First of many questions.....

Swanny

Jan 26, 2011
I kinda hijacked another thread, felt bad after I posted, so I wanted to redo it properly.......

My recently adopted 2 year old bully named, Gator, has I guess what would be a screw-tail that is tight over his bottom. So, after he does the bidniss, there is always a little leftover hung up. Now, I have 3 kids, and while the smell might be a lil worse, I got no problem taking care of the new family pet. So, I reach down there with a baby wipe, and get ready to alleviate the dingleberries, and here comes this 60lb bully's head right after my arm and his cat-like reflexes of pulling away. Now, since I have not owned this pup since day one, I'm skittish. I can't get up there and do what needs to be done. What I was told the prev owner did was basically sit on him to keep him down. I'm just thinking that maybe there is a better way. Cause honestly, I can't get him still enough to even try that!

Was his tail not docked properly? Is that an option considering his age?

There are other issues as well. You can tell he is a little head-strong. He kinda thinks that the shoe is on the other foot and he rules the roost. I have flipped him over a couple times and just kinda pinned him down the best that I could, but again I'm still a little skittish about it too cause he isn't mine since he was a pup. I'm not a new dog owner. My last dog was a French Mastiff, and he knew his place. But I had him from a puppy. (He had to be put down at 4 years old due to heart problems.) So, I'm looking for all kinds of guidance and advice.

Overall, he seems to be just a lazy, docile bully, with a tinge of an alpha-demeanor. I think he growled at my youngest, but I can't really tell because of the breathing. It was more the situation and positioning of him and her that made me think he was growling....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hi [MENTION=1768]Swanny[/MENTION] and Gator, and welcome to the site!!!

As you're about to find out we love to see pics on this site! So can't wait to see Gator!!!!

Our newest addition, Daddy, also has a corkscrew tail so I know EXACTLY what you mean. We use the sensitive baby wipes too, because they are good for wiping out the wrinkles daily. I just kinda either sandwich him between my legs with his head behind so I can get to his behind or I squeeze him into a corner. He always gets baby carrots, frozen green beans, frozen blueberries or a chunk of cucumber as a treat so he has learnt that if he "takes one for the team" so to speak ... then he's going to get something yummy at the end of it. One thing I have learnt is that bulldogs love their food SO much that you can more-or-less bribe them to do anything if you've got something edible in your hand!!

As for the alpha-demeanor ... well you don't say how long you've had Gator but you obviously got him when he was an older dog so I'm sure he is trying to work out where he is in the hierarchy. So right now I expect he's pushing the boundaries to see how far he can go. You say you have three kids, well I'm sure that they are going to test to see what the limits are if they haven't done already. So just imagine Gator as your teenage son who is just trying to see how much he can get away with before he loses the cell phone!!! You wouldn't be skittish in front of your son or back down because then who would the parent be ... you or him. It's the same with Gator.... you are the boss and you have to tell your fur-kid that he does as he's told or there will be trouble!!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi Swanny, welcome! Thanks for adopting a bully!

When I need to really wipe my bully's behind and he's not staying still, I wrap one arm around his waist, in front of his hind legs) with me facing the opposite way he's facing. He usually can't budge out quickly enough so I get a good few seconds to thoroughly clean.

I don't have any advice for the apha issue though. Sorry! Stiggy's my first dog and he's very docile as well so I haven't experienced any issues in regards to being alpha. Someone here will definitely give some inputs though!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome [MENTION=1768]Swanny[/MENTION]! Very nice to meet you and your bully boy!

I don't have issues with an inverted tail, but Molly does have a tail pocket. Honestly I would have never known it was there if I had not learned to look! :eek:

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] has a dog named Vegas who had his tail amputated just for this reason. Bulldogs do not generally have their tails docked, and only do so if there is an issue. You may want to discuss this with your bulldog vet and see if it is the right choice for you and your bully.

When you pin him to submit him, first off I recommend wearing long sleeve shirts for the first few times you do it. They will try to kick your arms off and you don't want to get afraid or be scratched. Be very STERN, tell them to stay still and look into their eyes. Let him know you mean business and you are NOT going to let go. You must be determined. The longer you pin him the better, and DO NOT let go, no matter what, if he wiggles for 5 minutes you must hold him until he submits and gives in.

