kennel cough

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Buddy caught Kennel cough from a dog at the local dog park where I took him this past summer. The dumb owner ( or lets say ignorant) just kept bringing his dog each day to the park. A few of us mentioned to the owner that the cough sounded bad and he should take his dog to the vet ect. Well I think it was about 6 ppl's dogs who got it. I took Buddy because even though he was an adult his cough was deep and horse sounding and my vet guessed as well ,it was kennel cough. I do not think there is a test for kennel cough. There is a vaccine ( bordatella) if I remember correctly but evidently kennel cough itself is like the flu or a cold and several virus's cause it. Buddy got better after a few days of medication but it is still extremely contagious for 5 to 6 weeks I believe. Hope he is feeling better.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The way it was explained to me- there is a blood test you can but it needs to be done very early on. Thing is, no one knows their dog is sick until the symptoms start so the test is pointless.

My vet was able to diagnose based on the video I showed her of him coughing. But yeah, it's not a definite type of diagnosis, it's just based on the symptoms you describe to your vet.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
You definitley need a bully savvy vet. The minute I took Tyson to our vet he knew what it was. After the first round of antibiotics didn't seem to do what it needed to he had me come in and then he ran a blood test. He was able to decipher that the KC needed a different strain of antibiotics. He gave me the new one, didn't charge for the follow-up and things improved greatly after that. I would definitely check the list of tried and true recommended vets and hopefully one will be close enough for you. Good luck. It really is miserable hearing them honking away.

OP
Paul Stott

Paul Stott

Dec 29, 2014
eric had to go back to breeder as the problem was alot more complicated than just a cough /kennel cough :fie:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Really sorry to hear it. Do you mind sharing what the diagnosis was?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=13421]Paul Stott[/MENTION] - like [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] mentioned above, great idea! Also, I've put the humidifier on for Tyson when he was having some issues, it seemed to help him sleep better. So if you have one, turn it on for him, and place it near him. I just used a small stool to prop it up near where he sleeps! Hope he gets to feeling well soon!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
eric had to go back to breeder as the problem was alot more complicated than just a cough /kennel cough :fie:

Hello, Paul, I went back to your former postings (which I had missed)
and wondered as to the Vet's correct dx after incorrect one of kennel
cough? Are these experienced BULLY Vets because a rattling noise in
his chest IS NOT normal even for a bulldog, I'd be concerned :(

Most Reactions

Members online