of relief. Oh, and keep the socks away!!!

I need to ask though- is there any reason why she didn't give him any meds. to settle his tummy. I know with bullies, they're usually very nervous about them vomiting after surgery.
so they give omeprezole (pepcid) along with other meds. to keep the stomach calm. I know they did with Blue and Wellie and I've read about other bullies getting meds. too.

I'm wondering why your vet didn't give you anything. Then again, maybe the meds. would upset the belly more? hmm..

I don't remember being given anything except antibiotics, our biggest issue post op was she had fire poop. Because of all the laxatives and such she was given before hand, vets thinking she was just constipated after all tests came back neg. Her bum literally had black sticky diarrhea for days after that caused major diaper rash. It was even leaking out, she couldn't hold it. I was so scared she lost bowel control. Sorry for the gory details! I had her in the tub washing it off several times a day, it was so swollen. Gold bond really helped along with constant washings. I don't know of any other member who had that kind of experience post op, but it was one if my worst experiences ever. She was in a lot of pain, not from the surgery,----but from the fire poop. Even bland diet, pumpkin, ect. Didn't help at all, it had to run it's coarse. I think it took about a week of butt washings before it became solid again. The laxatives she was given worked, but only on the tummy area since the blockage was right beyond her stomach. I was there during the surgery and you could see the black mush beyond the blockage when he took it out. Didn't think anything of it at the time... Not until it started coming out the other end.... :(

Thank God you got the surgery, the sock was probably in there awhile to have gotten stuck like that. Yep the donut thing was us.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't remember being given anything except antibiotics, our biggest issue post op was she had fire poop. Because of all the laxatives and such she was given before hand, vets thinking she was just constipated after all tests came back neg. Her bum literally had black sticky diarrhea for days after that caused major diaper rash. It was even leaking out, she couldn't hold it. I was so scared she lost bowel control. Sorry for the gory details! I had her in the tub washing it off several times a day, it was so swollen. Gold bond really helped along with constant washings. I don't know of any other member who had that kind of experience post op, but it was one if my worst experiences ever. She was in a lot of pain, not from the surgery,----but from the fire poop. Even bland diet, pumpkin, ect. Didn't help at all, it had to run it's coarse. I think it took about a week of butt washings before it became solid again. The laxatives she was given worked, but only on the tummy area since the blockage was right beyond her stomach. I was there during the surgery and you could see the black mush beyond the blockage when he took it out. Didn't think anything of it at the time... Not until it started coming out the other end.... :(

Thank God you got the surgery, the sock was probably in there awhile to have gotten stuck like that. Yep the donut thing was us.

Oh man, poor girl.

We had a similar experience.

Wellie had liquid diarrhea post-op. I threw away 3 rugs because we couldn't get him out in time (remember I live on the 17th floor?) and spent hour scrubbing the floor to get it out. Very hard since it was liquid.

The diarrhea lasted a few days then turned into bloody diarrhea. We took him back to the hospital and the vet said it was stress induced colitis and put him on meds for 5 days. It finally cleared up and he's been back to normal for about 2-3 weeks now.

But the first and second week Chris and I were taking turns staying up all night and taking him out every hour, it was horrible. He also got diaper rash so I have two different version of Desitin now.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh man, poor girl.

We had a similar experience.

Wellie had liquid diarrhea post-op. I threw away 3 rugs because we couldn't get him out in time (remember I live on the 17th floor?) and spent hour scrubbing the floor to get it out. Very hard since it was liquid.

The diarrhea lasted a few days then turned into bloody diarrhea. We took him back to the hospital and the vet said it was stress induced colitis and put him on meds for 5 days. It finally cleared up and he's been back to normal for about 2-3 weeks now.

But the first and second week Chris and I were taking turns staying up all night and taking him out every hour, it was horrible. He also got diaper rash so I have two different version of Desitin now.

We were only given the antibiotic & pain meds. This morning after speaking to the doc, she said to go ahead and give him the Pepcid twice daily so his stomach acids could settle. Esp since she has to peel the sock off :( I gave him his first bland meal at 11:30 - very small just to make sure he handles it well. I'll do small every few hours today. Since he hasn't eaten in a day - no poop or diarrhea - just lots of pee from all the hydration. He's hungry but I don't want to over do it.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We were only given the antibiotic & pain meds. This morning after speaking to the doc, she said to go ahead and give him the Pepcid twice daily so his stomach acids could settle. Esp since she has to peel the sock off :( I gave him his first bland meal at 11:30 - very small just to make sure he handles it well. I'll do small every few hours today. Since he hasn't eaten in a day - no poop or diarrhea - just lots of pee from all the hydration. He's hungry but I don't want to over do it.

good plan... ease him back into everything

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Glad he did well over night. Hope you get some rest very soon. How awful that the sock had already adhered to his tummy! Ouch!! No wonder he wasn't feeling good!!

Hopefully you are over the scary stuff and snuggles and rest will have your boy back to 100% in no time! *hugs* for you!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am so glad to hear that Tyson is on the mend and is back at home with you! What a scary event! Sending positive thoughts that he recovers quickly and is back to his normal self soon!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.