URGENT!!! Need Help - Limping = Tibial-plateau-leveling osteotomy

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
So Brock my crazy Bulldog who thinks he's a greyhound was running around the other day in the yard, came inside tired and took a nap but when he woke up he had a limp.

This has happened in the past when he would go to the dog park and over do it and we use to have Metacam for it and would give him a dose and the next day and on he would be fine.

We called and made a vet appointment for the next day since we couldn't find the bottle and we let him sleep through the night without any pain meds and this morning he was limp free. Over the course of the day he was running around with Brink and walking without any issue. We kept our vet appointment so we could have him looked over anyway and get another bottle of the Metacam to keep around for play days and after looking him over they said he had tore his Cranial cruciate ligament and would need tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. All my vet did was touch and move him around a bit.

I have two questions, has anyone's Bulldog tore basically their ACL and continued to put pressure on it with running around and playing and walking/jumping? I highly feel if anything he may have pulled it the other day as he occasionally has done in the past but if it was torn as the vet said he would not have started walking around on it and putting the stress of running and jumping on it.

Two does anyone in the Chicago area have a vet they recommend that we could take Brock to for a second opinion? If surgery needs to be done I get it we got VPI and can get care credit, but Brock is walking around fine and there was no visual or conclusive type of test done to confirm and show me that there is indeed a need for this invasive procedure.

I do not want to have Brock go in for major surgery for no reason.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Many have had one or the other procedure done for their bully... It is actually very common in the breed. I went through the ACL twice with Nitschke... Also keep in mind Bulldogs have a high pain tolerance and even though he is walking 'fine' does not mean he isn't injured. A second opinion is a great idea.

i am from PA but once used a vet inNaperville that was awesome... I'll have to try and dig up the name of it for you

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
I know it is a common surgery, my concern was the half hazard way it was diagnosed, I just want to be sure.

My vet said they would be inserting a breathing tube through his throat for the surgery, for anyone who has had this done was that common practice?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know it is a common surgery, my concern was the half hazard way it was diagnosed, I just want to be sure.

My vet said they would be inserting a breathing tube through his throat for the surgery, for anyone who has had this done was that common practice?

We haven't had this before, but I think getting a second opinion is a good idea.

Breathing tubes are used in most surgeries, then they can apply gas anesthesia (isofloraine) which is a safer route.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

When Nitschke messed his up... out vet pretty much did the same thing -- pulled and sort of twisted/flet around the knee and said -- ACL tear with a loose kneecap

Also -- this is the vet we used when we were visiting Chicago and our boy got very sick, they were fantastic!

Naperville IL Veterinarian | Naperville Animal Hospital, Naperville IL

Bulldogmama1

Dec 26, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lewis and Stella
I have been round and round with this type of surgery. You could crate him for several weeks and hope that it heals on its own. We tried everything. Finally our local vet did a tightrope procedure. It didn't work. He then did the surgery a month later using a fishing line type material. Big mistake. We ended up taking him to University of Wisconsin Veterinary School in Madison. We should have taken him there in the first place. We ended up having the TPLO surgery done. Finally, our boy was walking better the day after surgery then the previous 3 months. I would suggest taking him to Madison to the UW Veterinary School/clinic orthopedic department. Worth the drive.

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Just wanted to keep everyone updated, we went for a second opinion, went to a vet that the family has used through everything from regular visits to cancer issues knowing they dont sugar coat any news and we gave her the same information we gave to our primary vet to see if we would get the same diagnosis and the vet did a much more in depth physical examination and found nothing broken or torn with Brock, she said he probably pulled something when playing and to just restrict his movement through the weekend and gave us a few pain pills to use as needed.

I'm very glad we went with our instincts regarding this, there was just so many things that went affected (eating, playing, alertness and energy were all his usual, and he isnt walkinh, running or jumping like a surgery needing injuried dog). We think if anything our primary was possibly trying to do the surgery as a preventive but how unacceptable to say a ligament that is not torn is rather then just discussing with us his thoughts.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just wanted to keep everyone updated, we went for a second opinion, went to a vet that the family has used through everything from regular visits to cancer issues knowing they dont sugar coat any news and we gave her the same information we gave to our primary vet to see if we would get the same diagnosis and the vet did a much more in depth physical examination and found nothing broken or torn with Brock, she said he probably pulled something when playing and to just restrict his movement through the weekend and gave us a few pain pills to use as needed.

I'm very glad we went with our instincts regarding this, there was just so many things that went affected (eating, playing, alertness and energy were all his usual, and he isnt walkinh, running or jumping like a surgery needing injuried dog). We think if anything our primary was possibly trying to do the surgery as a preventive but how unacceptable to say a ligament that is not torn is rather then just discussing with us his thoughts.

Ugh that really upsets me!! But on the bright side, Brock is okay! I'm so glad you got a second opinion!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

great move getting the second opinion and listening to your gut

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.