Since you have 3 kids (I have 4) make sure you teach your kids boundries. For example, my babies know they can crawl all over Molly. She does not mind, and she is probably their favorite playmate. But I have taught them that they canNOT do it to the puppies (they are still growing), and not to try it with Mandy or Jesse, who just would not appreciate their space being stepped into.

Anyway that is all I can think of at the moment, hope it helps!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Just thought of something in regards to the pinning down ... you need to have one hand on the chest and one hand around the side of the head by the jaw. One of your hands would be the weight of the pack leaders body, and the other hand is the jaw of the pack leader. If Gator is a big boy then more pressure should lightly be applied to the one at the chest but only lightly. This is because that is where the weight of the pack leaders body would be and you are trying to replicate that as much as possible.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to the site. You are in the right place! I am fairly new to Bullies too. I got my first Bully puppy in July, my two girls are 8 months old. I have learned so much here. Ask whatever questions you have, there will always be lots of members with good advise to give! I didn't know that Bullies were born with their tails as-is til I got my first one. I thought they were docked too.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! I think you have gotten a grip of great responses already. I am not much help in the pack leader situation but you do need to make sure your baby knows you ARE in charge. And yes food works wonders in training these kids so use it. As for the tail, your bullys tail wasnt docked (most likely) they come short and cork screwy in most cases. I am unclear a little, are you cleaning the tail pocket or just the butt? My boy loves his butt to be wiped cuz he knows that I know he went potty and he will be getting a carrot or something else for sure. He is like a bucking bronco tho with excitement but once I get ahold of him he holds still. Hopefully once your pup knows that a treat will follow he will like it too.

OP
S

Swanny

Jan 26, 2011
Well, I will be honest and say I don't know the difference between the tail pocket, and butt. I would say, I'm trying to get the tail pocket. Today, because of him reaching back with his head, I gave him a bath and was able to get him to remain peaceful and still enough for me to get some off. He doesn't like the bath, but he doesn't hate it either so that is a good thing, I just don't see myself being able to give him a daily bath.

As for the alpha behavior; it is strange because sometimes he just rolls over when I am getting down on the ground and close to him and I just lightly push down and he is ok. So, I think there is some headway being made there. But, when he starts to squirm a little bit, is this when I need to let him up? I mean, how long is the submission? Cause when he rolls over and I have him down for a good 30 seconds and he is just still, then he starts to squirm, do I keep him pinned at that time, and for how long?? I have had him since Sunday, so I'm trying to let him get acclimated as much as possible, with letting him know the expectations. If he could talk he would know the rules already! ;)

Thanks for the info about the docking. I knew they had short tails, but I really did think they were docked. He goes to the vet on Monday (I work an evening shift and get off @ 1am so it really limits what I can and cant do on the days that I work) and I will report back with what the vet says about the tail. I really, really want this to work out for both him and us because he is a great dog! And, I will get some pics up, but I lost the cable to phone and camera!

Off to work... Will check back later to the responses, and thank you all!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
The tail pocket is up under the tail where it cant be seen. Some pups have deep pockets and need cleaned thoroughly and others not so much. My boy has a pocket but it isnt deep enough to cause him any problems. Thankfully with him we just have to wipe the hershey kiss nugget that doesnt fall off when he poos sometimes. :)

I dont know how long you should be keeping him on his back since I am horrible with this training stuff. :( Sorry. Still waiting for pics too by the way. haha

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My vet told me BabyGirl has a very tight tail. Corkscrew and a pocket. It is very difficult to get my finger in there. Use to use Qtips but found baby wipes were better. I try to put a little lubricant too so it won't be so uncomfortable for her. I'm lucky because she will actually run up to me and give me her tail end. I have a Frenchton who has learned to stand between my legs so I can clean his bottom after he does his business. My two bullies have picked up on it and now they all get in line to have their tooshies wiped! I just have to say DRIVE THRU and they get into position.

I hope I don't have to have BabyGirls tail removed but it can be so stressful for her. I just try to stay on top of the situation with the cleaning but sometime I wonder if her twisty tail is under pressure from sinking in. In any case I,ll post any new info as it developes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online