USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just dropped off Tyson

He looks great!

His immune system is probably a bit low right now due to the stress of the surgery. Bland diet can help with those symptoms indeed, as it's only 2 ingredients. Too bad it's not a good long term diet, but if you fix it up with added veggies and protein it can be, along with a supplement. Have you ever considered doing home cooked food for him?

Yes they drink less water on bland diet because they get a lot of water from the food. So him drinking more on kibble makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    He looks great!

His immune system is probably a bit low right now due to the stress of the surgery. Bland diet can help with those symptoms indeed, as it's only 2 ingredients. Too bad it's not a good long term diet, but if you fix it up with added veggies and protein it can be, along with a supplement. Have you ever considered doing home cooked food for him?

Yes they drink less water on bland diet because they get a lot of water from the food. So him drinking more on kibble makes sense.

Yes! I've thought about it alot, but I'd have no idea where to start I'm trying to locate a protein he does well on. So far pork and lamb I guess are out. He was on salmon prior to switching to Fromms, so idk. All his issues really started after he was neutered due to his prostate issues. It could also be environmental. I just want to find something to keep him semi-comfortable. The bland chicken & rice seemed to be fine... so I wonder if I should try the Game Bird instead. Trial & testing I guess. He also needs a good bath, he doesn't stink, but I know it helps with the allergins - I just needed to research when I can do that since his belly incision is still healing.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

For my home cooked I use a 5lb chub of hamburger, about a cup of cooked dried beans (red kidney is a good one), a little rice, quinoa, potatoes (preferably sweet pot) or pasta. Maybe about a half cup. Then I steam the veggies on top once it's done cooking. I will also add any veggies from the crisper that i need to use up like tomatoes or bell peppers. I like the Normandy mix from Costco for the veggies part and always add plenty, about 2 cups at least. They also get a nuvet supplement to make sure they are meeting all their vitamin and mineral needs.

You can use chicken instead of hamburger since he does well on it . I've found fresh chicken seems to do much better than chicken in kibble. Probably for obvious reasons, it's fresh! Chicken in kibble though doesn't always do well though.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Yes! I've thought about it alot, but I'd have no idea where to start I'm trying to locate a protein he does well on. So far pork and lamb I guess are out. He was on salmon prior to switching to Fromms, so idk. All his issues really started after he was neutered due to his prostate issues. It could also be environmental. I just want to find something to keep him semi-comfortable. The bland chicken & rice seemed to be fine... so I wonder if I should try the Game Bird instead. Trial & testing I guess. He also needs a good bath, he doesn't stink, but I know it helps with the allergins - I just needed to research when I can do that since his belly incision is still healing.
    So glad he is coming along... he does look good! I would suggest the Game Bird ... if not try Honest Kitchen!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    For my home cooked I use a 5lb chub of hamburger, about a cup of cooked dried beans (red kidney is a good one), a little rice, quinoa, potatoes (preferably sweet pot) or pasta. Maybe about a half cup. Then I steam the veggies on top once it's done cooking. I will also add any veggies from the crisper that i need to use up like tomatoes or bell peppers. I like the Normandy mix from Costco for the veggies part and always add plenty, about 2 cups at least. They also get a nuvet supplement to make sure they are meeting all their vitamin and mineral needs.

You can use chicken instead of hamburger since he does well on it . I've found fresh chicken seems to do much better than chicken in kibble. Probably for obvious reasons, it's fresh! Chicken in kibble though doesn't always do well though.

Thank you !!! I will definitely give this a try. Do you do large batches to last the week? I've been doing that with green beans, to supp'l the kibble. And he's on his Nuvet & Nujoint now!

My whole heart, Tyson.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    So glad he is coming along... he does look good! I would suggest the Game Bird ... if not try Honest Kitchen!

Thank you!! Yes, he's looking more like his old self, just taking a while. I assume because of his age, plus its been oddly cold in TX this year, which I'm not complaining about (I'm a born/raised NY girl) and dreading the summer heat. I may buy a small bag of the game bird to try, if that still doesn't do well, I have bullmama's home cooked recipe.... so I can try that too! I'm just glad that I don't have to do the transition with Fromms.

My whole heart, Tyson.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Ty looks very alert in the photo. So relieved to hear that he is recovering more every day. Mama needs a rest!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Thank you !!! I will definitely give this a try. Do you do large batches to last the week? I've been doing that with green beans, to supp'l the kibble. And he's on his Nuvet & Nujoint now!
    Up to 3 days in the fridge, you can also freeze portions if you make big batches.

You can also feed one meal of home cooked, on of the game bird too. I like mix it up to keep things interesting

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Remove Ads