Coconut oil

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Just wondering if anyone has used coconut oil with their bully.... If so, how, how much, and any specific kind?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes, plenty here do. I think [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] use it.
Have you tried doing a search? There's plenty of info. here on it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jessica, we give our guys 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil on the evening kibble every other day. I buy the Nuvita, organic virgin oil from Costco. It's $25.00 for a 2 quart tub.

Coconut Oil V Fish Oils

They both are better your dogs health so which do you use for your pet and why?
Tell us your experience with oils. Here is a comparison of the top 2 used for bulldogs.

COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil consists of more than 90% saturated fats, with traces of few unsaturated fatty acids, such as monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most of the saturated fats in coconut oil are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). The main component (more than 40%) of MCTs is lauric acid, followed by capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic. Coconut oil also contains about 2% linoleic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and about 6% oleic acid (monounsaturated fatty acids). Coconut oil is higher in Lauric acid than most foods. The only other abundant source found in nature is breast milk. Lauric acid plays a large role in keeping infants from getting viral, bacterial and protozoal infections.
In much the same way, coconut oil can help your dog with specific ailments and contribute to overall health. Capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their anti-fungal effects.

BENEFITS

Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin
Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
Can also help protect your dog against skin cancer and reduce age spots
Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health such as preventing osteoporosis
Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
Helps prevent or control diabetes
Helps reduce weight, increases energy
Aids in arthritis or ligament problems

VS

FISH OIL
Has omega3 fatty acids and these omega-3 fatty acids come in more than one form. The types found in fish, called DHA and EPA, seem to have the strongest health benefits. It is said that the omega 3 are fragile and likely wont survive in bags of kibble or maybe rancid before adding it so giving it yourself maybe a better option. Krill oil and whole fish also provide EPA and DHA that may be better absorbed, providing similar benefits in smaller doses.

BENEFITS
Reducing inflammation due to conditions such as arthritis, allergies, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Regulating the immune system, boosting those that are suppressed and calming overactive immune systems for dogs with allergies or autoimmune diseases.
Aiding in mental development of fetuses and puppies, and improving cognitive function in older dogs.
Lowering blood pressure and triglycerides.
Providing support for dogs with kidney disease, heart disease, and cancer.
Promoting weight loss in overweight dogs.
Decreased shedding
Adds moisture to dry, irritated skin
May be used to enhance your pet's appetite by adding an appealing fish flavor
Reduced Joint Discomfort
Renewed Energy
Keeping Blood Triglycerides in Check

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I also use the Kirkland Signature kind from Costco. I give mine a teaspoon or tablesoon with their food 1-2 times a day.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I use the extra-virgin CO from Trader Joe's. I rub some on Finn b/c he has itchy skin and I also put a tspn in his food once or twice a day.

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
We started using CO with Diesel about 2 weeks ago and already he seems less itchy and has less of that bulldog smell. He loves it! We give it to him right off the spoon about 3 times a week.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Taco LOVES it. Bed time treat over here, or desert. Funny about the "bulldog smell" lol, totally know it.

Smashers

Jan 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Does anyone alternate between coconut oil and fish oil? Or is it best to just stick to one?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does anyone alternate between coconut oil and fish oil? Or is it best to just stick to one?

Not that I know of, but it is propably better to stick with one or the other....

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I feed Salmon Tunaili from Fromm and add 1 tbsp coconut oil on his food and on his cuts with a coconut soaked q-tip

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I switch between the two, but use all if one first so the oil (especially the salmon oil) doesn't get too old. Coconut oil does have a longer shelf life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello. I am from India. Have a 3+ month old EB puppy and an adult boxer.
Yes I do use coconut oil, but not orally. As supplements, I use salmon oil and flaxseed oil.
Flaxseed oil is really good for the coat and is also a anti-inflammatory remedy in case of joint pain.

Coconut oil is very good for cuts/rashes/sores. Has a cooling effect on raw skin.
Get food grade coconut oil when possible (any Indian store in your area should carry it).
This way when you apply it on cuts and sores and your dog licks it, there should be no problem.
If administering orally, start 1/2 tsp per day. Sometimes coconut oil can cause loose bowel movement.

Coconut oil is very effective in killing lice/fleas/ticks. All these parasites breathe through exoskeleton. So when you find a tick just rub in some coconut oil (or olive oil) in that area.
In a few minutes, the tick will die an release the grip on skin. This way it is easy to remove and will not break skin (as compared to yanking with tweezers)
After tick removal, rub out any remaining oil with a tissue. Burn the dead tick before disposing.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda

I alternate between the two but when I run out of salmon oil I'll stop giving it to my guys as I alternate between whole Sardines one day and Fermented fish stock the next which I think is much better for them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.