Sundowner's Syndrome

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Does anyone here have any experience dealing with a pup that has Sundowner's Syndrome (Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome)?

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/cognitive...me-dogs?page=1

It came up in conversation that I was having lately, and kind of peaked my curiosity. My dad has been suffering for years with Dimentia and Altzheimer's disease and I believe also had Sundowner's (his problems would kick in at night). It made me wonder how people would handle this in pups, got to think that it is tough especially with all I went through with my dad for so many years.

So if anyone has any experience or any cool links, could you please share here? Thanks!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My 10 year old boxer is having issues… she JUST got diagnosed w/cushings syndrome. She would get up in the middle of the night and pace back and forth in our bedroom (drove us insane). With advice from people on here (and I consulted w/her vet) I give her 2 melatonin (1mg each) about an hour before bedtime. Pacing has stopped thankfully… Lol I also use melatonin to help fall asleep, it really does help… it's a natural supplement.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do not have experience, but I tagged Lynn -- she may have some more insight and Tracey was the other I thought of

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8179]BrianW[/MENTION] I took care of my father, who had Alz. and Sundowners. I had two dogs-but one was from old age, and the other,who died at one year of age, had a brain tumor. I have never had experience with a pup who had been diagnosed with this. I am sorry I can give no help for you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.