maggiemashinske

Jan 3, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
I'm hoping for a little help to get my EB some relief. She is 5 months old. About a month ago she came down with demodex mange, we did the dips and it looks like it is cleared/clearing up. No itching around the eyes and her fur has grown back. This is where I believe my issues started. To get her to take her pills for the mange we were putting them in fromm canned food which now that I look at it contains chicken. We also switched her from royal canine to from puppy food which also contains chicken and isn't grain free. So now that the mange has cleared up she has what looks like chin acne and she keeps itching making it red and inflamed. I am by no means a expert this is my first bulldog. But this are the steps I think I should take to fix the issue.
1. I am putting her on a fromm food with NO chicken in it.
2. No treats with chicken in them
3. witch hazel to clean her chin/muzzle 2 times a day
4. An I was thinking about doing the ounce of fermented fish on her food at dinner time
5. She also receives a daily puppy vitamin.
6. She also get benadryl starting today. I think this should help with the itching.
Any thing else that I am doing wrong or should do I would be very grateful. I can stand to watch her itch even the slightest bit. thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!!

Great plan... also keep her chin dry after she drinks from the water bowl.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
That has changed Riggins life....his skin and shedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
maggiemashinske

maggiemashinske

Jan 3, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Yeah I noticed she started shedding too! really weird?

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I posted on a different thread about this. Riggins face was terrible. Bumps and they would bleed everywhere. His shedding was awful. We switched him to Fromm Pork & Peas because it does not contain chicken fat....beef Friars does not either. Stainless dish, no baby wipes on his face...only witch hazel due to the drying agent, coconut oil melted on his dinner and the fermented fish. Amazing transformation! Only time we have any issues with the bumps is if we run out of the fish, which I try to keep stocked in the freezer. [emoji4]

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Sorry....I meant beef friatta. Spell check! Lol

OP
maggiemashinske

maggiemashinske

Jan 3, 2015
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
I can't find the answers fermented fish. any alternative that is comparable?

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Buttercup gets pustules on her chin. When we visited my parents' carpet-free and very clean home the pustules and red chin disappeared, but promptly returned after we got home. Her chin gets red after she lies on our carpet, so we suspect it's the carpet (maybe the associated dust mites and/or irritating carpet fabric). We are pretty sure she is allergic to dust as we noticed much less snoring when she sleeps on a carpet-free floor or on a bed, while her nose gets more congested and she snores more loudly when sleeping on the carpeted floor (even with her blanket). We give her a blanket to lie on but she often hangs her head off of it. I vacuum aggressively but it just does not keep the dust away.

We hope to do allergy shots for the dust but for now I use chlorhexidine on her chin, wipe her chin with a dry towel after eating/drinking, and try to keep her chin off the carpet. Will probably let her start sleeping on the bed with her blanket, tho' I dread getting that yeasty paw smell out of our comforter...more prominent now that her paws get wet many times/day in the snow, even tho' we dry with a towel.

I wonder if the fish product works by reducing allergies that cause skin barrier problems which allow yeast and bacteria to grow. We may try it as the topical coconut oil seemed to cause itching so we stopped it in her food and on her skin.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.