General Question Minor Limp in front leg ( only after awakening)

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello. I used to take Buddy my 2 year 9 month old male ebd to the local dog park in the summer really early ( 630 am till 700 am) so he could get some exercise , run around and play with other dogs before the heat sets in here in S.FL. I noticed a few times he would limp a bit. Not right after leaving the park but after he slept then woke up hours later. Now it is winter and I can take him out where I live without the extreme heat that can be unbearable here but lately I have noticed at times Buddy will limp a bit.. Not really bad and it does not last long. It is when he first comes off the couch or bed and he is still half asleep.. After he is awake a bit it goes away. I brought him to the vet about this a few months ago and she felt all over him. Squeezing every joint in his body but couldn't identify the problem. It went away but now months later it is back.. I am a bit worried. He goes in for surgery on the 8th of January for his stenoic nare/ palate problem ( help him breath better) but I am wondering what this could be? It is in one of his front limbs or joints.. I have faithfully been giving him 2 glucosamine chews daily since someone at the dog park told me about them. I just wanted to see if this sounds familiar and or has anyone here had any similar issues with their ebd too? Thank you !

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hopefully it's nothing, but it does sound like arthritis.
Have them do an x-ray on that leg/hip while he's under for his surgery. The x-ray will show any joint issues as well as arthritis.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed - sounds like arthritis -- as Ellie suggested ask for the xrays while he is under for the surgery

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree, get an X-ray done so you know what's going on. Glad to hear you're giving a glucosamine as well.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
That's what we will do then. Arthritis at 2 year 9 months? I guess in dog years he is a lot older. I don't know the math but ok Thanks everyone.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with others. Unfortunately arthritis can start even earlier. Fish oil is also good for joints.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks My vet actually told me fish oil was good for scratching as well.

DieselsMom

Nov 18, 2014
Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
My Diesel pup (6 months old) will do this as well. We just figured his leg fell asleep while he was sleeping and he's walking it off. He is fine after a couple of minutes and hasn't slowed down at all.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
My 7 month does this too. Could it be that when he wakes up hes jumping down and straining himself? Our bed is far too high for Bolder but every morning he jumps off and bottoms out. I really think he strains himself doing this, but shakes it off after a minute or so. He does have has a set of stairs and a turnk he can use, but being a knuckle head pup, he likes to jump.

My lab at 6 months developed ED and HD, her front limp was completely different. The more she would play the worse her limp got. She could never stretch it out.

Good luck and keep us informed....

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
No sometimes even after getting up off the floor he will do it. It is not jumping although jumping might have played a part in it in the past or at the dog park. The dogs there play so rough and Buddy seemed to always be on his back legs trying to dominate one of his play mates there. I just hope it isn't anything serious. Thanks everybody

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.